NEED ADVICE ABOUT A PAID ITEM NOT COLLECTED

Hi All..hope some body can advise me what to do in this sale situation..I sold a car part item on ebay approx 8 weeks ago..It was listed pick up only..The guy purchased it and then paid me through paypal ( all fine so far)..He gave his contact number and i rang him to arrange collection time..He said  he would collect in a few weeks and made a day but when the time came he didnt turn up..I called him and he apologised saying he was called to work...I waited for him to make a new time but weeks passed so i sent him messages through ebay asking him to call..No reply.I tried to call him but his phone no longer recieves voice messsages and he doesnt answer when it rings..I have also sent a text ( no reply)..I keep emailing through the contact buyer in ebay and also  calling but am getting no  where..He once replied to my ebay message a few weeks back saying thanks for reminder but still hasnt made contact..I have been holding this item and his money for over two months now..What do i do ???..

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: NEED ADVICE ABOUT A PAID ITEM NOT COLLECTED

Give the buyer a pick up by date and if it is not picked up you will refund less the fees and storage costs and you can then relist or if sold at auction see if the next bidder is still interested in it.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

tstore
Community Member
Contact him and say if he does not pickup the item by XX/01/2014, item will be disgarded as you are moving house.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

tstore that is not the right way to do things.  In fact its not good advice at all.

OP unfortunately your in a lttle pickle, I would advise you to check on your states consumer laws regarding your situation here in S.A it can be a problem.  Once you have recieved payment the item in question is no longer your to do as you like buy law it is automaticly the property of the buyer.  Now since you have agreed to allow them to collect it, it is also against you so even more you need the owner / buyer to finalise. If they dont then you will need to have the abandon goods laws enforced via what ever method your state requires.  This unfortunately is not an eBay PP problem as you agreed to allow pick up which automaticly disqualifies any insurance PP offer.  

Now depending on the value of the item you could ask your buyer to collect buy a certain date or you will have it disposed of and just do that donate it to aclub or charity do not profit from it,  Then if your buyer decides mths down the track to collect tell them its gone and as a low value item it would not be in there interest to chase it up. It is not whay i would do but some would.  If its a high value item you should either follow your states consumer laws regarding abandoned goods or sell it and refund the original buyer if they decide to finally collect. I personally would just send a polite letter stating that due to no contact and your need to have the item removed that you will apply to your states consumer body to have it finalised under the abandoned goods act.

Hope that helps.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Just add to that be nice about it you don't need the buyer/owner to get **bleep** of they decide to leave a neg feedback. Send it through eBays contact buyer messages so theres a record be nice but firm stating you urgently need it gone most people are reasonable and also incluce a shipping or postage cost so as to show your willing to do it for them. Good luck.
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks all the suggestions are help ful..only a few things im worried about..If i tell the guy to collect soon or i will not keep it he may get upset and give me negative feedback which i dont want as i try so hard to keep it positive..When i did first chat with him he seemed a nice guy just very busy..As its christmas i suppose people some times get behind with priorities..The item was not really very expensive and probably for that reason he is no rush to claim it ( bad luck for me)...I would like to post it to him but just can't make the contact i need to put the offer to him...

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

'Now depending on the value of the item you could ask your buyer to collect buy a certain date or you will have it disposed of'

"tstore that is not the right way to do things. In fact its not good advice at all."

I provide bad advice and then you proceed to repeat said advice.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I wouldn't worry about bad feedback. Item in your words has been sold approximately 8 weeks ago (56 days) and buyers have 60 days to leave feedback for transactions.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

not quit I simply said it was an option and one I wouldn't do but some would meaning you obviously then gave advice they I would use. sheez.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

But if its not 8 weeks ago I would wait till the 56 days were up before proceeding.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
I agree with this comment. You will know the 60 days is up when you yourself will be unable to leave feedback for the buyer, or once it falls off your sold page.
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply