New eBay Corporation based in Brisbane

2nd attempt at post.

Seems to be a new eBay corporation right here in Oz !

ebay brisbane is the site ( no dot au)

I wonder if they are exempt from gst just like the swiss eBay 

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: New eBay Corporation based in Brisbane

Do you mean the ebay commerce network? Nothing new about that and it is an advertising service. Perhaps it is just Gumtree, a search for ebay Brisbane will take you to the local Gumtree ads.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

this Brisbane business has eBay as part of their business name, is this ok?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@bjmonty28 wrote:

this Brisbane business has eBay as part of their business name, is this ok?

No.

I'm surprised they were able to register that domain name... I found the site and whoever is running it is taking a couple of serious risks by using eBay's name - they would be well-advised to stop before eBay's first (legal) contact (just mentioning that I highly doubt this site is affiliated with eBay in any way - it's a Shopify site, which I doubt eBay would use (they don't need to), and they're not using any of eBay's actual branding designs etc 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

THanks for the support DG

I knew something was not right here.

I guess its only a matter of time before the real sLim shady stands up here and takes aCtion

*notice the caps on the 2nd letter lol (indicating that a real eBay business attempt would surely include this grammar)

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

There are many business names registered with the word Ebay in them. I checked them out on the ASIC site. Ebay Lighting, Ebay Maintenance. Ebay Brisbane is a registered business name. Out of curiosity I entered 'Ebay Victoria' and it came back with being an acceptable name & was available to register.

Ebay Brisbane being an online selling site is going to confuse a lot of people. I'm surprised business name registration authority has allowed it.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

There are 81 businesses on the ASIC site with ebay in the name....both Business Names and Companies.   By far the majority are cancelled, deregistered, unregistered or removed.  Those that are still registered are for the most part companies with an ACN....these are most likely to be affiliated with ebay in some way.

The Brisbane registered business name is just an online selling site and I will stake money that it will soon disappear.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

i am absolutely amazed the sites are in operation.

Lyndal, you say the ones with an ACN are most likely affiliated with eBay in some way but I still dont think that eBay allows any sort of affiliation with any businesses or companies, have you ever seen the brand name "eBay" as not only part of a business name or even put on signage of any business? As far as I am aware it is simply not permissable to use it.

I liken it to having the word/s BigW or Coco-Cola etc etc etc (including colour, brand name style and font etc), its all copyrighted?

Look forward to your added thoughts ๐Ÿ™‚

BJ

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

The companies that are registered with ebay in their name are probably owned by ebay.

If you look at the ASIC site there is at least one company listed as a foreign owned company so is probably eBay.   There is definitely more than one registration on the ASIC site that belongs to eBay....some of us did a lot of digging several year ago when there was a fuss about using ebay in a name.  Quite a few of the registrations suddenly disappeared, so ebay had obviously done a bit of damage control.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply