Non paying Blocked bidder used new ID to buy same item

On another account of mine, I had a buyer not pay after 28 days and my giving her many chances and extensions.
Eventually opened unpaid item dispute....after 5 days still no payment, I closed dispute, got FVF credit, and she got non-paying bidder strike.
I then put her on my blocked bidder list.
2 days later a new buyer (new ID) buys the same item and the "send to" address is the exact same name and address of the previous buyer (identical). Ie, it's the same person, just using a different ID as their first ID was blocked when they tried to buy it again.
Now 3 days later still no payment.

This is a clear violation of Ebay's Unwanted and Malcious buyer Policy which states buyers who are blocked cannot attempt to buy from a seller.
I have contacted Live Chat 2 times to get this sorted and I expected to have the sale cancelled by Ebay and strikes against the buyer. Instead I have inept Live chat staff who tell me "maybe it's not the same buyer", and then the other Live help person told me to just "open another unpaid item dispute" becuae they won't be able to make payment that way (say, what? Buyers have 5 days to pay after an unpaid item dispute has been opened). I am so sick of Ebay Live Chat employees who are inept and don't even know their own policies and procedures.

I am pretty sure Ebay have the power to cancel the sale for me without my having to go through any of the usual processes.
Any advice on how to get this to happen. I guess I will just have to keep emailing them until someone is competent enough to fix it for me?
I don't want to go through with the sale even if the buyer does pay, as this 2nd sale never should have been allowed to happen in the first place (she circumvented the rules) and I am concerned with issues if she DOES pay and "complete the sale" (ie bad feedback, saying not received etc - the item is normally sent as a letter ).

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Non paying Blocked bidder used new ID to buy same item

@elves*n*sparkles wrote:

I am pretty sure Ebay have the power to cancel the sale for me without my having to go through any of the usual processes.

I'm not too sure about that, unless the buyer is deregistered (then I think you're able to open / close a UPI pretty much instantly). 

That being said, it is a clear breach of policy and I would insist on speaking to a supervisor etc until I got to speak with someone that A) knows what they're and/or you're talking about and B) perhaps more importantly, cares.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
I suggest you ring Customer Support and speak to somebody in person, or have them ring you back.

I'd also be very concerned that this buyer is purchasing with the express intent of leaving bad feedback.
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I only sell buy it now with immediate payment by paypal. No problems anymore.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

We thought about requiring immediate payment, and indeed it would/should reduce the non-payers.

The downside is that whenever anyone wants multiple items they are then forced to pay each one in single transactions.

This costs an extra 30-cents PayPal transaction fee for each additional payment transaction.

Not good for us as we get quite a lot of multiple item transactions.

Having said that tho, there are still lots of buyers who still pay for the multiple items in multiplle transactions anyway just becuase they don't know how to use the Shopping Cart.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

Also under the new eBay Seller policy if you cancel the sale it will be regarded as a defect by eBay and hits your TRS status.  So this buyers potentially gets away with a clear violation, while you the seller gets hit automatically for just trying to risk manage your business.  The system is Wrong.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Yes gec2002. And if this is going to happen we will simply be raising UPI disputes even if the buyer requests a cancellation. Better they take the hit than we as the seller. They may have to learn to be more careful with urchases.

What happens in the case where the buyer receives their item and then says its not suitable and wish to return it for a refund. We have been happy to do that very occasionally. But we usually then refund via PayPal and then raise a cancellation to recover the FVF.

So now if you do that you will be hit with a defect it seems. So you have to lose your FVF in order to not get the defect.

Its a good thing we have an ebay exit strategy in place now.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

"So now if you do that you will be hit with a defect it seems. So you have to lose your FVF in order to not get the defect."

Yes its little more than an underhanded way to grab more money.   If you sell a bit and on a 3 month rotation I would be checking to see if any "defects" are about to fall off at the next assessment, if so take the defect hit and get your money back.   Not so easy for small sellers.   Overall eBay will make a nice earner on this.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I don't think every reason for cancelling a transaction becomes a defect, at least, I've cancelled several transactions recently because the buyer changed their mind afterwards and selected 'buyer purchased item in error' as the reason for the request, and thus far they are not being indicated as defects on the preview. In saying that, I have 1 low DSR showing for post time, but if I click 'Download report', it says I have no defects at all. o_O

If eBay would get rid of the 'Buy Now' button and only have 'Add to cart', the entire purchase and checkout process would not only be more intuitive for many - especially for multiple items - but would make immediate payment required much more viable (you can add several immediae payment required items to a cart and not be forced to pay individually, so I presume a seller who's using it can now also set up postage discounts that will apply automatically, it's just a matter of getting people used to using the cart function and the Buy Now button is a pretty major road block).

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

"So now if you do that you will be hit with a defect it seems. So you have to lose your FVF in order to not get the defect."

That only applies if the seller chooses the seller options/reason for cancellations, not buyers reasons ( I bought the item by mistake etc).

From the new seller performance standards August 2014 via seller dashboard.

Cancelled transactions

This refers to any transactions that you have cancelled - either in eBay or through Paypal - because you don't have the item anymore
or you chose not to post the item after it was sold.

Which has to be a good thing for buyers, who bid and win an item, then seller makes some excuse not to send it because it sold at a too low price or their stock levels aren't accurate and there is none left, which disappoints the buyers.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply