PayPal to provide buyer protection for eligible PickUp and Hand Delivered items

got an email from PayPal this morning about changes to the PayPal User Agreement.  Haven't gone to the PayPal site to get full details but the email indicates that from 15th July there will be buyer protection for eligible PickUp and Hand Delivered items.

paypal.JPG

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I didn't get an email, but I went and had a look at the policy updates... The main ones are as outlined above, (there are others but they're unlikely to affect the majority of users), with one other major one they didn't mention.

This one might raise some eyebrows, though I must admit I was half-expecting PP to do this at some stage... (copy-pasted this one in full)

1. New clauses 17.9 to 17.13 have been added as follows:

“17.9 If you are a seller, we may limit the amount you can withdraw from your PayPal balance to help protect us and our users from the risk of financial or other loss. The amount of your PayPal balance that will be available for withdrawal is called a “release amount”. The remainder will be retained in your PayPal account for up to 21 days.

17.10 We will notify you of the terms of any release amount we apply to your account.

17.11 Your release amount will be determined by information we collect when you create your account, as well as publicly available information and your selling activity. The more you use your account, the more we know about your selling activity. As such, our risk assessment may change and we may increase or decrease your release amount based on that changed assessment. We will notify you if this occurs.

17.12 In the event you do not agree to the terms of a release amount, you may close your account unless otherwise prohibited under this Agreement. However, if your account is closed for any reason, we have the right to hold the amount retained in your PayPal account for up to 180 days.

17.13 You may request an increase to your release amount once every 30 days.”

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

All I can say is bull**bleep**!

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

Very interesting indeed that Paypal feel it necessary to hold you funds and divide you monies into two categories with the release amount. The option to not agree is close your Account! but we can keep funds for 180 days.  Now this all looks like a nice earner for PayPal - I am sure that the holding funds are not sitting in limbo but out on overnight interest etc through the financial markets. We a the silliny users just watch it sit there as PayPal earns from our funds.  Looking forward to see what my release portion will be !!!!

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

Must watch my spelling in future - I type in haste with annoyance !!!

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Seems scabby on the surface, then look underneath and it's still terrible... but: now with the 180 returns policy they want their finger in the pie to minimise their own losses.

I just wish people weren't dishonest so that genuine mistakes could be resolved more easily without 180 day burdens.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

Wonder if the ACCC or the Financial Ombudsman know about this one.

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

I'm a bit staggered Gumtree is included as a sale isn't final on gumtree at all till you meet someone.

In my experience, I've never come across paypal being used on gumtree.

I suppose they are trying to set it up so it can be used.

I have to say, there are times when I have picked up small local items (paying cash) from ebay and gumtree ads and I haven't tested them, just accepted them and gone off. I suppose there was the possibility that something could have been wrong that I only discovered later.

But I've found when I have sold bigger items on gumtree eg chest of drawers, people come and inspect it before paying. I'd hate it for them to pay via paypal, damage it in transit, then claim it had faults not as described.

I hope that gumtree doesn't go down the path of insisting all sellers offer paypal as a possible payment.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/ceagreement-preview

I got this one, trying to understand it, hahaha
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

I sell on gumtree also and have the option of using PayPal.

But no way in hell am I going to accept it Woman Tongue

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply