Money hold without posting tracking

"from 7 February 2022, if sellers upload valid tracking for less than 95% of their trackable orders, their payments will be placed on hold. "

How dare they hold people's own money. But I expected no less from managed payments. What else..... maybe charging fees for late posting or not answering buyer's messages? Why not, lets do that too, it'll be fun

Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

@retrowise wrote:

"from 7 February 2022, if sellers upload valid tracking for less than 95% of their trackable orders, their payments will be placed on hold. "

How dare they hold people's own money. But I expected no less from managed payments. What else..... maybe charging fees for late posting or not answering buyer's messages? Why not, lets do that too, it'll be fun

Great move by Ebay,  weed out those dodgy sellers.

Message 2 of 70
Latest reply

Why not have a high standard of customer care as a seller? I don't have any issue with it personally and think that everyone should be conscious of buyer satisfaction, especially these days when you want to encourage customers to return your store. And anyway, tracking offers YOU peace of mind, so why not use it? The buyer is paying for the postage so I don't get the reluctance.

Another platform I sell on runs a "Star Seller" rating, which includes 95% tracking, consistent 4 star reviews or higher as well as timely responses to buyer messages.

It's only a matter of time before Ebay instigates message response times as an evaluation target.

Message 3 of 70
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Why not have a high standard of customer care as a seller? .

I think the reluctance is more coming from sellers who have forgotten the customer.

Message 4 of 70
Latest reply

"Great move by Ebay,  weed out those dodgy sellers."

Have you actually read what they are proposing.  They expect 95% compliance with tracking so if you're a small seller and  only sell 19 tracked items a month and miss putting up tracking on 1 item you will be below 95% and have your payments held.   According to you that makes them a dodgy seller, get real.  Its not about not posting straight away or in your handling time, its about not putting up tracking, a seller could be posting straight away 100% of the time but miss uploading once in 19 times so they're dodgy.  Sorry not every seller is as perfect as you.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 5 of 70
Latest reply

@gec2002 wrote:

"Great move by Ebay,  weed out those dodgy sellers."

Have you actually read what they are proposing.  They expect 95% compliance with tracking so if you're a small seller and  only sell 19 tracked items a month and miss putting up tracking on 1 item you will be below 95% and have your payments held.   According to you that makes them a dodgy seller, get real.  Its not about not posting straight away or in your handling time, its about not putting up tracking, a seller could be posting straight away 100% of the time but miss uploading once in 19 times so they're dodgy.  Sorry not every seller is as perfect as you.

I'm glad you can do your math's.

Yes I have read it,  and yes I agree with it.  I sell many more then 19 a month,  so much more effort required,  but I agree 100% with it.

The sales process is an end to end process,  it doesnt end when you collect the money,  if you can't be bothered uploading tracking then you deserve to wait for your money.

Message 6 of 70
Latest reply

I agree @sugar.

Ebay is moving towards a system where there is more seller accountability along the chain from initial purchase through to delivery and buyer satisfaction as there are so many other platforms for people to choose from these days instead of Ebay. Want clothes? Use Depop or Poshmark. Want unique? Go to Etsy. 

Keeping buyers satisfied here is a means of containing them within the Ebay ecosystem. Adding tracking and expecting a high seller standard shouldn't even be an issue. Gosh, if the OP thinks Ebay is hard, try be a seller on Amazon where the benchmarks are much higher.

Message 7 of 70
Latest reply

So you sell more than 19 a month, big deal, so the small seller who accidentally forgets to upload 1 tracking can just suck it up.  Its not a case of not being bothered it's a case of just missing 1 tracking item and being penalised.  eBay should have limits in place to protect small sellers, the same as they do for maximum number of allowed cases, ie 95% and 2 tracking not uploaded before Holds apply.  

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 8 of 70
Latest reply

I am not a huge seller by any means, but I do run 2 Ebay stores, 2 Etsy stores and my own website, and I've still never missed putting in the tracking number in 18 years of selling online. I hold myself accountable before Ebay does it for me.

Message 9 of 70
Latest reply

If you set your postage to "domestic letter untracked" for everything, you'll bypass this requirement entirely. It's about managing customer expectations, I'd say - if a buyer sees a postage method that should have tracking but it's not supplied, they'll ask questions - if they see a method saying untracked, they won;t expect tracking. 

It's only if you have a trackable postage method selected for an item (or the buyer selects it as an upgrade) that holds can apply. 

Message 10 of 70
Latest reply