Paying GST to ATO for imported items which GST already paid

I'm new Amazon seller. I pay GST when I import items to Australia via Alibaba. When I sell that item on Ebay.com.au to Australian buyer, do I have to pay the GST again to ATO? What is the GST calculation method here?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Paying GST to ATO for imported items which GST already paid

Two different IDs slr.....this one is in Australia.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

the reason I ask where you are located is that at the moment replies are only concerned with GST.

If you are in Australia you would have to declare your eBay sales as income for the purpose of paying income tax to the Australian Tax Office.

Income tax liabilities/obligations cannot be ignored seeing as you seem intent on selling close to $75,000 worth of goods (based on your repeat questions using this figure and you selling your items with 100% markup).

Disclaimer: I have no tax, no finance and no accounting credentials. The posts I make are just my opinion, offered for free. The best advice I can give you is to seek the help of an accredited professional tax accountant.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

@prime.gadgets wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

If my sales are lower than 75K and I do not register for the GST, does Ebay deduct 1/11 for the GST from my sales income?

Is there a benefit for me to not to register for GST if sales are lower than 75K?

If you are not registered for GST then you cannot collect GST nor can ebay deduct it from your sales.

GST is payable on imported items into AU but this is paid by the buyer and is added on to their purchase by ebay at checkout time.

The 10% GST is charged to the buyer not to you.

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

I suggest you learn to crawl before you walk. You're a new seller but you're talking about $75,000 turnover????

You obviously have absolutely no idea about GST so forget about it until you sell enough that you HAVE to register for it.

There's no point registering for it just so you can claim back the GST you pay on your purchases. You can claim that as part of the purchase price. If you register for the GST you can offset the GST paid against the GST you collect from your customers, but you'll have to raise your prices by 10% and that could mean a lot less sales.
Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I suggest you learn to crawl before you walk. You're a new seller but you're talking about $75,000 turnover????

You obviously have absolutely no idea about GST so forget about it until you sell enough that you HAVE to register for it.

There's no point registering for it just so you can claim back the GST you pay on your purchases. You can claim that as part of the purchase price. If you register for the GST you can offset the GST paid against the GST you collect from your customers, but you'll have to raise your prices by 10% and that could mean a lot less sales.

Forget GST, I’m left wondering if the OP knows about selling limits on both number of items and $ value of items . . . and whether they can withstand the 21 day hold on funds that they will encounter.  That alone can put incredible stress on someone wanting to go big with their selling on eBay.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply