New postage costs system

pnc75
Community Member

Hi all,

Under the new system do they still cube parcels over 1kg if you're using your own packaging? I didn't think they did, but am getting mixed messages from their website. TIA.

Message 1 of 65
Latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: New postage costs system

@Anonymous wrote:

If you do enough through ebay you will be better off downloading your ebay orders to AusPost

and going for the 10% discount. Can't remember the thresholds though.

It's not a flat 10% discount anymore, the volume discount is now also based on destination. For tier 2 (5 parcels per week minimum) it is now 25% off for same major city, 12% for other major city and a lousy 2% for rural.

Message 41 of 65
Latest reply

So this means a small parcel (under 500g) is the same to post as a small satchel? If that's the case, I'll go back to parcels because I often struggle to get boxes small enough to fit into the small satchel.

It also appears that flat rate satchels are no longer flat rate. That kind of sucks. I'm still a bit confused with the pricing though. Does it mean I can put a 3kg item in a small satchel and still pay $8.95? Does it also mean that if I put a 50g item in a medium satchel it's going to cost me $12.20?

Sorry, I know this topic has been done to death, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that is still confused. I just spent an hour trying to print off an eBay label, because I couldn't work out which option to use. 

Message 42 of 65
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I'm still a bit confused with the pricing though. Does it mean I can put a 3kg item in a small satchel and still pay $8.95? Does it also mean that if I put a 50g item in a medium satchel it's going to cost me $12.20?

Yes to both questions. However if you put the 50g item in your own packaging it will be cheaper to pay 'own packaging < 500g" prices. Even if that 'own packaging' is the same size as the medium flat rate satchel.

So if I had those two items to send, a 3kg small item and a 50g fairly large item, I'd be using one small flat rate satchel for the heavy thing and one 'own packaging' label for the light but bigger thing.

Message 43 of 65
Latest reply

By the way.....the AP flat rate satchels seal perfectly well when turned inside out, you just fold the sticky part over. Voila, own packaging.

Message 44 of 65
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

From AP in relation to my enquiry re cubing over 1 kg. 

'

Thanks for your reply. It does seem to be a bit confusing and I'm sorry this has been happening. I hope I can help provide some clarity.

To help make sending within Australia easier, we've introduced a national flat rate packaging and postage range for parcels up to 5kg. It's called If It Packs, It Posts and it makes it easier to know your postage costs upfront.

We`re removing weight-based restrictions and destination considerations on parcels 5KG or under that are sent using Australia Post`s If It Packs it Posts range of flat rate satchels and packaging. Instead weโ€™ve moved to a simple, size-based system that allows senders to work out their postage cost more easily.

These changes provide price certainty as you no longer need to know how much your item weighs, and where in Australia itโ€™s going, to work out the postage price of what youโ€™re sending.

The new flat rate structure means prices are distributed more fairly across the country with many Australians actually paying less especially those living in rural and regional Australia who will no longer be at a disadvantage because of their remote location.

If you want to use your own packaging the item will be weighed and assessed and the priced according to whichever is larger.

Louise H
Customer Care

Australia Post'

And another from Ap:

'I would like to clarify that cubic weight does applies when you use your own packaging and there is a fixed rate for prepaid satchels.

Candy
Customer Care

Australia Post'

Message 45 of 65
Latest reply

@pnc75 wrote:

We`re removing weight-based restrictions and destination considerations on parcels 5KG or under .....

Except that they haven't, destination is still definitely dictating the price. The 'flat rate' price changes when printing a label for a major city vs a rural town.

Message 46 of 65
Latest reply

@oz-e-seller wrote:

@pnc75 wrote:

We`re removing weight-based restrictions and destination considerations on parcels 5KG or under .....

Except that they haven't, destination is still definitely dictating the price. The 'flat rate' price changes when printing a label for a major city vs a rural town.

Thats only via my business post when you are eligeble for bulk tier discounts.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 47 of 65
Latest reply

No it's changing it based on destination when I select flat rate satchel and print the label through ebay. The ones to my own city were much cheaper today.

Message 48 of 65
Latest reply

Ebay have adopted the mypost discount. So over the counter you get charged full rate, use ebay and you get a discount depending on where it goes.

Message 49 of 65
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The great AusPost labyrinth.

Message 50 of 65
Latest reply