Paypal for a pick up item, can I ask buyer for a signature as proof of pick up?

I have made the roockie mistake of taking a paypal payment for a pick up only item...

After reading that the buyer can come and pick up the item then claim he has never received it, I was wondering if I can ask them to sign some sort of receipt for it.

Would that be ok?

And by the way I have not heard from them as to when they want to come round to pick it up even tho I have send send them two emails about it .

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Definitely ok, in fact it is very sensible.

Some members in the past have also asked to see a photo ID such as a drivers licence and taken down the registration number of their vehicle.

All good info to give Paypal should a chargeback be claimed later.

Then Paypal will investigate it as a potential fraudulent claim.

Not all people are on their computers everyday so it may take a few days to respond.

Pick up items should have a suburb and a deadline for pick up in the description, can save time and headaches.

(tippy Smiley TongueSmiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I'd be asking them for a note saying something like:
I certify that I have taken possession of <insert item name here> <item number> from <your name> on <date>. I have inspected the item and accept the condition.

Signed

<their signature and name>

I would also add their licence details, name, address, licence number and also their car rego number.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

There is no buyer protection with PayPal for item not received on pick up items, only not as described.

Chargebacks are possible though, and there is no seller protection on pick ups, so verifying the buyer's identity can help if you ultimately need to report something like that.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

As someone who knows people who have had their identiies stolen I would NEVER allow someone to write down my drivers license number, I would put my finger over the number when showing someone. It is a real issue.

Latest reply

@maranock wrote:

As someone who knows people who have had their identiies stolen I would NEVER allow someone to write down my drivers license number, I would put my finger over the number when showing someone. It is a real issue.

as an obvious extension of the reluctance to let a seller write down a licence number, there is no way that you would allow a seller to photocopy or photograph the licence as this would reveal further personal identifying information such as date of birth and address (information that also facilitates identity theft).

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

A friend of mine also told me I should take a picture of the buyer with said item..

Still think asigned receipt would be easier to ask for!

On another note it's a bit annoying that Ebay urges me to  'SEND NOW' an item that is clearly listed for pick up.

Shouldn't be the buyer who should have a big red ' PICK IT UP NOW' note in his account?!

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I would insist on photo id containing that their address is the same as that displayed in the Paypal transaction. The receipt I would get them to sign would include that address. It is not for Paypal's benefit but for mine if I have to go after them direct for fraud. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply