Non-Payers Should be deleted from the system and their emails addresses banned from ebay

Non-Payers Should be deleted from the system and their emails addresses banned from ebay

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Not going to happen unless they rack up 100's of NPB strikes, even then if a buyer is savvy enough they can get back on to eBay despite being banned.

All you can do is use the system eBay has in place, go through the NPB process and have your BBL's in place at the highest level.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@stuartbal_0 wrote:

I get where you are coming from as non payers are a pain.

Your chances of seeing them banned by ebay though are close to zero.

The thing is, as soon as a sale is recorded, a seller is charged fees.

That is before the buyer has even paid.

Now, if the buyer doesn't pay, the seller is not automatically refunded those fees, he or she will have to open an unpaid item claim and apply for the refund. In any system like this, where people have to apply for something, you'll always get a certain percentage who don't, for one reason or another. 

Maybe they forget, maybe if they are unfamiliar with ebay they put it in the too hard basket or they may not even know they can apply. Some of them probably just can't be bothered if it is a small amount.

But the bottom line is always, ebay has to be making a comfortable little profit from all those sellers who never apply.

The other consideration is a buyer may not pay you, so they are a non payer to you, but they may occasionally pay other sellers.

And also, at what stage would you want a ban to kick in? To me, it seems a bit draconian to kick people off after one bad transaction. Everyone deserves a second chance unless they have proven to be totally dishonest or something.

Ebay does occasionally ban people but as far as I know, it would take more than one non payment to do it.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Forget a ban they should be slapped with an automatic negative feedback as well as the strike! We have had 4 non payers in the past week over 2 accounts. One has a feedback score of 21,000 and buys and sells daily. So what was his excuse? He forgot to pay? really? If you don't have the funds to pay straight away you should not be wasting people's time!

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

What you suggested, where a non payer got automatic neg feedback. 

I can't see ebay doing that because it would be very easy to implement right now, but ebay hasn't.

It could be because when a buyer received a strike, the auto feedback would have to say something like "Non payment claim upheld against this buyer'.

And I can see buyers getting really angry about that and calling it an invasion of privacy. This would be especially true if buyers felt there was more to the dispute than met the eye. 

It would have the potential to turn some buyers off using ebay. You may say good, don't want them if they don't pay but from ebay's point of view, they don't want anything that might frighten off buyers as it is a tough market out there.

What could be done though, that would be more discreet, would be if a seller opened a non payment dispute that resulted in a strike against that buyer, then that buyer should have 1 deducted from their feedback score.

Non payers are a pain and as you say, no excuse for some of them, but at least it's better than those buyers who pay then claim they didn't get something or it was not as described etc-from their last 20 sellers.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

They virtually are, after their second non-payment strike. Go into Site Preferences - Buyer Requirements and set it to the most strict setting eBay allows, which is 2 unpaid items within 12 months and that will weed out most of the bad buyers, as most likely the same buyer would have already received two strikes, or you're their second strike coming up.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Springy what you say makes sense but isn't it exactly the same thing...A buyer who doesn't pay for an item after 4 days then 4 days again after a dispute is totally unacceptable. I buy a lot of art and once the hammer falls you have to pay up! I have the same thoughts you do though ebay are scared to do too much to a buyer because they are scared they are are going to lose them forever. My point though is if you bid or buy it now you should be held accountable.

I don't throw my bid card up at auctions and then just walk out at the end of the auctions I attend and not pay. I would be blacklisted from auction houses if I did and the same should apply here. There is always someone else to come along and do the right thing to replace the non payers.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

If I ran ebay, I'd probably make it so that all buy it now items had to be paid for on the spot, before a 'sale' was actually recorded.

As you say, you can't go to other places or most other sites (with the notable exceptions of gumtree or FB marketplace where people often say they will buy something but don't turn up) and get away with not paying. You pay upfront and the item is sold.

And there is no such thing on most sites as cancelling, although some will let you make small changes within the hour.

I think the difficulty comes in with auction items on ebay. To me, they should be the only items where buyers are given a few days to pay.

I don't know that I would ban people after one non payment but I do think where there starts to be a history, multiple cases of non payment, then at least a temporary ban is called for.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am happy to give a person a second chance as there could be a good reason for them not paying. Getting sick and ending up in hospital could be one reason.

What I really hate is the serial non-payers. I had one that kept bidding on the one item and every time no payment. I  blocked them after the 2nd time, then they tried it with another id. I blocked that one and they just opened up another account and did it again.

I couldn't win, they just wouldn't stop bidding and not paying. real sicko. I ended up taking the item off. so annoying.

I don't know how you stop them when all they have to do is open up another account. I know they are not supposed to do that to get around blocks, but ebay lets them, so what can we do?

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Aside from BIN with instant payment required, not much, especially with slow-selling items that really need the 8 free relists, which is only available for auctions due to eBay's stupid decision to scrap BIN listings for the much more inferior GTC.

Even then, banning a user via email etc. is virtually impossible as it can be bypassed by using a different ISP/VPN/phone/email, using home/work/family/friends' addresses etc.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply