Non payers are becoming more frequent

I am only a small minion in the eBay World. But I am sure others must be experiencing this same frustration of Non-Payers. Of the last ten items that I sold, three have been non-payers. Now I know that there will always be circumstances beyond control when this will happen, but lately it is happening more and more. What is even more frustating is the time that it takes to be able to lodge the non-payment, then close the case. eBay is always looking out for the buyer, but what about the seller.

John D

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

All of my items are set to But It Now with Immediate Payment.

Stops all the non-payers 100% of the time.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

IMHO it's not worth losing any sleep over.
Just use the UID case provided, as you have done.
You get your fees back, the buyer gets a strike and you move on.

BTW... Make sure you have your auto blocks set up to block buyers who have two or more strikes inside a 12-month period. This is the most stringent and cuts down the number you have to deal with.
Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@cushioncovers wrote:

We thought about doing just that. And it would totally stop the non payers as you say.

But... quite a significant portion of our sales are multiple item orders. That means that each and every one would be a separate transaction therefore attracting an additional PayPal transaction of 30-cents for each of the additional transactions. The other thing about separate transactions is that if you use tracking you have to send each order out separately with its own tracking number in order to be covered for seller protection. If you combine them you only have tracking (and therefore seller protection) on one of the orders. For us its not a problem as we send mostly by large letter so do not have seller protection anyway.

Having said that tho, of those multiple item orders quite a few buyers pay them individually anyway.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

i'm the same as cushioncovers - use immediate payment required with paypal for all of my listings - problem never occurs.

i had the same problem with non-paying buyers and eventually, i had a gutful of having to wait for the timeframe to pass before relisting items. have never looked back :]

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

@bluedusty21 wrote:

I am only a small minion in the eBay World. But I am sure others must be experiencing this same frustration of Non-Payers. Of the last ten items that I sold, three have been non-payers. Now I know that there will always be circumstances beyond control when this will happen, but lately it is happening more and more. What is even more frustating is the time that it takes to be able to lodge the non-payment, then close the case. eBay is always looking out for the buyer, but what about the seller.

John D

Ebay have been running an invitation only promotion lately. Close an unpaid item case and recieve 10 free listings. My guess is this is ebays way of trying to encourage sellers to use the systems that are in place and clamp down on non payers. Maybe it is a response to a genuine escalating problem.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I'm also a small player on eBay but with 10+ years selling experience. 

My particular grievance is with one repeat non payer who has on 6 occasionas outbid my regular buyers on multiple items, purchased items with abandon only to not pay, then disappear and re-materialise with a fresh eBay ID to play the same annoying game - I know it's the same guy because the postal delivery address is always the same.  No amount of blocking bidder ID's or setting buyer preferences can save me from this.

I want to know why eBay can't link their non paying members with new membership applications based on simple data matching like postal addresses.

After several years of dealing with this particular serial pest I'm losing faith in eBay proceedure.  It's one thing to remove the power of sellers to leave rightful negative feedback for buyers who do not meet their obligations but completely another thing to allow these serial non payers to simply re appear with new ID's and continue being disruptive and disappointing my other valued customers.

eBay is very good at being buyer friendly and I appreciate this but it's also becoming too ridgid for sellers who are powerless to stop serial pests.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Have you tried going through "help and contact" at the top of the page?  

If you report the "buyer" that way the report will go to "Trust and Safety" and they will often be able to look into the use of new ID's to circumvent blocks.

If you can supply them with some of the other ID's they've used it will help T & S shut them down.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Have you tried blocking low fedback buyers who have not been phone verified.....or are they too cluey for that.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

eBay have been informed numerous times.  I think I went to eBay directly after the third incident and I've just informed them about this one ......  and alas I'm offered the same block bidder / feedback limit instructions.

This guy purchases legitimately once or twice to get his feedback score up and running then he plays his game with me and goodness knows how many others.

eBay has come a long way since I began selling and I don't believe for a second thay can't develop a system that matches barred postal addresses with new ID postal addresses - It can't be that difficult.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply