Overdue delivery into US - what to do?

Hi all, 

I hope someone has a suggestion that will help.

I now have a delivery into the US with tracking still showing ‘in transit’ after 5 weeks. Since it hit the 4 week mark I’ve made what enquires I can here at our local PO, including calling AP trace personnel, but their information is no better than mine. I am also dealing with an angry buyer who doesn’t communicate well.

Does anyone know how I can advance my enquiries, or who I should be talking with at this end to find out where the parcel is please?

Thanking you 🙂

Melina.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Overdue delivery into US - what to do?

Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do with regards to finding out more information, in fact, the buyer is in a better position to do that than you are, since presumably USPS has the package, and the buyer can contact USPS directly with the tracking number, and any other relevant information. 

I often tell my buyers who contact me with "where is my package" enquiries in similar circumstances, that while I'm happy to initiate enquiries, it would be much faster and easier to direct that question to the people who now have their package, because if I initiate an enquiry, it means contacting DHL (Australia Post in your case), who will then send an inquiry to USPS, then wait for USPS to investigate and respond, then wait for DHL to get back to me, so that I can pass on the information to them, none of which occurs over the phone or quickly, so will take several days in the best case scenario, but if they contact USPS themselves, they'll get whatever information is available on the spot (I also provide them with a copy of the postage label and a basic description of the packaging, in case it's requested). Some buyers reply and still want me to take care of it Smiley Frustrated

With angry buyers who refuse to make any effort other than demanding the seller do everything, all you can do is assure them that you are doing everything you're able to find out more information (advise them that you will update them with any new information you get, but make sure to let them know it doesn't happen overnight because investigations into missing mail needs to happen manually), and that options will be provided if the package can't be found and delivered. 

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks very much Digi 🙂

I was prepared to do it all myself because I have an extremely unhelpful customer. It’s good to know I’ve done all that I can. I have suggested he assist by doing exactly as you’ve suggested, but to no avail. Go figure! I’ll spell it out once and for all.

Many thanks. I needed to be sure and I won’t have to ask the question again 🙂

Melina.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

My (our) experience is that USA buyers/consumers consider themselves a priviledged lot and can be very unrealistically demanding and arrogant .  Moreso than any other country we ship to.

To the extent that I am contemplating making all of our listings not available to USA buyers.  Will have a minor impact on our sales volume but I can live with that to relieve the aggro factor.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I'm not sure, but the delay could have something to do with the government shutdown there. I recall reading something a few weeks ago about some government workers' jobs (including USPS) being suspended during the shutdown.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

One of these days I’ll get myself sorted and post with just the one ID, but anyway it looks like USPS has it pretty much sorted now. Our Parcel turned up, delivered, without tracking update.

They were prioritising Express and Priority Mail. Standard mail was shelved until they caught up with the backlog. What a way to run a mail service. Those who paid got their parcels. Undoubtedly, many people missed out for Xmas.

We’ll know better for next year. An appropriate note on our listings might be the way to handle things a bit better.

I wouldn’t swap the service we have here for any other in the world.

Melina.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply