New Seller

Hello everyone, I am new to ebay (Well, I did have an account many few years ago and my daughter and I had months of fun buying and selling stuff!) But I closed that account a long time ago and I've just opened this one because I have heaps of things to sell, but realised that things have changed as far as ratings go? I did some research and it seems that people won't buy from someone with no rating. One article I read said that you needed at least a rating of 50 before people trust you. But how can you get that rating if nobody will buy from you? Do I have to buy a lot of things first? (Which really defeats the purpose, since I want to get rid of stuff!) If anyone can give me some advice, I would really appreciate it. I have a lot more things I'd like to put on, but it would be a waste of time if they don't sell. Thanks very much!

Marina

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Seller

Lots of people with 0 feedback.

Make sure your description is accurate and you do not over charge on postage and buyers will be leaving feedback if they are happy.

We all start with 0.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Yes... we all started with 0-Feedback.

As above make sure your descriptions are excellent and not misleading in any way. Even accidentally!

Try to think about what your description says with a buyer hat on. If I received this item and compared it to the listing would it be exactly as described/pictured?

Look at other good experienced seller's listings and take some hints from those.

Use lots of good quality pics to show your items. If there are any defects make sure you describe them and show them in the pictures. Don't try to hide defects. It will just come back to bite you.

Be quick to respond to any questions. If you are getting the same questions maybe the info should go in your description.

Be prepared to help in a friendly non-confrontational way. Even if you think the buyer is 100% stupid. Keep that to yourself.

That's just a few of my thoughts that come to mind from when we started out. We now operate two stores.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

when I started selling way back in the late 1990s, the best piece of advice I got from a fellow ebayer was

describe your items as if there were no photos

photograph your items as if there was no written description.

very good advice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Lots of people with 0 feedback.

Make sure your description is accurate and you do not over charge on postage and buyers will be leaving feedback if they are happy.

We all start with 0.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Yes... we all started with 0-Feedback.

As above make sure your descriptions are excellent and not misleading in any way. Even accidentally!

Try to think about what your description says with a buyer hat on. If I received this item and compared it to the listing would it be exactly as described/pictured?

Look at other good experienced seller's listings and take some hints from those.

Use lots of good quality pics to show your items. If there are any defects make sure you describe them and show them in the pictures. Don't try to hide defects. It will just come back to bite you.

Be quick to respond to any questions. If you are getting the same questions maybe the info should go in your description.

Be prepared to help in a friendly non-confrontational way. Even if you think the buyer is 100% stupid. Keep that to yourself.

That's just a few of my thoughts that come to mind from when we started out. We now operate two stores.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated! I guess the more description, the better and I should just be patient, actually in between the time I wrote this and then came back to check, I sold my first item and had a bid on another! Thanks again.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@bellesbits wrote:

Thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated! I guess the more description, the better and I should just be patient, actually in between the time I wrote this and then came back to check, I sold my first item and had a bid on another! Thanks again.

Congratulations!

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

when I started selling way back in the late 1990s, the best piece of advice I got from a fellow ebayer was

describe your items as if there were no photos

photograph your items as if there was no written description.

very good advice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

thpght you needed 10 feedback before you could sell?

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@endless_delights wrote:

thpght you needed 10 feedback before you could sell?

nope, can register and start selling today.

4. Set up a seller account

When you become a seller, you need to create a seller account. It's easy -  you just need to:
  • Confirm that the name and address we have on file for you is correct.

• Confirm your phone number.

• Specify an automatic payment method for paying your seller fees.

We also recommend you:

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply