Payment holds for valuable

jargo-81
Community Member

I have an extremely prized personal possession I have to sell due to current hardship but my funds won't be released until after the buyer receives it, I'm worried about never seeing the item again or having the funds deducted as it's a match worn rugby jersey and is not a brand new item id appreciate any feedback 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Read up on selling. Specifically Managed Payments. You seem to have issues with how eBay works.

If you're worried about selling online maybe don't sell online.

eBay terms are simple. If you can't, or don't want to, comply with them go elsewhere.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Feedback is that the policy you ticked you had read and understood really does apply to everyone

And it is not โ€˜until the buyer receivesโ€™ it, in most cases it is 30 days

It could be longer given the neg feedback

That is assuming you completed sign up to Managed Payments and you were verified to sell

It is the same rule for everyone, you will find many here who are in similar positions, money wise

ebay does not grant special exceptions to any of us

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I'd be more concerned about the fact you have sold, and have currently listed items, that are illegal to be bought and sold in Australia. If you get caught trying to sell those rabbit traps, you will get financial hardship like you've never seen it before.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@jargo-81 wrote:

I have an extremely prized personal possession I have to sell due to current hardship but my funds won't be released until after the buyer receives it, I'm worried about never seeing the item again or having the funds deducted as it's a match worn rugby jersey and is not a brand new item id appreciate any feedback 

You have every right to be worried. With these sorts of items, there is always the chance you might come up against a scammer or someone out to claw back some of their money.

You say you are worried because you might have to post it before you receive the funds. That is correct, if you are an occasional seller. There will be a 30 day hold on funds.

But that is the wrong worry.

Even when a seller's funds are released immediately, a buyer can still open a claim for up to 30 days after the estimated arrival date of the item and sellers are often in the situation where they have to refund. (although if they sell domestically, they can issue a return postage label and then refund once the item arrives back to them).

So the 30 day hold is not a problem as you will get that money as long as you are properly signed up to managed payments.

Your real worry is how to best protect yourself against buyer claims.

1. Check if there are other avenues for selling. Sometimes there are dedicated sites on Facebook. Look for fan sites or memorabilia sites for that Rugby team.

2. If you decide to sell via ebay, be extremely careful. Take lots of photos. If there are any faults or even slight rubbing or marks, take close ups of those.

Give a detailed description.

Spell out that the item is pre-owned, it was worn in matches and is not in perfect condition. Specifically mention every mark, fault, loose stitch.

I presume this is valuable because of who wore it rather than for the actual jersey cost. Can you provide any evidence?

If I were you, I'd be inclined to sell to Australia only, although that maycut down on your potential market.

Should someone buy then open a claim, follow ebay procedures to the letter. That means providing a return label and not refunding till you receive it back. If someone angles for a partial refund, you do not have to agree.

If someone suggests they are disappointed because there is some fault or mark which has been clearly listed & shown in your ad, you can point out that it was clearly shown in that ad but then say you want customers to be happy though so you will allow a change of mind return and will fully refund once they return it.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Not true :

AUSTRALIA owes a lot to the humble rabbit trap says passionate collector Michelle Douglas.

The Broadford local believes these icons of the bush not only played a key role in keeping rabbit numbers in check for over a century, but, more importantly, they helped country families stay alive through countless droughts and depressions by providing crucial meat for food as well as skins to sell.

And few things say rural Australia more than an old rabbit trap hanging in the farm shed.

All serrated steel jawed spring orientated traps were banned in Victoria in the 1980s and the sale of them became illegal other than to private collectors.

Fearing that such an important part of Australian history was being lost, in 2012 Michelle was an inaugural member of The Trap Collectors Association of Australia, appropriately founded at the famous outback Rabbit Trap Hotel at Albert, west of Dubbo. She has been club secretary since 2014.

โ€œWhile it is illegal in nearly all of Australia now to use traps for the purpose they were intended, it is not illegal to collect traps, provided they are never used and are for collectable purposes only,โ€ she said.

From its initial 22 members the club has now grown to more than 80 members across Australia and a further two in England, reflecting both the interest in this part of our history and the growing value of some of the traps.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Very interesting.

Yes, these are probably items that are marching into history.

It wasn't just country families who used them. I remember my father saying that as a yojng boy during the depression, his mother and Aunt used to appreciate any rabbits they could catch. I think the boys often set them back in those days! His family lived in Thornbury, which is an inner city suburb of Melbourne.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply