New Seller Needing Feedback on My Items

Hi

I am trying to open a side business by selling stuffs on eBay.

I am selling engagement rings made with cubic zirconia (middle grade ~ with high enough shine and durability) and 925 silver coated with rhodium (to ensure its shine is long lasting and avoiding alergic reactions (some people I researched are allergic to nickel which is in silver).

I priced my products quite low but not rock bottom low, as I cannot compete with bigger sellers who can get items at much lower prices.

I tried to have good pictures & some videos.

In IG (instagram), I have many likes.

I have people bookmarking or watching my items, but no one is pressing buy.

At this stage, I am hessitant in relisting the item before knowing how to ensure sales.

I wonder if anyone can help me to give any inputs about why these items are not selling.

Any advice is much appreciated.

My items can be found here 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-75-Carat-Diamond-Tennis-Bracelet-4mm-0-25-carat-VVS1-D-Clear-Round-Dia...

Padi
Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

@countessalmirena wrote:

(I don't favour the term synthetic diamond very strongly, as it gives a misleading impression. A diamond produced in a laboratory with the techniques available today is not only as beautiful and strong as a natural diamond, but even more so. Laboratory-grown diamond or cultured diamond are two terms that in my view are far more apt. For marketing purposes, I think cultured diamond couldn't be bettered.)

It has always struck me as very odd that the correct industry term for man-made gemstones using the same minerals as in the natural stone, was synthetic - I get it's referring to synthesising the natural process , so it's appropriate on that level, but I agree that as a marketing term, it doesn't really convey what is being sold all too well, considering the most common understanding of the word comes from its use in the fabric industry (no one would expect "synthetic wool" to be made of the same material as genuine wool, rather that it's probably an acrylic made to look like wool). The jewellery industry is usually a lot better at devising terms that improve impressions, if not understanding (hypoallergenic is a classic example). Smiley Very Happy

And you're right - the way some people shop on here, creating a listing (including the title) that, wherever possible, leaves absolutely no room for misunderstanding of anything, is to the seller's benefit, if nothing else. I'd take 100 problem-free transactions over having twice that with several complaints (they can take a lot of time and energy to deal with). 

Message 41 of 44
Latest reply

I agree with the others who say to take all mention of diamonds out of your listings. The only place I might mention them is in the description and say they're a cheaper alternative to real diamonds, but people know that anyway so you'd only be stating the obvious. They've been around long enough for people to know what they are so there's no need to compare them to diamonds at all.

There's obviously a good market for jewellery made with cubic zirconias so why try and attract people to your listings by mentioning diamonds? They're two different markets - those who want diamonds won't want to even look at CZ, and those who can't afford diamonds and just want some nice bling probably won't even bother looking at diamonds and will only search for CZ. You're wanting to sell to people who are happy to buy CZ but if they search for it on ebay they won't see your items if it's not in the title.  By mentioning diamonds it looks like you're trying to convince people who want diamonds to settle for CZ instead, but that just isn't going to happen so don't bother even trying to target diamond buyers by using the word diamond.

It's almost like sellers are ashamed of their jewellery being CZ when they advertise it as diamonds, but if you're ashamed of it your buyers will pick up on this and be turned off. There's obviously a huge market out there for CZ or there wouldn't be so much avaialbe, so it'll sell in its own right without needing to pretend it's diamonds. People know it's not diamonds and are happy with that fact.

Just state the facts and leave the other hype out of it. If you use higher grades of CZ you can put that in the title, eg. Tennis bracelet using AAA grade Cubic Zirconia and rhodium coated whatever.

People will feel a lot more confident to buy from you if you stick to the facts, if you're transparent and don't leave them wondering about anything, and if there's absolutely no conflicting or confusing information in the listing. To put the word diamond anywhere only clouds the issue.

Message 42 of 44
Latest reply

@luxory_jewellery wrote:
Hi.. just a quick update.
I cannot change my id, it needs to stay for another 30 days. If u guys have any suggestions on ID... and if u want to give inputs.. please do so. I very much welcomed suggestions.
I changed the descriptions, removed diamonds and put in cz.
I bought a few items that my household needs atm so I get feedbacks.
It is a rushed work, but I think those are the main points I get from. I will check back in after work today.
Again thank you and good night.

If you haven't got many listings I'd keep this ID for selling but just don't add any more listings until you can change your username again, and until you can get your listings right.  With the amount of jewellery on ebay your listings won't be seen much anyway, and it'd be a pity to waste the feedback you already have.  Most of your current views will be forum members.  You're better off leaving your listings up at the moment so people can see them and give you advice on them.

My biggest concern with your username at the moment is that the listings themselves don't seem ethical to me when you're using the word diamond so freely.  As far as a buyer looking at your username is concerned, they don't know that you won't be listing more items with diamonds in them later on - so as long as your current listings are factual with no room for doubt as to what they're getting, your username won't be misleading.  A lot who see your listings won't even notice your username.

You've got 30 days to think about your username so take your time.  If you're planning on mainly selling CZ I'd go for something that gives an impression of class, but not try and sound like the same sort of class as diamonds.  Just tossing out ideas here but something along the lines of classyCZ might even work (I'm not sure you can use capitals though).  The simpler it is, the more people are likely to remember it.

Message 43 of 44
Latest reply

Thx guys for the input.

So far, my to do list:

- id> reflect cz instead of diamond.

- get description & title as cz right.

I've been taking product pictures so far. And got a thumbs up for my listing not violating ebay policies.

I'll resume ebay in the weekend.

Thx heaps. 🙂

I cannot remember everyone's name, but rabbit, cotessa, digital ghost, copenhagen, imatawska, thank you!!!

Padi
Message 44 of 44
Latest reply