Paypal refunds buyer after 5 months

Here is one to get the blood boiling ! Out of the blue a buyer claims they did not receive an item from 5 months ago. I provided a tracking number but that cannot be used now as it seems its too old to track (it just comes up invalid tracking number on Australia post tracking) . 

I provide the tracking number and receipt of postage to paypal along with the email I was sent by the buyer.

The buyer also emailed me saying the item did arrive but it was the wrong item. I ask why this was not reported 5 months ago but Paypal goes ahead and finds in favour of the buyer and refunds the money !

Surely not ?? !!  I suspect a scam but there doesn't seem a way out !

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Try going to an AP outlet and ask them if they can get the tracking details for you and print them out, then phone Paypal and tell them the situation - ask to speak to a supervisor if nessessary.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I would advise the buyer that as they have provided written confirmation that the package was received, an INR claim is a provably fraudulent action and their activities will be reported to ACORN.  

Also do as suggested above  Aus post can usually pull tracking details much longer than the online tool.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@starwood2111 wrote:

I provide the tracking number and receipt of postage to paypal along with the email I was sent by the buyer.

if the postage receipt shows the tracking number, and that tracking number matches the one you supplied to PayPal, then I would recommend that you call PayPal and point this out to them.  Ask to speak to a supervisor if you get nowhere with the first person you speak to.  Point out that they are in breach of their own seller protection policy if you have proof of tracking.  The fact that AP don’t allow online tracking so long after the transaction is more an indictment of the stupidity of PayPal having a 180 day claims period.  As others have advised you can contact AP to get the tracking information.

Also, remember to remain calm when speaking to them.  Point out that if the funds are not returned to you then having unsuccessfully tried to get them to return the funds you will have no choice but to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.  Some members have reported that this threat has been enough to get PayPal to reconsider their position.

If they do not return the funds then do make a complaint to the FOS.  Make sure that you let the FOS know that you have tried to get PayPal to return the funds but were unsuccessful.

I wish you luck with this.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

If you have a lodgement receipt showing the tracking number and when/where it was lodged I though this should be sufficient  for PayPal claims. Unlike ebay MBG who require proof of delivery I think PayPal policy states only proof of lodgement.

As has been suggested go to Aust Post and get details of the tracking. They will have it for you.

PayPal should reverse their position upon appeal with better evidence.

If they don't then a report to the FOS with your new evidence will do it for you.

And they will get a bill from the FOS of $1500 for their troubles.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Last year I had a buyer claim Not Received 5 months after the sale. I rang Aus Post and they emailed me a copy of the buyer's signature on delivery. I then had to upload the info to the PayPal dispute. It took 3 phone calls to PayPal to get it all sorted but eventually they denied the buyer's claim.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

PayPal should reverse their position upon appeal with better evidence.

If they don't then a report to the FOS with your new evidence will do it for you.

And they will get a bill from the FOS of $1500 for their troubles.

little wonder sellers have reported on these boards that when they have a strong case that PayPal declines that when they speak to a supervisor and mention that they will make a complaint to the FOS the supervisor usually reverses the decision OR makes a discretionary payment.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

This same fee is also applied to Australia Post if a successful complaint is made to the Postal Ombudsman.

So it should be enough to simply mention to them that you are prepared to raise a case with the applicable Ombudsman.

If Ombudsman cases are unsuccessful then the fee is not applied by the way.

But the Ombudsman will normally advise you that they will not proceed with the case and why.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I have appealed the case with Paypal and are awaiting the next decision. I appreciate the advice given thanks ! I will also try the Ombudsman

I think this is the crux of the issue as you get told with every payment and encourages too many issues such as this!

Refund information - Please accept or refuse this payment. If you accept this payment now but need to refund it later, the issue a refund link will be available on the transaction details page for 180 days after the payment was originally sent.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply