New postage costs system

pnc75
Community Member

Hi all,

Under the new system do they still cube parcels over 1kg if you're using your own packaging? I didn't think they did, but am getting mixed messages from their website. TIA.

Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: New postage costs system

I never pay over the counter but instead use the MyPost website and pay before dropping off to be scanned. When you add the dimensions of your parcel it will cube it when over 1kg. My price guide states item weight or cubic weight whichever is greater for items under 5kg. 

Message 21 of 65
Latest reply

Okay, but I believe you will be paying more than you need to.

And possibly the website needs to be updated. 

I could never get an accurate post cost for items to be sent within Victoria before the current changes.  The system did not seem to be geared for intra state postal costs.  At one time I ended up owing my buyer $8.00 because the AP website said $X and it was only $x when I took it to the PO.

Message 22 of 65
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

So I sent an online enquiry to AP. This is their reply:

'Can you please tell me if you are using your own packaging. If so, let me know the sizes and I will have a look at pricing for you. You can also do this yourself as use the same postage calculator tool as we do here https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/calculate-postage-delivery-times/#/option/domestic/2000/3000'

When you go to that it asks you to cube the package. This is a nightmare. It one place (5kazam's link) it says one thing, and in other places it says different rules apply.

Does anyone know a PO in the Carina / Camp Hill / Mt Gravett / carindale area that DOESN"T cube parcels over 1kg? The onformation would be most appreciated and they would get my business! 😄

Message 23 of 65
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

And this is their reply when I supplied 5kazam's link and asked for clarification:

I would like to clarify that cubic weight does applies when you use your own packaging and there is a fixed rate for prepaid satchels.

Message 24 of 65
Latest reply

I've just sent two more parcels today under 3kg - cost $15.35 each.  One to Queensland, the other to Country Victoria.

The web site does NOT work with the new post costs if under 5kg - it cubes everything. 

You need to check weight only if under 5kg using own packaging

ALL parcels under 5kg using own packaging are sent at a NATIONAL FLAT RATE.  Once you and your LPO get a hold of that fact, you won't be stressing out any more.

I still suggest you take a copy of the official Australia Post tables with you to prove to your LPO that they've got it wrong if they want to cube over 1kg.

Message 25 of 65
Latest reply

Hi, yes they do.  It's only the satchels & actual Australia Post boxes that the new rates apply to.    Also if you are using Ebay labels check the actual postage costs before using them because Ebay are now charging $14 for a $12.20 parcel.

Message 26 of 65
Latest reply

Yes they do, the new rates only apply to the satchels & Australia post boxes.   Also, if you use the Ebay labels check the actual postage costs before using them.  I've sent a couple of parcels lately that actually cost was $12.20 & Ebay wanted to charge $14.00.

Message 27 of 65
Latest reply

Ebay still uses the old system. It is handy while it lasts if you need to send large items within the same state. Example I can still send 20kg to Sydney for $9.85 via ebay, post office will charge $20.

Message 28 of 65
Latest reply

eBay postage prices increased overnight to catchup with the recent increases by Australia Post.  The $1.00 discount on 500g satchels has now been reduced to a lousy 30c.  Another way to punish Australian sellers trying to compete with the Chinese sellers.

Old - 500g retail: $8.55 / eBay price: $7.55

New - 500g retail: $8.95 / eBay price: $8.65

Message 29 of 65
Latest reply

Australia Post are very sly. While sellers are busy trying to work out new rates, in their confused state, AP are known to reduce the size (width usually) of the satchels. Anyone else worked up a sweat stretching satchels in the PO? lol

Regarding cubing, Malaga PO is the best Post Office im Perth. Just a heads up for Perth sellers. They will always do the right thing by you, staff are nice and professional, well managed. I tried that many different PO's until I eventually found them. They didn't cube anything under 5 kg before, and told me that no PO's should have been, so many people ripped off. I have a theory but I could be wrong so I won't share that. But Malaga for Perth sellers. Might not be good news if you're in Mandurah lol

Message 30 of 65
Latest reply