Minor damage from postage

Hi,

A friend shipped a retro video game. 

When it arrived it sustained some minor damage in post. (Cardboard box got a bit squished.)

She has shipped similar products domestically in the same packaging without any issues

The buyer is demanding a full refund plus 20 euro for customs.  

I've suggested that she offer the buyer a partial refund. And see what the buyer replys

Any advice on what the seller should do?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Firstly, has the buyer send any photos as proof of damage? Just because they have said it in an email, does not make it true.

If the cardboard box got a bit squished , then it should have gone in a box with extra padding inside (either bubble wrap or foam peanuts).

In terms of the Customs, Taxes and Duties, the buyer is ALWAYS responsible for that - there is a specific Ebay policy about it. The seller can advise the buyer as such. Here is the relevant link which the seller can forward to the buyer:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/international-shipping-rules.html

I'm not sure if the whole thing warrants a full refund - perhaps the buyer should return it instead. I'm never a fan of a buyer getting to keep the item AND getting all their money back.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Pictures were provided and the you can clealy see the box being folded on the side where it got squished, I've attached the picture the seller sent for reference. 

The seller understands now that it should of gone in a box. She normally sends it wrapped in bubble wrap inside a paddes satchel. 

She would be willing to give a refund if the item is returned but she is concerend that the item will sustain more damage on way back thus lowering it's vaule as a collectors item. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

So it is only the box the game comes in which is slightly damaged, not the game ?

If that is the case then a partial refund offered sounds like the way to go.

Lets wait and see if the buyer accepts that.

(If a full refund was to be given, I would not refund until item is returned)

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

If the game was in near mint condition (which it looks like it was, prior to being crushed), a straight box is worth significantly more than a game that looks well used but still complete, especially with old Nintendo games prior to the GameCube/DS, as all of them had flimsy cardboard packaging (e.g. cereal box cardboard, not corrugated) which only needed to accidentally meet the ground once to be damaged. Sadly, by the OP's friend not knowing that AP and/or the postal service on the other side of the world is rough with items has made this game worth a lot less on the collector's market. I guarantee that the cartridge itself is no worse off, NES games could survive Chernobyl and still work!

What I don't get however is the €20 customs fee. To me it seems more like the buyer trying to get extra cash on top of a free game. Not once have I had a game caught up in customs when either selling or buying.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@heihachi_73 wrote:

What I don't get however is the €20 customs fee. To me it seems more like the buyer trying to get extra cash on top of a free game. Not once have I had a game caught up in customs when either selling or buying.

It depends on the cost of the item and the Customs threshhold of the country it was posted too.

Not many countries are as generous as Australia where we can import items up to $1000 without paying duty.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@gjb_gaming wrote:

Hi,

A friend shipped a retro video game. 

When it arrived it sustained some minor damage in post. (Cardboard box got a bit squished.)

She has shipped similar products domestically in the same packaging without any issues

The buyer is demanding a full refund plus 20 euro for customs.  

I've suggested that she offer the buyer a partial refund. And see what the buyer replys

Any advice on what the seller should do?

I don't think your friend is going to get out of this one well.

The problem is the damaged box has lowered the value to collectors. I am sure your friend knows that.

She can offer a partial refund but there is every chance that will be knocked back by the sounds of it.

If it is, I would suggest she offers full refund on return of the item. It does mean she will have to pay return postage too.

But if I were selling, I would refuse to be paying any customs fees and I would be telling them that politely, upfront. I can actually understand where the buyer is coming from in a way but this is at least one thing where ebay won't be on their side and won't refund that 20 euros, so there is no way they can force that issue.

All they can insist on is a refund & return postage paid and that's what the seller needs to offer. Full refund & return or partial refund and buyer keeps it. Give them the choice so they feel at least they are making the decision.

Knowing they won't get their customs paid might swing the balance so the buyer may reconsider taking a partial refund.

But whatever, I would say the seller will get a red dot for this transaction as the buyer will be unhappy.

I wouldn't let it influence me though-I would not be paying the customs duty.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply