NSW proof of age card for managed payments

lynda_g
Community Member

Has anyone had any success getting ebay to accept the NSW proof of age card as a valid form of ID for the new managed payments system? If so how did you go about this? I have had the restriction put on my account due to not providing a valid ID. However the fact that they list "other form of Govt issued ID" as an option for proving identity on their site would make me think that legally they would have to accept this ID. I have emailed ebay but so far they wont budge. I find the fact they had my ID to validate weeks before I sold anything, and they let me list items unacceptable. They waited until an item sold and after the buyer paid within 20 seconds they restricted my account and are now holding my money. Any smilar experiences? Thanks for any help!!!!

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: NSW proof of age card for managed payments

Yes, 3 or 4 now.

The whole process has been pretty hassle free.

I sold a book on last Thursday and it's still processing, which means possibly Monday before it goes through. The only hiccup so far.

My account isn't restricted in any way.
Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

This is a problem with how they are verifying the IDs being provided - proof of age cards are acceptable in person by the vast majority of places, but not always online as they can't necessarily be verified digitally, while driver's licenses, passports and even medicare cards can be. 

Other payment providers or online markeplaces etc ask for a visual copy, so they want you to submit scans (front and back) of the ID you're using (this is how it's done on Etsy, and Adyen do their payment processing, too). This not only takes a bit longer and requires man hours, but sketches a lot of people out, as it means absolutely everything is in the possession of the website / payment processor and they worry it would make it infinitely easier for identity theft if that data is compromised.

Verifying IDs digitally eliminates that concern, but also limits the types of ID that can be used. Personally I think having both options would be best - digital verification for those who have D/L's or passports, manual / visual verification for those who have other forms of acceptable ID. They have that AFAIK for bank account verification (I was able to verify mine with a screenshot, others have had to log in from eBay), so I can't see why they can't have it for ID, too. 

Some may think I'm being hyperbolic, but I absolutely see it as discriminatory, if they won't provide any options at all for people who are excluded from being able to get a driver's license (eg legally blind people), and can't afford a passport just to be able to sell on eBay. 

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

thanks for your understanding!! I have sent them a scan but they are still holding the $$ and refuse to unblock.  I see it as discriminatory as well as bad business practice. It will cost them alot of sellers and then the buyers will disappear. At the end of the day I can sell somewhere else or not at all but I feel annoyed that they are keeping my money....

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

This is a problem with how they are verifying the IDs being provided - proof of age cards are acceptable in person by the vast majority of places, but not always online as they can't necessarily be verified digitally, while driver's licenses, passports and even medicare cards can be. 

Other payment providers or online markeplaces etc ask for a visual copy, so they want you to submit scans (front and back) of the ID you're using (this is how it's done on Etsy, and Adyen do their payment processing, too). This not only takes a bit longer and requires man hours, but sketches a lot of people out, as it means absolutely everything is in the possession of the website / payment processor and they worry it would make it infinitely easier for identity theft if that data is compromised.

Verifying IDs digitally eliminates that concern, but also limits the types of ID that can be used. Personally I think having both options would be best - digital verification for those who have D/L's or passports, manual / visual verification for those who have other forms of acceptable ID. They have that AFAIK for bank account verification (I was able to verify mine with a screenshot, others have had to log in from eBay), so I can't see why they can't have it for ID, too. 

Some may think I'm being hyperbolic, but I absolutely see it as discriminatory, if they won't provide any options at all for people who are excluded from being able to get a driver's license (eg legally blind people), and can't afford a passport just to be able to sell on eBay. 

1) Agreed. What I think eBay's main issue is, driver license and passports are easily verifiable and hard to fake. As long as this has been announced a long time ago in when ever it was 2018?? It literally is still rushed out. Sorry to say but the eBay staff themselves have no idea whats happening. I do agree some concepts are generally good about it. But the fact eBay don't have solid answers for a lot of things, Like some sellers not getting payouts, some sellers not having a passport or drivers license. Is genuinely concerning.. I think it come down to "**bleep** we need to move away from PayPal, whats the fastest way to verify the ID of millions of sellers in Australia"

2) I can think of a perfect example. My friend sells games on eBay and he can't get on MP even if he wanted to. He doesn't have a valid license due to losing it. He isn't a citizen of Australia but a permanent resident so even if he wanted to he can't get a passport too. When he contacts eBay they just go back and forth with him telling him to get a passport or license.

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Having a license hasn't helped me any, two weeks of daily calls and contact and money still on hold.

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

How does one become a permanent resident but not a citizen that can't get a passport?

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

It all comes down to getting a visa for permanent residency Instyle, whereas citizenship requires 4 years residency in Australia and at least 1 year of residency after getting a "permanent residency visa".

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

What padi said. My friend was born overseas but has been in Australia since he was pretty young. He can apply for citizenship. But will have to forfeit his overseas citizenship & passport. Will allow him to vote and travel. He has not intention to travel and doesn't care for politics hahaha
Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

How young was he when he arrived here?

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

@instylecollectables wrote:

How does one become a permanent resident but not a citizen that can't get a passport?

My Canadian husband came here over 50 years ago on a Permanent Resident Visa.

After a few years he decided to go to England where he worked for a few months before coming back to Australia where he has been ever since.

He has never become a citizen but has always voted and paid tax the same as Aussie citizens.

One of the reasons that he never applied for citizenship was that his family was still in Canada and the USA and at the time it was advantageous for travelling to either country to travel on a Canadian Passport.

Just as an example....soon after we were married his Mother was very ill and he was asked to come home to see her.  His passport had expired and he was a bit worried about getting there in time.

He had new passport photos taken in the morning and took them to the Canadian Consulate in Sydney.....and was on a plane that night.

At the time it would have taken me over a week to get an Australian Passport to go with him.

Many years later he wanted to go to Seattle WA for his brother's 75th birthday.  It was way cheaper and faster for him to get a new Canadian Passport than it was for me to get an Australian Passport....and he did not have to pay for a US Visa but I did....and it added a week to the time as it had to go to Canberra to the American Embassy to get the Visa.

He has less trouble identifying himself with his documentation (and a drivers licence) than I do and I was born here (but don't have a licence).

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply