No fee credits when buyer asks to cancel now? Is this new?

Hi guys,

I had a buyer ask to cancel an item today. He misunderstood the description and was pleasant and quick to respond etc.
 So I went ahead and refunded his PayPal, followed the eBay links to cancel, selected "buyer wants to cancel", and he got back within the hour and agreed to cancel

EBay messages me with:

"Hi xxxxxx,

You cancelled an order from xxxxxxxx, and we already notified them. You already refunded the buyer for this order, so you're all set. Thanks for cancelling this order for the buyer.

Unfortunately, we can't provide final value fee credits in situations where a seller cancels an order.' (bold by me)

Surely this is new?

I am certain last time a buyer asked to cancel the fee refund was an automatic part of the process.

New Years present from EBay? 

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Surely this is new?

I am certain last time a buyer asked to cancel the fee refund was an automatic part of the process.

New Years present from EBay? 

Wow !  How much greedier can they become - that is outrageous !

I also thought it was a given - an automatic part of the process.

Incomprehensible greed - that's all I can say

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

So it's new?

You know, I though something might be up because the language subtly changes during the process.

I followed the exact links to "buyer wants to cancel" and then once I sent it off, I noticed the wording had changed in the next message they auto-send.

It switcharoos to "You requested a refund". A small change sure, but it suggests a the seller rather than the buyer initiated the process.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Not sure whats happened, but I would not panic.

You are eligible for final value fee credit even if it is your fault as a seller - check your invoice to see if the credit has been applied.

eBay cut and paste from site map

You can request a final value fee credit when:

Example: As you're packing an item to send it to the buyer, it breaks.

What to do:
  1. Contact the buyer and explain the situation.

2. Cancel the transaction in My eBay.

3. If the buyer already paid for the item, refund the buyer.

• If the buyer paid for the item using PayPal, the buyer's PayPal account is refunded automatically.

• If the buyer paid for the item using another payment method, you have 10 days to refund the buyer's original payment method.

Timing
You can cancel a transaction up to 30 days after the estimated delivery date.
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Hi,

I had a read thanks.

It would seem to suggest I would get a credit but the message they sent says the opposite. I am wondering if there have been changes and the site info and instructions are not up to date?

Anyway I'll give them a ring and see what they say.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Well let's say it's a new one to me.  And on reflection, I think the cancellations I have been requested to make have been from Buyers before they paid, so that may be the difference.  Regardless, it's still unethical for eBay to keep the Fees in my book - unless of course when the item sells again they don't charge you - hahaha, but I can't see that being the case !

Personally, I would be getting onto eBay and pointing out you acted at the Buyers request, and in the interest of good customer relations, buying experience blah blah blah, you agreed to refund and cancel, so why should you be penalized - that is just ludicrous and so unfair.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Hi,

I just checked back to my last cancelation. The circustamces where almost identical (buyer requested after paying) and I followed the same links (as far as I remember) to "buyer wants to cancel or there is a problem with their address" . It went perfectly and I automatically got the final value fee credited back.

Here is the message they sent (with a very differnt ending)

"Hi xxxxxxxx,

You cancelled an order from xxxxxxxxx, and we already notified them. You already refunded the buyer for this order, so you're all set. Thanks for cancelling this order for the buyer.

"You'll get a final value fee credit in your account that you can apply toward listing more items to sell on eBay"

Cannot see any difference!

The sale date was Dec for the one above so after the Nov changes.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

I had one on 30 Dec and I definitely had the fees credited.

Check your account.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Nope, no credited fees in the account.

I dont read all the terms and conditions changes (well sometimes I skim) so it makes me wonder if there was something that started Jan 1st?

Anyway will tell you guys the outcome of my phone call.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

No policy change that I can see anywhere.  The seller centre has functioning links to the final value fee cancellation credit info. 

IMO worth having a look though the info at the link below - always helps to quote eBay policy to CS reps if they are unclear and try to make it up as they go along.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

Message you received from from eBay sounds weird (well weirder than usual) - "so you're all set"  Cat Indifferent 

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply