Overseas postage change

Informed by our local Post Office today they have just received a memo from AusPost telling them that all overseas mail sent at the letter rate must contained only printed matter.  Any item, regardless of measurements, that contains merchandise of any type must be sent as a parcel.

If enforced it is going to make it virtually impossible to sell any "lower" value items on eBay that is to be sent to an overseas buyer.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Overseas postage change

When covid first hit I was told documents only not items. I was hoping it would go back but no such luck.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

If Aust Post change their rules they should issue a formal announcement - I can't find anything recent on either their site or facebook.   It should not be a matter of hearsay.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

You can send whatever for letter rate overseas as long as it fits within the letter size dimensions and weights.

All I do is complete a CN22 customs declaration and stick on back of packet.

I still pay letter rate , only printed matter does not require a customs declaration.

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

If Aust Post change their rules they should issue a formal announcement - I can't find anything recent on either their site or facebook.   It should not be a matter of hearsay.

They did issue a formal announcement months ago....this was just a memo reminding PO staff of the current rules.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

The local post office told me they have been hammered with it since early January. I have had two registered envelopes returned last week because they did not contain "documents" or "letters" though they were within the dimensions and weight size. I had to repack them and send them via the normal air mail and hope they end up where they should. Of course you lost the registered envelopes, the post office wont refund the money. I sell old/used/collectable railway tickets so they are in the "paper" catagory of things anyway. At least half of my listings end up overseas, and a standard letter -  $3.20 as to a parcel, $20.00 and upwards, will finish off what that revolting managed payments has started once you are forced onto it from March 1st. As an aside I recieved a email from a buyer in Germany yesterday stating that he could not pay with Feepal as it was telling him I no longer ship to Germany. First I have heard of it, as he has has been buying for over ten years. It would appear even if you are not on Mangulated payments, the system is already creating exclusions where you can sell/ship to, without your knowledge, or consent.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

If you are sending internationally you don't use regular registered post....you need to use the Registered Post International envelope at $17.70....not much less that a parcel.

Your tickets should go as a letter....I would suggest you were using the wrong Registered  Post envelope.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

@curraone wrote:

They did issue a formal announcement months ago....

Well I can't find it ..... (sulks)

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Oh poor didumsSmiley LOLSmiley LOL  Don't sulk.

Can't help you with where to find it online but my OH saw a big notice in one of the major Sydney CBD post offices many months ago.

The only reason he took any notice was because he is still in contact with elderly rellies in Canada and the USA who prefer snail mail even if it takes weeks to be delivered as against emails taking seconds.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I was using the $17.70 Registered Post International envelopes, and have no trouble for quite a few years. Until now. Even the post office is still trying to work it all out, they are not enjoying it much either.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply