No feedback from buyer is a worry

It is a constant concern when no feedback is received from the buyer, especially when an item has been "safe dropped".  I insert a pleasant note requesting feedback as it is important to know that the parcel arrived safely and the customer is happy.

I had seriously considered blocking these buyers, as who knows if they won't come back in at some future date and claim they didn't receive the item. I decided not to do so, as it would be counterproductive.

So now, I have a buyer who had a parcel safe dropped August 1st, who has purchased again.  I have no way of knowing if this person will return later and claim two parcels not delivered.

This buyer, is a newbie, 29 purchases in 12 months, they have only left 3 feedbacks, two positive, one negative.

What should I do? I hesitate to contact them and confirm their happiness with the first parcel, but I see no other choice.

I could pay for signature on delivery on this current parcel, but seems the buyers are able to request this to be over-ridden and this may also enrage the buyer if they are very inconvenienced by having to go to the Post Office to pick up their parcel.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hmm. I see  the dilemma.

I think a quick message before sending this item would be a good idea. Something like,

"Hi, [buyer],

Thank you for your second purchase!

Before I post this, can I just check with you about the previous order that was safe-dropped to you? Can you confirm that it arrived safely? I want to make sure that all is well to ensure that I use the most appropriate and safest postage method for your order.

Please let me know so that I can send this second order on its way to you asap.

Best regards,

[buyer]"

Maybe make the subject line "Your order - confirmation requested" so that the buyer knows it's not just an automatic blah-blah-blah order-is-on-the-way type of message that can safely be ignored.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

It is a constant concern when no feedback is received from the buyer, especially when an item has been "safe dropped".  I insert a pleasant note requesting feedback as it is important to know that the parcel arrived safely and the customer is happy.

I had seriously considered blocking these buyers, as who knows if they won't come back in at some future date and claim they didn't receive the item. I decided not to do so, as it would be counterproductive.

So now, I have a buyer who had a parcel safe dropped August 1st, who has purchased again.  I have no way of knowing if this person will return later and claim two parcels not delivered.

This buyer, is a newbie, 29 purchases in 12 months, they have only left 3 feedbacks, two positive, one negative.

What should I do? I hesitate to contact them and confirm their happiness with the first parcel, but I see no other choice.

I could pay for signature on delivery on this current parcel, but seems the buyers are able to request this to be over-ridden and this may also enrage the buyer if they are very inconvenienced by having to go to the Post Office to pick up their parcel.

I might not buy so soon again from a seller if the first purchase didn't turn up, so I reckon they got the item.

I've never had any issues with parcels safe dropped as the AP contractor knows where to leave my purchases even if the seller puts the wrong message on the parcel (that has happened).  Perhaps your buyer also has a similar relationship with AP.  They just don't do feedback all the time.  Considering how often I've read that some sellers regard feedback at meaningless, I'm surprised that there are apparently sellers who still care.  Nice to see.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hmm. I see  the dilemma.

I think a quick message before sending this item would be a good idea. Something like,

"Hi, [buyer],

Thank you for your second purchase!

Before I post this, can I just check with you about the previous order that was safe-dropped to you? Can you confirm that it arrived safely? I want to make sure that all is well to ensure that I use the most appropriate and safest postage method for your order.

Please let me know so that I can send this second order on its way to you asap.

Best regards,

[buyer]"

Maybe make the subject line "Your order - confirmation requested" so that the buyer knows it's not just an automatic blah-blah-blah order-is-on-the-way type of message that can safely be ignored.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for the great advice, I will do that.  I know that feedback has been discussed many times before and there are many who do not place any importance on it, but I am a worrier, and everytime I do not hear from the buyer, I wonder if there is bad news coming down the track.  I actually wince when I get messages, wondering if "this is it!"  Since I have inserted a message in my parcel saying that it is very important to me to know that the item has arrived safely and the buyer is happy, I am glad to say that the majority of buyers leave feedback and all is positive. I do worry that one  person said that if anyone asked for feedback, they get  their back up and wont leave any. I just hope that there are not too many buyers who would be deliberately spiteful.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Your items look like they would be mailed in satchels or parcels. Probably the most important thing is to upload the tracking number of your parcels to the ebay site as soon as the item is mailed. This will provide very good prtection from a buyer opening a case for item not recieved.

Buyers and sellers on ebay are a cross section of society. Most people are very good, a few more difficult and occasionally you come across a real bad apple. This means if you are selling on ebay there are going to be a few problems from time to time, regardless of how careful you are, so it is important not to take problems too personally..( it makes it very difficult to sell here if you take it all to heart )  

As for feedback, you are probably already doing all you can to request feedback now. If you start messaging people requesting feedback, its only a matter of time before you upset a customer and they leave less than favourable feedback as a result. I rarely look at my feedback, only checking occasionally to see that I havnt recieved any red or grey dots. Usually by the time I spot them a week or two has passed and they have not made any difference to my sales anyway,  so I suspect so long as feedback is generally good, the occasional Neutral or Neg doesnt matter.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

My gut feeling would be everything is okay or else they would not have purchased again, surely.

You would expect that if there had been a concern with the first parcel, delivered 1 Aug, you would have heard from them by now.

Most probably they were happy with what they got, which is why they have returned.

If the buyer has 29 purchases in the last 12 months but has only left 3 feedback, then it is just a person who doesn't bother much with feedback. Some don't. I'd never block a buyer just because of no feedback from them.

I think what chameleon said about uploading the tracking number to ebay is the way to go. I wouldn't insist on signature in this case (unless it is a big sale) because if they are requesting safe drop, it means they aren't there. I think it will all turn out fine for you. Good luck!

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Worry is today's mouse eating tomorrow's cheese.

There's no point in stewing over things that may never happen. I often have buyers come back for a second item/order a few days after their first, and I assume this means they've received their first order and are happy with it and trust me to buy more.

Some of us send most of our items as large letters and we'd be nervous wrecks if we worried about buyers confirming they received everything we send out, so there's no point in worrying about it. You'll hear about it soon enough if there's a problem and you've got tracking to prove it was delivered.

I don't hassle my buyers for confirmation they've received their items as most buyers just want to buy and then receive it, nothing more. If you were selling from your own website you probably wouldn't hear back from 99% of your buyers, and if you did you'd get tired of all the messages. Ebay has taught people not to communicate so you'll just have to learn to accept it. While your buyer is buying more, don't put them off by hassling them to confirm they've received every parcel or they may decide to buy elsewhere. Sometimes that extra message they're expected to send is the straw that broke the camel's back.

You seem to be assuming that either every buyer is a scammer or that every parcel that's safe-dropped isn't actually left in a safe place. AP safe drop millions of parcels and I'm sure only a small percentage are left in an unsafe place. There are millions of transactions on ebay and even though some items do attract scammers, the overall percentage is still very low. If you want to block buyers just because they don't message you or leave feedback you'll soon find yourself with very few sales - or ulcers.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I don't send even half of my items tracked, but in the last year most of the INR messages I have received are from buyers who had their parcel safe-dropped. And I'm not actually telling you that to make you worry more, because in every single case, the package was either found (misdelivered), or Australia Post accepted responsibility and compensated me, and I was then able to replace the orders for the buyers at no loss (except the last one - was worth $58 in total (with postage) but AP are only providing the max. of $50 since there was no insurance).  

Also, in every single case, the buyer contacted Australia Post first, which means the tracking gets a status update of "customer enquiry lodged". I don't keep an eye on these things, but if you do and the tracking never gets that status, I think you can be relatively assured there hasn't been a problem. 

Even if there is, knowing what to do and how you'll respond tends to eliminate the vast majority of worry (I find, anyway). Decide what you'll do, and what you're prepared to do if someone claims a package (tracked or not) didn't arrive, and compose a message that you can use to reply to buyers outlining what will happen and how you'll help. 

For instance to start with I ask buyers to confirm the delivery address, advise I'll open an investigation, relay any information I am provided by AP, assure them I'll do my best to get things resolved as quickly as possible, and so on. I don't make any promises until I can confirm a few things, either from the buyer or from Aus Post, but once I have the confirmation that I want / need, I have a few things I'll do depending on the circumstances. 

If you have a plan of action, you don't have to worry about what will happen if something happens, because you'll have already planned how to handle it. It doesn't have to be rigid an inflexible (it's better if you can decide on a few different courses to take under different circumstances). The more confident you are in your plan, the easier it is to respond with authority if / when a buyer contacts you about something like a missing package, and it will reduce their anxiety when there has been a genuine problem. 

Are you prepared to accept liability if an item says delivered but the buyer says not received? If Aus Post confirm delivery at the buyer's property (they take photos when a parcel is safe-dropped) what would you do / say? Decide that now, and then tuck it away unless  / until you need it. 

If safedropping remains a huge concern, though, maybe consider adding SOD to your packages. 

I also am of the opinion that when sellers tell buyers that feedback is very important to them, they are basically like Achilles painting a target on his heel; conversely, every single time a buyer has threatened me with a neg and I have immediately undermined that threat by advising them they're welcome to, because I really don't care about FB and I'd rather just focus on the actual problem, the anger disappears and we get to communicate like normal, respectful human beings. The fewer buyers who are led to believe FB can be used against a seller, the better. 

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Thanks for the great advice, I will do that.  I know that feedback has been discussed many times before and there are many who do not place any importance on it, but I am a worrier, and everytime I do not hear from the buyer, I wonder if there is bad news coming down the track.  I actually wince when I get messages, wondering if "this is it!"  Since I have inserted a message in my parcel saying that it is very important to me to know that the item has arrived safely and the buyer is happy, I am glad to say that the majority of buyers leave feedback and all is positive. I do worry that one  person said that if anyone asked for feedback, they get  their back up and wont leave any. I just hope that there are not too many buyers who would be deliberately spiteful.

While you might think this comment shows that your buyers are important to you, what it actually says is that you're far more important than them.  The words "it's very important to me" indicate that it's all about you, not the buyer.

The way you've worded it, you're basically demanding that they leave you feedback, or begging them, and neither goes down well with buyers.  Buyers don't want to be put under pressure to leave feedback, they like to do it voluntarily or not at all.

It's also saying that you aren't confident that the buyer will be happy, which leaves doubts about how accurately you list your items.  At best, you're practically asking for people to walk all over you if they're not perfectly happy with the items, which leaves you vulnerable to return requests for change of mind.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Two quotes sum up my approach.

"No news is good news" and "I sell things to make money not feedback".

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

I might not buy so soon again from a seller if the first purchase didn't turn up, so I reckon they got the item.

I've never had any issues with parcels safe dropped as the AP contractor knows where to leave my purchases even if the seller puts the wrong message on the parcel (that has happened).  Perhaps your buyer also has a similar relationship with AP.  They just don't do feedback all the time.  Considering how often I've read that some sellers regard feedback at meaningless, I'm surprised that there are apparently sellers who still care.  Nice to see.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply