People making trouble?

Hi,

I've got a question - does ebay have an automated system that crawls all over ebay, looking for items to remove?  Or is it nasty people (probably competitors) just reporting items to get them removed?

It has happened to me twice in the last 3 days and now I have a 1 day suspension on my account.  All up, it has happened about 6 times including this most recent time, and I'm wondering if ebay clocks up these "transgressions" and then will hit me with a full suspension once it reaches X times? 

Everything I sell, others sell, (PLENTY of listings from other sellers) seemingly with no problems, so that's what leads me to believe that it is someone causing trouble.

Any advice would be very helpful!  ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: People making trouble?

both happen, for more obvious breaches of policy the ebay bots sometimes pick them up

but also, competitors do report violations on others listings.

and yes, ebay count your violations and it affects not only your ability to sell on ebay but also your standing in searches under best match

the best, and really only, way to avoid them is to comply with all of ebays rules and regulations when it comes to listing items.

-----------------------------------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

when your items were cancelled, you would have received an email.  In that email it would have given a reason for the cancellation i.e. keyword spamming, search manipulation,  use of 'offer' feature through the descritpion, use of the word 'not' in the title, stating 'No PayPal' in description, etc.

Take a look at the emails you have received and come back and tell us what reasons were given and we may be able to help you more.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Hi, it's probably a bit of both.  Ebay now have a policy that we are not allowed to duplicate listings, in other words you can't list one item in 2 separate listings like we used to do.  This is supposed to give all sellers an equal chance.  So every now & then we have some of ours removed by ebay as they have been accidentally listed when we already  had one going.  Apart from that, you will probably find there are also vindictive people out there who want to see your items removed.  We, the sellers are the ones who keep ebay going with fees etc, but we do not have the same rights as buyers which sucks!

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

I had 2 x policy violation for listing two mens shirts in casual shirts instead of t-shirts. The manufacturer called the shirts casual but I was not allowed to. Apparently a casual shirt on Ebay is one with buttons.

I appealed the violations with photographic evidence from the manufacturer but the violations were upheld. Could a rover program really pick up such a small detail that I, as a seller of clothing, was unaware of????? I think not.

Always remember, people get nasty with competition. Ebay is annonymous so they can be free to do as they please without having to face any concequences.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Yeah I've had issues with policy violations initailly it was because I stated what band the radio's can be proggrammed in which is perfectly legal, if licensed to be using other section of the band, although also stated was being sold programmed in a legal configuration.

So I decided not to mention it and just list the cb band happens again, turned out ebay policy was nearly 2 years out of date if I recall correctly. called them up to argue the fact that I'm only in violation, due to there outdated policy. sorry but the violation stands and we may consider updating in the next 6 months.

So remember boys and girls ebay is above federal regulations.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Smiley Surprised

Good grief, I am not often shocked on ebay but this has surprised me!!

You got a policy violation notice simply because you listed a T shirt under casual shirts?

That seems a bit nit picking to me. Sounds like an innocent enough sort of mistake anyone could make.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

You the sellers keep ebay going by paying the fees? REALLY. ALways thought it was the buyer actually spending their money on your items which then allows you to pay the fees. So who is really keeping ebay going?

Listings being reported. As a buyer (ONLY) I am always reporting listings for violations. I hate seeing a seller delibirately trying to mislead us buyers. If ebay didnt want you to list in TShirts they would only have one catergory just called CLOTHES and all clotheing would be listed there.

Same goes for keyword spamming, this is on the increase on ebay where sellers think they can use a title which has little relevance to the item other than they think they might get more views from potential buyers.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Personally, I think eBay is co-dependent on buyers and sellers - both contribute to the success and healthy (for lack of a better word, since co-dependency is generally considered unhealthy Smiley Very Happy ) function of the site.

For obvious reasons, I don't expect everyone to think like I do, but live and let live sell is my general motto. I have reported listings, but only those that were obviously and deliberately trying to scam people etc. If something is a breach of policy in some way, the only thing I'll do is bring it to the seller's attention - privately - so that they have a chance to address it before someone else decides not to give them that chance. For heaven's sake, eBay encourage sellers to list in more than one category, so I hardly think a shirt in a shirt category needs to be treated like the listing or seller is the scourge of eBay. 

What we need to get rid of is sellers or practices that give eBay a bad name, I'm all for that and applaud other member's continued efforts to report fraudulent sellers and listings, but a seller who has listed an item for sale, has that item to sell, and will honour that sale just the same as any other seller whose shirts are in the "right" category, is not turning buyers off eBay. Pretty sure I've never seen a complaint here along the lines of "Dear eBay community, I was looking for a t-shirt and accidently bought a casual shirt because it was mis-categorised. What can I do about this and when can I leave a neg...." Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

And just how then nappy does ebay know that some sellers are incorrectly listing items if it is not for some buyers (and probably competitor sellers) reporting them? SO they shouldnt be reported and just let them go on incorrectly listing their wares? Is that what you are saying?

Oh and its not sellers you report its the item they have listed and if a sellers items are continually reported for breaches of listing policy i would think they are not such an "innocent seller".

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply