PayPal to provide buyer protection for eligible PickUp and Hand Delivered items

got an email from PayPal this morning about changes to the PayPal User Agreement.  Haven't gone to the PayPal site to get full details but the email indicates that from 15th July there will be buyer protection for eligible PickUp and Hand Delivered items.

paypal.JPG

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

I would think the buyer protection that will offered for pickup items will be that if you pay using PayPal before going to pickup and find that the item is SNAD when you go to pickup and you refuse to take the item then you will be eligible for a refund.  After all, you have paid but do not have the item.  I would think it is impossible to have 180 day buyer protection or even 30 day protection for pickup items being SNAD.

PayPal are probably going to provide this protection for pickup items because the reality is that many buyers currently pay by PayPal for items they intend to pick up.

However, until we see the exact wording of the new policy this is pure speculation.

Message 21 of 35
Latest reply

I would think the buyer protection that will offered for pickup items will be that if you pay using PayPal before going to pickup and find that the item is SNAD when you go to pickup and you refuse to take the item then you will be eligible for a refund.  After all, you have paid but do not have the item.  I would think it is impossible to have 180 day buyer protection or even 30 day protection for pickup items being SNAD.

PayPal are probably going to provide this protection for pickup items because the reality is that many buyers currently pay by PayPal for items they intend to pick up.

---------------

That protection is already there.

A while back, we sold a bulk lot of CD's, pick up only.

Buyer was a dealer & mucked us around, wouldn't answer queries about suitable pick up times then stated that he wanted them posted, which we knocked back, but we did offer an extension of time-4 weeks- for pick up (he lived next suburb).

He refused, said he was too busy, so we started an unpaid item dispute and explained it was simply to get our fees back.

The next thing we know, he paid via paypal and claimed that meant we had to post them. We said, and ebay supported us, that we did not have to post, the ad was clear it was pick up.

He then rang paypal and they refunded him on the basis that he told them he was unable to pick up the item and they said it was unfair to have his money if he didn't have any item.

They claimed ebay and paypal fees would be refunded but they never were, despite a couple of phone calls.

Nor did he incur any unpaid item strike.

It's actually a good lurk. If you buy a pick up item and change your mind, just pay via paypal and next day ring up and claim you can't pick up.

Message 22 of 35
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

However, until we see the exact wording of the new policy this is pure speculation.

Speculation, mostly, yes 🙂 I was actually speculating almost the opposite of that, though, in that the policy may effectively force buyers to take possession of items they have paid for via PayPal, despite situations where they can see at first glance (in real life) that something is SNAD, because otherwise possession could be indeterminably contested. (i.e. Buyer says they didn't take possession, seller says they did, whereas if the buyer in fact does take possession, the seller has no incentive to contest possession because otherwise they're confirming they've received money for goods that they did not supply). 

Message 23 of 35
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

It's actually a good lurk. If you buy a pick up item and change your mind, just pay via paypal and next day ring up and claim you can't pick up.

I think your case would have been a bit more unique, particularly if you agreed that the buyer never took posession of the goods (PayPal probably would have worked on the basic premise that the seller can't have the money and the goods) - if the buyer had picked them up, and the listing or invoice clearly showed it was a pick-up item, I think the case would have ended quite differently. 

Message 24 of 35
Latest reply

I often wonder if the ACCC and/or FOS know about anything these days... They seem to let PayPal do whatever they want until there is a complaint, just like the scams from India and Nigeria which are brushed under the carpet each and every time. Then again, peple weren't doing business over the internet in the 1950s where Australia is firmly planted (thank duck Abbott is gone, although the current two runners don't seem much better with yet more geriatrics in parliament pushing their archaic ways onto everyone else).

17.12 mentioned above - does PayPal really have "the right" to withhold funds at all in Australia? Who from? (Name, details, look in tomorrow's obituaries... hahaha). I thought only the Big Banks could get away with holding money.
Message 25 of 35
Latest reply

@heihachi_73 wrote:
I often wonder if the ACCC and/or FOS know about anything these days... They seem to let PayPal do whatever they want until there is a complaint, just like the scams from India and Nigeria which are brushed under the carpet each and every time. Then again, peple weren't doing business over the internet in the 1950s where Australia is firmly planted (thank duck Abbott is gone, although the current two runners don't seem much better with yet more geriatrics in parliament pushing their archaic ways onto everyone else).

17.12 mentioned above - does PayPal really have "the right" to withhold funds at all in Australia? Who from? (Name, details, look in tomorrow's obituaries... hahaha). I thought only the Big Banks could get away with holding money.

In short, yes.

I can see the merit in the holding of funds, but firmly believe that funds should be released on time as there policy dictates (well the policy that was introduced some time ago anyway 🙂 i think a lot of people were getting very frustrated (myself included) that paypal were holding moneys for the maximum amout of time (21 days) while sellers where complying with the policy of getting funds released early (3 days after confurmed delivery))

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 26 of 35
Latest reply

I was stunned to realise that my newer account wasn't having the funds held. I thought they would have due to the message saying as much as I list an item. I didn't worry about getting the hold lifted because I was making enough from my other 2 accounts to make up for it. I went into PayPal the other day not long after someone had paid for something and there's the money sitting there fully accessible.

Maybe PayPal has finally got their act together  and stopped holding funds for new accounts that are linked to established accounts? I haven't met any of the criteria yet that the hold would have been lifted automatically, so I can only assume that the FOS forcing them to lift the hold on my second account has carried over to subsequent accounts?

Message 27 of 35
Latest reply

All the more reason to "cash out" ASAP then...
Message 28 of 35
Latest reply

firstly, sorry to all for dragging up an old thread . . . . but I thought it important enough to keep all the discussion on the PayPal policy update in one thread.  Sorry also for the length of this post.

I just looked at the PayPal policy site.  They have amended the Updated date to 15th July 2016.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_Schedule_1

They did proclaim in the in the email I received that they were extending buyer protection to cover eligible hand delivered items and the things you pick up in person.

Now, I couldn't find anywhere in the Policy that specifically details what is meant by eligible items for picked up items, or for that matter, what they mean by "significantly different to how they were described" in reference to picked up items that now have buyer protection.

I did find the following in the Seller Protection Policy appendix (only sections d and shown here)

Limitations

S5.1 The PayPal Seller Protection Policy will not apply to a transaction if:

d.  The item is delivered in person or picked up in person;

j.  The buyer claims the item is significantly not as described;

What I find interesting is that buyers now have protection for picked up items but sellers continue to have none.  So all those who advocate getting buyers to sign a statement that they are happy with the condition of the item will need to wait* until they have a buyer claim against them to test this out with PayPal (*see additional comment about this below).

Additionally, what is it with section j where it specifically states that Seller protection will not apply to a transaction if the buyer claims the item is significantly not as described?  No mention of the buyer having to prove the item is not as described, just that they make a claim!  Further sections probably cover this in terms of PayPal making a decision on a SNAD claim.

Under the Buyer Protection appendix, the following is noted in relation to item not received:

S10.2 Any item you collect in person or arrange to be collected on your behalf is not eligible to be claimed as not received.

So all those who were worried that a buyer might pick up an item and then claim Item Not Received can now rest easy as they can quote PayPal policy in defence of INR claims for picked up items.

I also like the following section:

S11.3 We reserve our right to make a decision if you and the seller cannot agree and we will exercise our sole discretion when determining a claim of “significantly not as described.” We will consider numerous factors which may include the communications between you and the seller and any documentation you have provided. We will provide you with reasons for our decision upon request.

This would reinforce the need for sellers to communications through eBay and not rely on telling PayPal what a buyer told you in a phone call or possibly in an email.  Keep ALL communications with buyers through eBay messaging AND be careful with what you message to the buyer as your messages may be used against you if taken out of context.  By this I mean if you message anything to the buyer about the condition of the item other than maintaining to the buyer that it was exactly as described the buyer might suck you into semantic discussions (before making a claim) about the condition of the item in dispute as a way of using seller messages against the seller. same courtesy in regards to 

* It may also mean that sellers, in fairness, are to be afforded the "any documentation you have provided " provision of S11.3.  This may mean that if a buyer signs a document stating that they are taking possession of the picked up item because they are satisfied that it is as described may assist a seller to defend a SNAD claim.  Time will tell.

Vehicles that are paid for using PayPal will not be covered for SNAD claims under section S12.1-h-iii (Your purchase is not for: Vehicles (including cars, motorcycles, caravans, boats and planes) )

Message 29 of 35
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

What I find interesting is that buyers now have protection for picked up items but sellers continue to have none.  So all those who advocate getting buyers to sign a statement that they are happy with the condition of the item will need to wait* until they have a buyer claim against them to test this out with PayPal (*see additional comment about this below).

Additionally, what is it with section j where it specifically states that Seller protection will not apply to a transaction if the buyer claims the item is significantly not as described?  No mention of the buyer having to prove the item is not as described, just that they make a claim!  Further sections probably cover this in terms of PayPal making a decision on a SNAD claim.

Aloha sir sales - I was wondering if there'd been any updates earlier today then never got around to looking, so cheers for the update.

Just re: the bit quoted above, sellers have never had Seller Protection for SNAD, nor (I suspect) will they ever. It makes sense when you think about it, as in - Seller Protection takes effect when a claim is decided in the buyer's favour but PayPal foot the bill - they provide this protection primarily in the instance of chargebacks. For them to provide protection on SNAD items, it would have to be determined that an item wasn't as described, but not hold the seller liable, which they have no incentive to do so those cases will always come down to a win / lose scenario. 

Message 30 of 35
Latest reply