Paypal holding my funds for 21 days or more?

00-nzl
Community Member

Hi Ebayers,

It has been a while since I've sold something on ebay and after spending last weekend photographing and listing in anticipation of earning some extra dollars for Xmas, I now find that my dollars earnt from the sales are being held by Paypal for 21 days.  After following the instructions to speed up the process (express postage with a tracking id) it hasn't shortened the length of time that i need to wait.

I find this most annoying and this isn't made obvious when listing.  The downside to this is I'm out of pocket for postage AND ebay selling fees before I even get my funds.  

Dear Ebay - I will not be selling on your site again and intend to cancel all other  auctions that are in process, I think this recent move has killed the fun for home consumers selling their knick knacks around the house.  Having to wait 21 days whilst you sit on my money is ridiculous.  Wonder what Paypal does with my funds during that 21 days of holding?  Sure as **bleep** I wont see any interest from it!

I think I'll go to Gumtree, no fees, cash payments and less bs.

Todd

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Hi

Hate to tell you this but Gumtree charges as well.   Look if a better site I would be using it too.

I do not honestly think Ebay plays fair. But beggers cannot be choosers

But as other posters have said this is a paypal  policy and as with every every new business venture one has to put aside for the first few months that is with anything.

I have heard one can get money more quickly but have no idea how to do it.

Message 21 of 45
Latest reply

Well Lyndal after reading the information sent out to eBay and Paypal stock holders at the link below they don't seem very separate to me .  They might be separate companies in name now  but they still have considerable cross ownership and will be doing all they can to look after each others interest. 

www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1633917/000119312515062742/d877527dex991.htm 

Message 22 of 45
Latest reply

Of course they are still working together.....ebay will only be able to operate their maoney back guarantee as long as paypal holds the funds in the seller's account and refunds the buyer when ebay tells them too.

Blind Freddy would know that the only reason for them to separate would be because there is some sort of financial benefit for both of them.   They are hardly likely to tell us what it is though.

Message 23 of 45
Latest reply

You are probably half right Lyndal in that they are not going to tell me anything . On the other hand I assume from your large number of posts you are actually working for eBay so they might  well tell you. 

Message 24 of 45
Latest reply

@rgherron wrote:

You are probably half right Lyndal in that they are not going to tell me anything . On the other hand I assume from your large number of posts you are actually working for eBay so they might  well tell you. 

Lyndal doesn't work for eBay, nor do any of the other members of this forum. This is a community forum where everyone is a member, just like yourself. Buyers and sellers. EBay employees do not come to this forum. All the members here are volunteers who like to help people with their eBay issues. The amount of posts has nothing do with whether someone is an eBay employee or not. All that number means is that someone has been here for a long or short time helping other members out.

The regular forums members are all very experienced buyers and sellers who give up their own time to help people like yourself. No-one has to do it, but they want to do it. No-one here gets paid except the moderators. You can tell who the moderators are because where it says under your name "community member", it will say "moderator" under theirs.

Message 25 of 45
Latest reply

And how is it Tippy Toes that you, unlike Lyndal who is a serious seller , who has  never sold anything on eBay but have made 614  posts happen to know whether or nor Lyndal is paid something by eBay to say nice things about them in community forums  ?

Message 26 of 45
Latest reply

@rgherron wrote:

And how is it Tippy Toes that you, unlike Lyndal who is a serious seller , who has  never sold anything on eBay but have made 614  posts happen to know whether or nor Lyndal is paid something by eBay to say nice things about them in community forums  ?

Ummm, Lyndal is NOT a "serious seller" as she has never sold anything, EVER. She is a buyer. I have sold thousands of things, but I choose not to use my buying or selling accounts on the forums. A lot of members of these forums choose to use a posting ID, rather than their buying or selling account, which is perfectly legal.

Given that I have been around these forums longer than what you have, I probably know how things work a bit better than yourself.

Message 27 of 45
Latest reply

Well Tippy Toes I stand corrected in relation to Lyndal and your selling records but I'm afraid remain unconvinced re your lack of a relationship with eBay  

Message 28 of 45
Latest reply

Whenever I have posted before there always seems to be someone with a huge number of posts ready to jump in and defend eBay so I just naturally assumed their efforts did not go unrewarded.

Message 29 of 45
Latest reply

I can assure you that Tippy is correct.....I have never sold anything on ebay ever!!   All my feedback is for buying only.   Tippy is a different matter....she is a serious seller on another ID.

And all my post count means is that I spend more time on the boards than I should.   As for being rewarded by ebay for my efforts....I wish.   I have never received a cent for anything.   In fact, because I am a prolific buyer ebay does not even feel they need to bribe me with gift vouchers to encourage me to buy.  The only vouchers I get are those that are open to any buyer who spends enough money to qualify.

Message 30 of 45
Latest reply