Non paying buyer - cancel transaction or open an unpaid item case?

Hi all

I apologise if this has been answered before a thousand times, and I did do a quick search. I haven't sold on eBay for a while and have only once before had a problem with a non paying buyer, many years ago and under different circumstances.

Somebody has used Buy It Now to end three of my auctions, but has not paid and has ignored all my emails - both ones sent via eBay and direct. I don't know their phone number so I can't call them. This person has left feedback for somebody else since the end of my auctions so I know they are about and using eBay.

I know the best option is to allow four days, open an unpaid item case and then see it through for another four days to put a strike against them. However, there is some urgency with getting rid of the items I am selling, plus I have other people interested in buying the items. So I'm thinking I will be better off simply cancelling the transaction so I can move things along. If I do that, will I be able to also leave a neg for them?

And what do people think in general? Under the circumstances should I wait it out or is it reasonable for me to move on in the way I've suggested?

Thank you

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I don't see how you gain by trying to cancel the transaction - you have to send the request to the buyer and wait 7 days

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

The best option IMO would be to start the unpaid process  - that way you get your final fees back, and the buyer gets a strike - or they may just pay anyway.   And its only 4 days.

You could get their phone number from ebay but I wouldn't bother, if they haven't answered emails they probably won't be too happy with a phone call.

Good luck!:-)

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

PS:  you can't leave a neg for a buyer.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I have to agree, if they do not reply to the cancellation then it will not time out for 7 days and they would still be able to leave you neg feedback, they could flat out refuse it and then you would not get your FVF back.

Much better to go through the UPI process so they get strikes.

If there are underbidders you can always contact them and let them know there is a possibility the buyer isn't going to pay and you may be able to offer them a SCO.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

Fred, as others hve said, the 4 day Non Paying Dispute is the quickest way to go.

as they used the Buy it Now, you dont have underbidders, so get them relisted a.s.a.p. once you close the dispute,

add their ID to your block bidder list and set your preferences to block all bidders with more than 1 non paying strike.

goodluck

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Yep give them the strikes they deserve and as said block them and add NPB to you blocked list

To put these blocks in place hover your mouse over account in your my ebay page and from the drop down click on Site Preferences then go down the list till you see Buyer requirements and to the right of that click on show then click on edit. From there you can put in place the blocks you want, to stop those you want to block from purchasing from you.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Brilliant. Thank you the clear, friendly and informed advice everybody. Going through the unpaid item process is clearly the way to go. 

Thank you again, much appreciated. 

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I had a buyer who was a non payer, then they had the nerve to order a second item. I opened a cancel case but the buyer rejected it AND still did not pay for both items. I tried to open an unpaid case but Ebay would not let me do this.

Opening a cancel case nullifies your right to file a non-pay case.

This sucks.

So my advice is never to try to cancel to avoid a bad buyer, just open an non-pay case and put them on your block list.

darren

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I am a buyer, I purchased an item, but after many requests for an invoice so I could pay for this item, the seller refused to send one.

This seller opened a cancel transaction case instead, I declined as I wanted to pay for the item. 

AFTER the cancel transaction was declined, the Seller relisted my item, Sold it to someone else, and 24 hours after that approximately, they opened an Unpaid Item Dispute on the same transaction. 

I still cannot pay for this item, no invoice and seller and sold it anyway, and ebay have allowed this, ebay know of this, and still it has been allowed.

So......do not say it cannot be done, opening 2 disputes on the 1 item, because it clearly can be done.

screen capture 27 Sept 2013 UPI and cancel transaction.jpg

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

You generally don't need an invoice to make payment for an item - unless you needed freight added ??. 

For most items you can make payment from myebay - without waiting for invoice from seller.

Are there any other details regarding this purchase that may be relevant, if you are seeking advice on the matter??

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply