New postage costs system

pnc75
Community Member

Hi all,

Under the new system do they still cube parcels over 1kg if you're using your own packaging? I didn't think they did, but am getting mixed messages from their website. TIA.

Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: New postage costs system

Agreed, which is why I rang AP this morning as I have two large boxes over 10kg to send.  Table 2 states $32.30, cubing came out at $55+.

And the confirmation from AP was that Table 2 only applies to Aust Post packaging.  Using your own, cubing applies.  

The 'fine print', bottom right of the page really only adds to the confusion.

I'm glad I didn't quote the Table 2 rates to my buyer, as I would have been out of pocket considerably.  In this instance, courier at $41.95 is the way to go.

Message 11 of 65
Latest reply

I just had a little giggle. Have a look at the wording in the link : content/dam/auspost. Rather appropriate!!!
Message 12 of 65
Latest reply

Sure is, 5kazam.

Anyway, I went to the local PO and asked about this, and yes, if you're using your own packaging they cube it once it's over 1 kg. So much for those of us who like to do our bit and recycle. 😞

There was a big difference - $11 - for the package I need to send.

However, this was only 1 PO and I do know from past experience their practices do differ at times! 😄

Thank you to everyone for your input. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has different experiences. 

Message 13 of 65
Latest reply

No they do not cube over 1 kg.  

If you read Table 1 (RHS table) in the link I posted, there are standard rates up to 5kg throughout Australia.  Since the new rates have come in I've sent parcels to Queensland, South Australia, Country Victoria, etc.,  and they haven't been cubed.  They have been charged exactly as that table shows.

As the parcels I've been sending recently are under 3 or 5kg, I'm liking the system.  Posting to other states now is considerably cheaper than it was.  I only have to make sure I keep under those weights, which is saving a heck of a lot of time working out post costs.   Weigh the parcel - and there's the cost no matter where it goes in Australia.

Australia Post will cube once the parcel is over 5kg when you are using your own packaging.

And if your LPO wants to cube if over 1kg, then they need to apprise themselves of the new postal charging system.  Print out the Tables on the link and show them where they are wrong.

Message 14 of 65
Latest reply

Parcels using your own packaging are still the same as before as in over 1kg will be cubed. Difference now price rises when cubed when you go over 1kg , so 1-3kg then 3-5kg then over 5kg also is distance based.

Message 15 of 65
Latest reply

On that link to the Tables I posted above, there are two lines under Table 1. The second line states ** Own packaging up to 5kg is a national flat rate." - my addition here : see the rates in the table.

So I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from.

I can send for eg a 1-3kg parcel to Perth, Darwin or wherever and it will cost $15.35.
Message 16 of 65
Latest reply

Well that's what I thought too, but that's not what my local PO is charging! (Unfortunately). 

Depending on where you read, you get different information. I suspect they don't know themselves. I'll have to find another PO close that operates on the link you posted! 😄

Message 17 of 65
Latest reply

Yes parcels using your own packaging use the national flate rate options of 500g 1kg 3kg and 5kg. But parcels that weight 1kg or less are not cubed but parcles over are charged by whichever is greater the weight or cubed weight. 

My postage rate guide is the Mypost Business one and I doubt it would be different than the normal one but anything is possible.  

Message 18 of 65
Latest reply

Make sure you take a copy of the parcel charges with you - though it really shouldn't be necessary.

My LPO has been happily working with the new system since it was implemented, and are liking that they don't have to measure parcels and type in dimensions when the weight is under 5kg.

Something else I was told by my LPO.  The plastic satchels are now only graded in small, medium, large and extra large.  And you can put up to 5kg in any of them now.  So you only have to buy the one that fits what you are sending.  Much better than the old system where you were limited on weight.

Message 19 of 65
Latest reply

".....but parcles over are charged by whichever is greater the weight or cubed weight."

That only applies when the parcels are over 5kg.

Up to 5kg is a NATIONAL FLAT RATE.

Seems to me that if LPO's don't understand how the new system works, a lot of people are going to get ripped off!

Message 20 of 65
Latest reply