Non Paying Bidders Should Be Removed!

Buyers who buy then do not pay and refuse to have any communication with seller right thru the npb process should be banned automatically from Ebay once the seller fee has been credited!

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Non Paying Bidders Should Be Removed!

I understand what you are saying here, however, there is a material loss in some sense as the item is effectively frozen for 8 days, that is 8 days that a potential sale out of a limited number of listing s are possible.

One other thing that had never occurred to me until recently when I had an unpaid item is that there is also the potential that it affects the eBay ceiling amount for your monthly sales? The unpaid item I am talking about was a $600 item, roughly 40% of my average monthly 'limit' that eBay 'allows' me to have. Does that figure reset itself in the event of an UPI, or does that still count towards the 'limit'? In this scenario, you certaily are suffering material loss, and in fact are at risk of rival sellers cripling your monthly sales? This is aside from the fact that the item in question was an ideal Christmas gift, and once the 8 day period was over, potentially scared other from buying due to worry that it may not arrive in time for Christmas.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

As Dave suggested, Just tick the box, "Immediate payment required", then they need to complete checkout before purchase is made.

Then you can't have any more non payers.

image host
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

I am considering doing that, but I would rather not have to do so in all honesty. Giving buyers 24-36 hours to pay is fine by me, especially over the weekend when nothing can be sent anyway. The point I am making is the system is flawed. You could in theory, have all your items locked up for 8 days, which certainly is a material loss.

Buyers are able to take items out of the market for 8 days whilst they try to research to see if they can get the item elswehere or cheaper, that is a flawed system. But, as you say, I guess the only way is to make immediate payment a rule.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

Can I just ask? When you open an unpaid item case - can that come back to bite you ? Ebay doesnt inc it in their defects list that the sale was not completed ? I dont know why - but I seem to remember that I opened a case last time & it appeared  later on my defect list, BUT I'm not sure. Is there a reason why you should just cop the missing fee/ This is what Ive been doing with the ocasional non payer since then!

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

@stylesilver wrote:

Can I just ask? When you open an unpaid item case - can that come back to bite you ? 

It shouldn't, not in terms of eBay defects, and if closed without payment from the buyer, it also prevents feedback from being left by them. When the defect system was introduced there were quite a few teething problems and many sellers reported receiving a defect for things that weren't supposed to incur one, though.

Cancelling a transaction can result in a defect, if the 'out of stock' reason is selected. 

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

You may have opened a cancellation last time and unless you select "buyer changed mind", you will get a defect.

You won't get a defect for unpaid case, as far as I know. And the buyer can't leave feedback once the unpaid case is closed.

If they leave neg or neut feedback before it's closed, call eBay and it will be removed.

So unpaid case is usually the best way to go.

image host
Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

One reason I don't really want to check the 'require immediate payment' is that as in the case of my recent UPI, I had a feeling that all was not well with that buyer right from the beginning. When I sent an invoice, changing the postage fee as they were fairly local, I also stated like I do with all invoices, that the item would be sent with full insurance. This part seems to protect a little bit from the scammers, because they know that Auspost will do a full investigation of missing parcels etc.. immediate payment would create other issues.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Rocket said:

When a bidder bids (or buyer buys) a notice should come up advising them that they will forfeit a deposit fee in the event of non-payment. I'd be happy to share that with Ebay) Seller wins, Ebay wins & the buyer loses (which is the way it should be) If you layby something in a store yoou don't get your deposit returned! It would be interesting to see how few non-payers there would be if this was in place. (I'm guessing very few)

-------------------------------------------

The problem with that idea (from ebay's point of view) would be that potential buyers would need to pay into some account in the first place, otherwise it wouldn't work.

That would stifle the impulse buyer who wants to bid now, pay later.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that such a system would cut down the incidence of non payers.

But ebay don't want to do anything to discourage bidders. They really don't care too much if you aren't paid, it is up to you to reclaim your fees and I'm betting a goodly number of occasional sellers never get around to it.

The ones losing out are the sellers.

I think it is almost inevitable ebay will move more and more towards an instant payment required model for most sales.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I think it is almost inevitable ebay will move more and more towards an instant payment required model for most sales.

I agree, eBay will probably introduce it for all Buy it Nows.

Afterall if you go into a shop that doesn't do layby, you can't buy it unless you have the funds.

Then if there is an item a buyer absolutely wants, they can message the seller and PayPal a deposit so the seller ends the listing and holds it until buyer pays upon the agreement reached between buyer n seller.

image host
Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

@ilovelollies15 wrote:

Buyers who buy then do not pay and refuse to have any communication with seller right thru the npb process should be banned automatically from Ebay once the seller fee has been credited!

and so should sellers who list items and dont have them in stock.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply