Payment not recognised dispute

I sold my laptop, communicated with buyer, payment received and posted out with tracking number. Couple of days later buyer opened a payment not recognised dispute, buyer refused to reply to my emails and now ebay have witheld my money. eBay is not sure how long will it takes to close the dispute because they have to wait for the 3rd party bank to investigate. I am new to this dispute, how long does this dispute takes and any advice to expedite it (I really want my money or laptop back)? Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stop communicating with the buyer.

I had a charge back case recently and the buyer swore that they had not opened it - if that's the case I think sometimes the banks pick up a transaction and query it.

Anyway, I made sure the tracking number was in the case/dispute and just left it.

It was supposed to take 5 days, but ended up taking about 3 weeks and was closed in my favour.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

As long as the item was sent with tracking, and eBay have all the relevant info they need that shows the package was delivered (with SOD if the amount - including postage - was $750 or more) You should qualify for protection in this case and the funds eventually released - unfortunately I don't know how long this takes with eBay (I'm assuming you're on managed payments, hence their involvement).

This is what's listed on their info page for such disputes, and what's required to qualify for protection:

When a buyer reports that they don't recognise the transaction:

You provided proof of delivery that included all of the following:

Tracking number provided by the carrier company (uploaded by the date indicated in the payment dispute notification);
A delivery status of "delivered";
Date of delivery;
The recipient's address, showing at least the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the address displayed on the eBay Order details page; and
Proof of signature confirmation, if an order has a total cost (including postage and any applicable taxes) of $750 or more, uploaded as an image while contesting the payment dispute.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes-managed-payments-seller?...

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Going through the same thing in PayPal.

28 Jan: Customer opened an "unauthorised transaction" claim. I immediately put in all the tracking info, screenshots of order emails, etc.
I then emailed her immediately and asked if there is a problem with the artwork I sold her in December.

03 Feb: PayPal updates the case to a chargeback. Customer has not replied to me by email so I looked her up on Facebook today and confirmed she bought it. She forgot about the purchase and said she will ask the bank to reverse it.

So it's been about a week so far.

In my experience, banks never reverse chargebacks. I was even told by a bank on the phone a couple of years back that once opened by their customer they cannot be reversed. However, it has happened before after I complained directly to a bank fraud manager about how rude their customer service rep was on the phone (who had hung up on me!).

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply, I have emailed the buyer 4 times and no reply and this is really frustrating.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Stop communicating with the buyer.

I had a charge back case recently and the buyer swore that they had not opened it - if that's the case I think sometimes the banks pick up a transaction and query it.

Anyway, I made sure the tracking number was in the case/dispute and just left it.

It was supposed to take 5 days, but ended up taking about 3 weeks and was closed in my favour.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I should also add that when I contacted chat support, they told me that as long as I posted it within my time frame to the address that was given, I would be covered by Seller Protection. Often times the board members are rightfully wary of what chat reps say, but in this case it was fine.

If, for any reason, they do not close the case in your favour, then just remind them that you sent in good faith to the address provided and you should not be out of pocket.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you for your email and will heed your advice. You have a nice day

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Unbelievable, the outcome favors the buyer!?!? What should I do now?
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Contact chat support as per what I suggested above.

You sent out the item in good faith to the address supplied. 

If the transaction was fraudulent, why should YOU be out of pocket.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I've also had an update just now.  Funds now confirmed as returning to buyer and I've been slugged the $15 chargeback fee.  I forgot about the $15 fee.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply