Negative feedback received because buyer did not read description properly

Hi all,

Long time ebayer, first time poster. I have never had any issues with ebay or buyers. Have always been helpful to my buyers and my listings are as accurate as possible.

One buyer purchased a helicopter kit. In the description it clearly stated what it came with, and whar else was required.

Buyer contacted me and I advised the other parts are available. Did not hear anything back until i noticed the negative feedback claiming i totally ripped him off.

Should I be entitled to have this removed? Should a buyer be able to leave negative feedback becuase they didn't read the description properly?

Because of this single negative feedback, ive gone from 100% to 93%!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I read your description, and unfortunately I have to agree with much of the above - I wouldn't know what I was getting in the kit, and what else I needed to buy, only that the kit is unassembled (and presumably doesn't arrive with fuel, since that couldn't be posted). 

I think your lists would be better off separated as "Included", and "Not included, but needed for operation", or similar.

EDIT: Just realised my post was a tad redundant. Should check for and read new posts before adding mine. Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

As others have said, your ads aren't anywhere near clear enough for the novice buyer.

It is all very well writing Required.

You need to put in brackets after it (Not supplied with this kit. You will need to purchase these separately).

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

hmmmm, perhaps i had better add something to all my dvd listings - "Movies don't spontanously play" you will need a dvd player to put them in.

hang on - also player needs to be hooked to a television for player to work.

both also need to be turned on at the wall

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

At the risk of sounding unpleasant, it's probably best to write item descriptions on the assumption that those reading them actually need to be told to breathe in and breathe out. To not step off the kerb into the path of a speeding semi-trailer. To not whiz on the electric fence. Which way is "up".

Assume that "The Average Ebay Buyer" has the IQ of a plate of cold meat, and write your description accordingly. Spell EVERYTHING out. 

In reality, the majority are fine, and will ask questions if they feel they need more info - but, as you've just found out, it only takes one idiot to ruin your feedback. So, don't give them the chance. Assume they're all dumb until proven otherwise, and bullet-proof yourself. Then, if some turnip negs you on "item not as described", you've at least got something to take to eBay.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@hhelicopters wrote:
Lol, so if buyers wont read the listing anyway, i could say it includes a BMW car and they wouldnt know! 🙂

I definitely have learned from this but considering the buyer asked for specific parts AFTER the purchase, the feedback is out of spite or something.

Sounds like they might know how things are with those models so include that in any correspondence,(if the

questions came via the eBay messages they can have a look).

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

I doubt you will get the comment removed as eBay will probably say something like, "If the buyer feels this way then they have a right to say that and people will see you have heaps of positive comments compared to this negative one."

The same exact thing has happened to me and that was eBay's response.  Some buyers either don't read the details fully or simply don't understand the details, or make the effort to do research to understand it.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

hmmmm, perhaps i had better add something to all my dvd listings - "Movies don't spontanously play" you will need a dvd player to put them in.

hang on - also player needs to be hooked to a television for player to work.

both also need to be turned on at the wall

-------------------

There were recently some sales that were under discussion here on the board. Someone listed a PS4 box, and some buyers assumed the box had the player in it. but it was just an empty box and the ad didn't really, 100%, spell that out. The seller in that case was a scammer but the ad should have given people pause for thought. But it didn't.

Okay, maybe you think buyers are stupid and probably some are.

But when there is any room for confusion, it is better for a seller to spell it out, be explicit, even more than they think they need to be.

What happens is if someone buys a thing and it isn't exactly as they thought it would be, they can sometimes feel cheated.

Now maybe they weren't, but that is how they feel!

If you were to sell DVDs and showed them next to a player, you would probably need to say 'Player not included'. Even if your ad individually listed each and every DVD.

The way i see it is this-if a seller can make life easier for themselves by tweaking a listing to make it absolutely crystal clear, then why not do it to avoid any hassles?

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply