New Seller Needing Feedback on My Items

Hi

I am trying to open a side business by selling stuffs on eBay.

I am selling engagement rings made with cubic zirconia (middle grade ~ with high enough shine and durability) and 925 silver coated with rhodium (to ensure its shine is long lasting and avoiding alergic reactions (some people I researched are allergic to nickel which is in silver).

I priced my products quite low but not rock bottom low, as I cannot compete with bigger sellers who can get items at much lower prices.

I tried to have good pictures & some videos.

In IG (instagram), I have many likes.

I have people bookmarking or watching my items, but no one is pressing buy.

At this stage, I am hessitant in relisting the item before knowing how to ensure sales.

I wonder if anyone can help me to give any inputs about why these items are not selling.

Any advice is much appreciated.

My items can be found here 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-75-Carat-Diamond-Tennis-Bracelet-4mm-0-25-carat-VVS1-D-Clear-Round-Dia...

Padi
Message 1 of 44
Latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If you're talking this ID, then you have no completed listings for the jewellery, and they've been listed for less than 2 weeks.

How quickly do you think they're going to sell?

Ebay is very slow atm, and you're competing in a market flooded by the Chinese.

Message 2 of 44
Latest reply

Thank you for your very prompt reply. It is ver much appreciated 🙂

So to summarize your points, as a solution, if I persist to sell these sort of items, I will try to do the following points:

1. Change my ID to something that reflects the item.

2. Try to get 1-2 similar items sold and get feedback on them.

3. Have competitive pricing.

Let me know if I"m not getting your points correctly ... 🙂

Thanks again 🙂

Padi
Message 3 of 44
Latest reply

I actually meant none of those points.

When I mentoned your ID, it was because some members come to the boards on another ID.   It's not always the ID that they are referring to.

There are 'posting' ID's that some use.

I was merely pointing out that your items have not been listed for very long, and you need to acquire some patience.

Someone else may have some ideas on what you can do to sell competitively.

Message 4 of 44
Latest reply

Your Titles are good, pictures are good and so is description.

As mentioned your eBay ID name is irrelevant unless you expect a lot of repeat customers then something easier to remember for the buyer may be appropriate.

eBay is just slow now and jewellery is one of the categories flooded with items.

I suggest perhaps buying a few smaller items to get your feedback score up a little, many might be hesitant to buy from someone with only 6 transactions showing feedback.

Also perhaps sell a few small items not needed around the house so you get at least seller feedback of 10, then the DSR stars begin to show and that can make a buyer feel more comfortable in buying from you.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 5 of 44
Latest reply

sorry I don't know anything about jewellery selling either

but you might want to fix this small error:

Keep it in the box it in the box whilst not being used.

Message 6 of 44
Latest reply

I sell fashion jewellery, and have been for a few years now, so I hope I may be able to provide some info / advice that helps.

The first thing I need to say is that you really shouldn't be using diamond as a keyword for CZs, unless it's referring to the cut. A couple of your titles say 'Diamond Simulant', which is better, but the rings and tennis bracelet just have diamond in the title. Aside from anything else, people know that they can't get a diamond bracelet for $65, so someone who is actually looking for diamond jewellery - and your listing will show up in a search for it - isn't going to look twice at your listing. In other words, if you are using diamond for more attention, it's probably having the opposite effect. (There's also an eBay policy with regards to keyword spamming - using keywords not related to the item you're selling).

CZs are graded by A's - if yours are mid-range, they'd be AAA grade (A grade is the lowest, AAAAA grade is the highest) - having your items described correctly both in titles and descriptions is going to give buyers more confidence in your items, because you A) look like you know your stuff, and B) don't look like you're trying to mislead (I'm not accusing you of trying to do that, I'm just saying that by trying to cast a bigger or more attractive net, you can inadvertently give out the wrong impression as to your intentions).

When I first started selling jewellery, there was one main thing I observed and concluded about selling it online, based on the fact that it's one of the most saturated categories out there, not just on eBay, but pretty much all online marketplaces - - to be moderately successful you either need to have unique items, or have a large range.

If you go for unique, you can stay smaller because you'll have things people can't find anywhere else, so you'll have less competition and can catch niche buyers; if you have stuff that's available from multiple sellers at multiple outlets (and not necessarily exactly the same designs, but can be objectively described the same way), then having a big range is the best way to carve out your own corner. It's possible to take a little from column A and a little from column B to create a niche with non-unique items, of course - eg having a theme shop, personalising the items in some way (be it the piece itself, or unique, personalised packaging for gift-giving), or bundling them with items that may tempt someone more towards your item than someone else's ('free' polishing cloths is a common item used for that). 

Message 7 of 44
Latest reply

Just on the question of building up feedback, the books tell you to build up some as a buyer before launching into selling, by ebay purchases of supplies and ancillary stuff you need for selling, purchases of other stuff you need, and small purchases of stuff you don't necessarily need, but do want. 

Message 8 of 44
Latest reply

The listing you included the link for is extremely confusing to me.  The title says it's 8.75 carat diamond and the description says it's diamonds.  The only place you mention cubic zirconia is in the item specifics, but even there you've got indications that it could be diamonds.  If it's CZ it should be mentioned in the description!

If it's not diamonds you can't list it as diamonds, end of story.  It's false representation and if you do sell any you could end up with a heap of negative feedback and your selling career will be over before it's started.  Anyone who knows their jewellery will be wary of the contradictions in your listing and be even less likely to buy, so describe it exactly as it is and don't try and get more people to look at the listing by using words that don't relate to it.

A lot of people (and I'm one of them) won't have a clue what VVS1 D in the title means and I'm not really sure it's going to help the item sell to the sort of people who are likely to buy your sort of items.  If I wanted to buy something relatively cheapish, I wouldn't expect to have to go and research what those things mean, so perhaps you could give a bit more detail.

Message 9 of 44
Latest reply

I read the listing for the bracelet and also found the reference to diamond confusing....and frankly misleading.  Of course diamonds aren't that cheap but it does nead clarification.

I don't sell jewellery (or anything on eBay actually) so maybe I'm being optimistic, but I can't see anything wrong with mentioning up front that they are cubic zirconias.  Everyone knows that cut well they can look as bright as diamonds and I've heard of some wealthy people keeping the expensive stuff in bank vaults and wearing cheaper copies.

Message 10 of 44
Latest reply