Non paying buyer - cancel transaction or open an unpaid item case?

Hi all

I apologise if this has been answered before a thousand times, and I did do a quick search. I haven't sold on eBay for a while and have only once before had a problem with a non paying buyer, many years ago and under different circumstances.

Somebody has used Buy It Now to end three of my auctions, but has not paid and has ignored all my emails - both ones sent via eBay and direct. I don't know their phone number so I can't call them. This person has left feedback for somebody else since the end of my auctions so I know they are about and using eBay.

I know the best option is to allow four days, open an unpaid item case and then see it through for another four days to put a strike against them. However, there is some urgency with getting rid of the items I am selling, plus I have other people interested in buying the items. So I'm thinking I will be better off simply cancelling the transaction so I can move things along. If I do that, will I be able to also leave a neg for them?

And what do people think in general? Under the circumstances should I wait it out or is it reasonable for me to move on in the way I've suggested?

Thank you

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Non paying buyer - cancel transaction or open an unpaid item case?

No I am not seeking advice on this matter because nobody can help me, not even ebay.  I have spent countless hours via phone and email on this and I give up, ebay will not do anything about it even though they know it is not allowed for a seller to do this to a buyer. 

I posted this a week or so ago in Buying, but the mod moved the thread to Community Spirit.

And to answer your question, I could not pay for the item as there was no postage on the listing and the seller needed to add that and send me an invoice.

As mentioned previously I could NOT pay for this item, even now.  The seller sent through the UPI, sent no invoice so how the heck am I supposed to pay for it?  Seems the only answer here is to get a strike for an unpaid item, even though the seller is at fault, i.e. won't forward an invoice, and also no longer have the item to sell anyway as they sold it to someone else after relisting it.

I was just pointing out in this post that YES INDEED 2 DISPUTES CAN BE OPENED ON THE 1 TRANSACTION.  My situation is the PROOF!!  Kind of makes a mockery of ebay rules and policies doesn't it? 

Oh, and this item I purchased was on another ebay id of mine and is from the UK.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Hi Magic, still never got that resolved, eh?

did eBay do anything to help you?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Hiya crikey"mate

In answer to your question, NO it never got resolved.  Much head banging on my desk here yesterday and hours talking on the phone to ebay support, I even requested a Supervisor to start with.  I ended my day with a major headache and I am not kidding.

Ebay know full well it is against policy to have this happen, ebay also know that the Seller is at fault here, not my fault if the seller will not send an invoice, not my fault if the seller relisted the item, not my fault if the seller sold my item, NOT MY FAULT....WAAAAAH Smiley Sad

Just nothing and nothing and nothing I can do about this, I just have to take what has been dished out and be punished for trying to do the right thing.

And the seller btw was a supposed TRS, what a joke!

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Oh and the screen shot above was taken a few hours ago, so that shows that nothing was done about it, and was first reported to ebay 5 days ago. Although I don't understand why the UPI has not closed and I have not been given a strike, it says I had to pay for the item by the 26th which was yesterday, and it still remains open in my ebay on this transaction.
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

And this is the response via email this afternoon from ebay customer support regarding this whole transaction:-

The best way to resolve this is to contact the seller and inform them that they can still change the Unpaid Item case to a cancel Transaction request. In this way, you will not receive an Unpaid Item record if you successfully accept the request.

Seriously????? They already know that I declined a cancellation, the seller has opened a UPI after the cancellation, and now they say I can request that another cancellation can be opened????? OMG, does this never end? Smiley Surprised

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

CRIKEY!

They didn't even say that if you were given a strike that you could ask to have it removed?

I was wrong the other day.

I said that my dealings with them equalled yours - but nope - you win.

Have you tried PMing Joanna?

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Yes I can ask to have the strike removed apparently......so good of ebay to allow me that privilege when I am not at fault here Smiley Frustrated 

Pardon my ignorance here, but who is Joanna?

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

she's an eBay employee. They seem to sort a lot of stuff out for me these days. I had a heap of stuff happen since Migration and sent off my fair share of emails and made phone calls etc. 

She has been one of the peeps who seem to be able to get things done. She contacts me through PM in here (not the eBay ones) and that's how I now contact her, but she's not a Mod, beside her name is eBay employee.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply