On selling collectables.

wargul
Community Member

I used to sell a lot but now I buy and collect Aussie tin badges.  I have recieved a lot of badges lately that have faults not described in item descriptions.  For example, they may have lost their pin at some stage and had a dressmaker pin bent into place as a replacement or they may be depressed (slightly crushed).  As many sellers know, collectors aim for as close to original as possible so it is dissapointing when such items arrive; however, I usually want to keep the item regardless because it is a worthwhile addition to my collection.  So, I email the seller and point out the "problem" in the hope s/he will respond to buyers' needs and describe more carefully in the future.  I always stress I am going to keep the item and am not seeking redress.  I am careful to be polite about it.  In every case lately I have gotten an email back along the lines of "send it back for a refund".  I don't want a refund - I want to know I can confidently buy from the seller in the future..... that an effort to describe collectible items accurately will be made.  I think, perhaps, that only sellers who are collectors themselves understand this...... or perhaps I am just looking for a part of Ebay that is lost in the past.

So, to those who sell collectible items.  If it has a defect that can't be seen in your photos please please please note it in the description.   If it is rare and desirable it will sell regardless.  It is a pain for seller and buyer to have to ask/answer questions about condition for every item.

cheers, Bill

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

On selling collectables.

Hello Wargul

now that you are aware of some of the mistakes that the sellers do make in their listings, why not be proactive in future and ask specific questions about their item? You know common pitfalls,, and clearly you know what you are looking for.

For example, I buy collector watches. Now the photos have proven to be unreliable and often the description will be something like,, in excellent condition, but needs a new battery.

I have learned to ask questions such as

Are ther any scratches or marks on the glass/crystal face? (and is the face glass/crystal or plastic?)

Has any of the colour begun to wear off the metal surround? (sometimes light reflection makes this unclear)

Are you certain that if I do replace the battery that the watch will actually work?

Are you certain that the watch that you have listed as automatic needs a battery? (well I have to be polite)

etc etc, I'm sure you get the drift...

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

Of course Crikes but it is remarkably tedious for both seller and buyer.  The whole system works well when everyone is up front and precise about the condition of the item. 

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

@wargul wrote:

Of course Crikes but it is remarkably tedious for both seller and buyer.  The whole system works well when everyone is up front and precise about the condition of the item. 

If it is tedious to pursue some amazing bargains or not so fantastic buyers... then only buy from the sellers that provide the type of information you require in their listings.

Personally I find the best bargains are from the one time listers, that might have a listing consisting of 5 - 10 words tops .... and as politely as I can seek clarificaton on all kind of facts about an item. Well worth the investment of time - saved me from disappointment and scored me some brilliant stuff, woo hoo !!

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

Cats, its a limited market. so I buy from anyone who lists great badges.  I will pay what I think a badge is worth and don't want bargains.  I am more than happy to pay a new seller a good price.  In the category of badges I buy anything significant attracts multiple bids anyway..... so bargains as such are rare.   What I lament is the loss of a collector's approach to selling collectables, which is something that was once typical of ebay.  With mainstream collectibles like stamps and coins there is a defined grading system, which limits the problem somewhat.  With something like badges gradings like "excellent, fair, average" are not defined and are, therefore, subjective (and of no real value).  In this case the quality of the description is important.  I just wish more sellers understood that.  Unfortunately there is no effective way to get that message across.  My post was a small way of getting that message across.... albiet to a small audience of sellers.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

Quote: “why not be proactive in future and ask specific questions about their item? You know common pitfalls,, and clearly you know what you are looking for.”

Quote: “I have learned to ask questions such as” etc etc .

Yes, having sold collectables for several years, I have come across people, who even though I have stated …

Excellent Condition … no chips, no cracks, no crazing … in my description …

They ask similar questions … does the item have any chips ? … or ... does the item work ? etc etc .

I find that downright insulting and ignorant …

When you ask questions like that, you are basically asking me if I am lying in my description !!!!!!!!! .

You are then put on “my special list” and given an abrupt and curt reply .

Do I lose buyers ? 

No, my items always sell well, and I do not want you as a buyer anyway … who wants a buyer with such bad manners.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

Iam, perhpas you are getting the seller effect of what I am describing. So many sellers fail to describe collectable items fully that buyers begin to question everything. Even the classic "the description is the image" doesn't really work for badges. There is no way to tell if a badge is partially crushed by a 2D picture. Perhaps they are not accusing you of lying, rather, they are just responding to prior experience.... once bitten twice shy. In my case at least half of my purchases in the last 2 months have minor faults not described - usually not the original pin or badge is depressed. I have kept every one of those items because the faults are minor. They do devalue the item though and should have been declared. As I said, I always let the seller know about the faults in the hope it will help improve listings. It does seem as if my views on the item are ignored because I am not sending it back.

It is not all sellers and some I deal with a thorough and thoughtful in everything they do. Kudos for making an effort to described items accurately. As I said, I suspect it is a case that some sellers are not collectors and don't understand the collector market.
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

@iamanark wrote:

Excellent Condition … no chips, no cracks, no crazing … in my description …

They ask similar questions … does the item have any chips ? … or ... does the item work ? etc etc .

I find that downright insulting and ignorant …

When you ask questions like that, you are basically asking me if I am lying in my description !!!!!!!!! .

You are then put on “my special list” and given an abrupt and curt reply .

Do I lose buyers ? 

No, my items always sell well, and I do not want you as a buyer anyway … who wants a buyer with such bad manners.

Gosh if someone is seeking to confirm or clarify listing details on something, which may simply be due to other sellers misleading them in the past or it might be that they have not read the description, I would never be so disrespectful as you are to those buyers you treat in this way. 

IMO appalling selling practice that does not build credibility or trust in our trading environment.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

well NARK,

I've actually done that too - so best you work out my buying account and block me, eh?

I have had listings that say no scratches etc, but then the picture clearly shows scratches. In mnost cases, it is because the item has been scanned or taken with a jewellers camera through some magnifying glass (can't remember the term) both which magnify everything way more than the naked eye can see.

sometimes the seller hasn't seen the fault until bought to their attention and sometimes, maybe they just listed in the dark

Not every seller understands what kinds of faults are acceptable to be determined excellent

But here's the thing, when I'm looking at paying up to $50 postage for an item (or $110 on the other thing I collect) and I know that even if I will win a SNAD I will still be out of pocket for return postage of those amounts, I can promise you that I will ask all the questions that I feel necessary to reassure myself that the listing is correct.

And if my questions go unanswered *shrugs* no skin off my nose, I just find another....

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

On selling collectables.

"Not every seller understands what kinds of faults are acceptable to be determined excellent." 

Exactly.  I wish there was some method of developing that knowledge within ebay.  Seller advice pages for various types of items perhaps.  For example, if you are selling clothing these are the things you should describe, if you are selling coins these are the grading parametres, and so on.  Just a thought.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply