NSW proof of age card for managed payments

lynda_g
Community Member

Has anyone had any success getting ebay to accept the NSW proof of age card as a valid form of ID for the new managed payments system? If so how did you go about this? I have had the restriction put on my account due to not providing a valid ID. However the fact that they list "other form of Govt issued ID" as an option for proving identity on their site would make me think that legally they would have to accept this ID. I have emailed ebay but so far they wont budge. I find the fact they had my ID to validate weeks before I sold anything, and they let me list items unacceptable. They waited until an item sold and after the buyer paid within 20 seconds they restricted my account and are now holding my money. Any smilar experiences? Thanks for any help!!!!

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have had no experience of ebay accepting or not accepting the NSW proof of age card but I do know that it is the most useless bit of plastic I have in my wallet.....I have not found any authorities that will accept it!

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

I used my photo ID issued from the RTA.

So far, so good... it was accepted about 4 weeks ag and no issues with it.

All institutuins (eg banks) use it a legal proof of ID.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

If you have one, try a passport. 

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

yes I think legally they have to but they have stated to me that they will only accept passport or licence. Their solution was for me to get licence or passport. I only sell a few items a month so its not worth my while to pay for a passport just to sell on ebay. I have contacted fair trading about the issue and await their response. If they list "other form of Govt issued photo ID as valid then they must accept it I believe. My proof of age card was accepted for weeks and they only blocked my account once I received a payment which is pretty sneaky

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

I have a passport but it expired about 20 years ago...hahahah ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Have you received any payments yet?

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Why would you bother contacting Fair Trading?

Managed Payments go through Adyen, the new payment provider, not Ebay. Adyen are most likely the ones who have ruled that they will only accept certain types of ID as part of their compliance with the financial regulator.

If you think it's unfair, there are other, less regulated markets for you to sell on, especially if it's only a few items.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

I went through fair trading as I believe the way they put the account on hold and kept the money is unfair. They had the ID for weeks before I made a sale where they could have stopped the account if they knew it wasnt going to be validated. They were able to stop the account seconds after I made a sale and they now have the money. Whether its ebay or another company holding the payment I dont really care, Fair trading are there for a reason and if I think I need to contact them I will. I have battled with ebay for weeks and have numerous emails from them including one where they say they will accept this as ID. I know there are other less regulated platforms out there. I was asking if anyone had any success with using  this as ID with ebay not if there are other selling platforms. Thanks for your input

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Why would you bother contacting Fair Trading?

Managed Payments go through Adyen, the new payment provider, not Ebay. Adyen are most likely the ones who have ruled that they will only accept certain types of ID as part of their compliance with the financial regulator.

If you think it's unfair, there are other, less regulated markets for you to sell on, especially if it's only a few items.

Thats a hot take man how do you compare an Australia Bank to an overseas based company?

Proof of age is accepted at all banks but banks generally speaking are more heavily regulated than a company such as Adyen.

Further more this a post of legitimate criticism. No need to see it is unfair because it is unfair to some.

Some people being permanent residents cannot actually go on MP even tho they can legally work here.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply