Misrepresentation

We've are still fairly new, really, and plagued in our area of interest by the plethora of misinformation and misrepresentation we come across here on eBay, and of course, elsewhere.

I do most of the listings. The boys hand me a pipe with a bit of paper and scratchy notes and away I go. But, theres one in particular they've done themselves and I need to use it every time we list certain brands of pipe. Such is their determination to in their words, 'put things right.'

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132474713318

I tell them to just 'let it go' because I think it invites some questions, statements really, and attention we can do without. If people want to buy cheap, misrepresented items, let them.

What do you think? This really bothers me, so if you have the time to have a look?? It's a lengthy listing, so grab a cup of coffee!!

Thanks,

Melina.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Misrepresentation

As I am not into pipes and know nothing about them that is WAY too much to read.

However if you get a buyer that is interested they MIGHT bother to read it all.

Some times less is best but with an acurate desription and IF a buyer asks a question then "get on your soap box" as you put it.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

Normally I would say TLDR.

But anyone interested in your niche market and in particular this item may take the time to read, appreciating the informative approach.

You could perhaps condense it, succinct as possible without losing any info.

Informing a particular industry or it's patrons of pitfalls is always commendable. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

It's a very interesting field. The research we initially did is admittly old now, about ten years ago, but what we found is this....

Casual lookers - those just wanting to buy a pipe, any pipe that looks good and seems to have a good price. They won't read all. They're not interested in history. 

Conversely though, and this is our target market - serious pipe-smokers and collectors, will read all that and much more. They're not in a hurry to buy just any ole pipe. They have a certain amount of knowledge themselves, and in some cases, much more than us. They will 'test' our information with their own research - as I said, they'll read more.

Theres a lot more of course, to the research, but that's the basis of it.

Many sellers in this same market will use short descriptions, but generally they are under-selling their item and that shows in their sales. We do watch. Honestly, I'd love to use one paragraph and walk away, because I know you can see it's tedious work- every listing, almost, is unique to all others - lots of work. How nice it would be to list 20+ items with the one templated description.

Barry and Giorgy, just have this one bee in their bonnet and I know, we all do, it's right be honest and where you can, refute misinformation, but to what length?

We've not had any 'statements' cimevout of those last two listings yet, but they'll come, and I'm on the receiving end. The boys both keep their distance from the computer - scardy cats!!

Anyway, onwards and upwards. And thanks for your thoughts. I rely a lot on your experience.

Melina.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

I'm just going to be frank, and I hope the constructive criticism is taken as it is intended (that is, I mean no offence whatsoever, just putting forth my opinion for consideration).

An eBay listing is to sell a product, and really is not the place for opinion pieces or product articles - personally, I would suggest introducing them to eBay Guides, which is where they can write about the topic to their heart's content, and then link to it in relevant listings for people who want to learn more. I think including the statements about people who wrongly argue on the topic is also not quite the way I'd approach that - I just feel that's a negative approach, where a more positive one would be just saying that there's a common misconception about X, but here's the facts and sources to prove them. 

I fully understand where the guys are coming from, though, because I have a lot of knolwedge about my own products which just isn't as commonly known as it really should be. There's also a lot of misunderstandings and misrepresentations about materials I use and it's disheartening a bit for me because I obviously won't advertise my items the same as people who either don't know or don't care about the correct information, and as a result it can sometimes make other people's items more appealing, even though the appeal is due to incorrect info. I've shared the information as best I can, via answering simple questions with mini articles Smiley LOL, and putting up FAQs or guides (outside of listings), but the false info is fairly well entrenched these days, sadly. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

Thanks Ghostly One. Oh and No offence taken. It's this cross section of views and advice, and simetimes hard critique, that we've been grateful for, right from the beginning. Things have changed and we've been away a long time. You guys in here have helped us more than you know.

Better still, I fully understand what you're saying, but you've raised something that interests me as a remedy, that I know nothing about - Guides?? At face value this sounds like it may solve more than just the one issue.

If you have some spare time could you please tell me more about it, where to find, how to link etc?

Thanks Ghost. Thanks all.

Melina.

PS....and this time I'll be showing this 'stuff' to Giorgy and Barry. We're here for a long time yet and I really wish they'd become a bit more involved in here. It would save a lot of arguments. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

eBay Guides are a way for members to showcase extensive topic or product knowledge, and help others to learn about and / or help them choose a product that's right for them.

Essentially, it's a platform to write articles, and they can be on any kind of topic related to buying and selling on ebay (eg you'll see ones for choosing fashion items, others on how to spot fakes of a certain item, I've also seen guides about aspects of selling as well - eg various postage services, packaging guides for specific types of items, and so forth). You can format them quite nicely (there's also a format specifically for "Top X Products" kind of lists), add bold headings for different sub-topics, as well as include images and links.

This link will take you to the ebay Guides home page and you'll be able to view published guides there (there's also a link on the top right to "Write A Guide", which will get you started.

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds

And this is the link to the community content policy, which outlines what you can and can't include:

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/member-created-content-ov.html

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

Thanks Ghost, most gratefully 🙂

Melina.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

I know nothing about pipes but if i were to buy one, I would find that an interesting read.

That's me though & it is many others on this forum.

I suspect it would also be most serious collectors or even those who are after a quality pipe.

It is long though. I am convinced the information has to be in that ad. It's important for those who may have a misconception about brands.

The info puts them straight.

But I do think the information may be able to be condensed a little bit without losing the gist. A precis if you like.

When people are paying for a quality product, information & details & talking up will often sway them. I imagine this is the reason for the success of products such as Tupperware. (I know a lot more about Tupperware than pipesSmiley Wink)

For that reason, I think you need to retain most of the details in your ad. People who don't want to can skim over it, others who are interested will read.

I've been on ebay a while & have to admit my ignorance, I know nothing about ebay guides. I wouldn't rely on any potential buyer knowing either or clicking elsewhere for info.

If there is information you want a buyer to see, put it in your ad. Just my 2 cents worth smileywink:

PS If I had to change anything I would just reiterate the evidence that this brand was never Dunhill brand, they were separate. There is a lot of mention of people thinking these were Dunhill seconds (which I'd skip over). They may not be but it tends to suggest they are a lesser pipe. Just leave it at-they are not a rebranded Dunhill.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Misrepresentation

Oh nice pick-up Springy 🙂

And thank you so very much. Like others have, I can tell from your reply you've invested time on our behalf too. Words aren't nearly enough sometimes in acknowledging someone's kindness, but I hope you, and the others know how I feel.

THANK YOU!! I'm allowed to shout - just once 🙂

Melina.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply