Personal listings taking priority?

Hi,

I'm curious to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues we are.

We recently reactivated a dormant eBay account and started selling. About 150 listings in total. This was on a standard account and costing us about $220 p/mth. 

I was initially surprised by the conversion. Almost instantly we started selling well, with an average of 2 orders per day for 7 days.

I then found out that we could utilise the business account benefits and upgraded the account to Basic Business, for $29 p/mth. A huge saving.

However, sales stopped, almost instantly. With only 2 sales in the following 2 weeks!

I have spoken to eBay 3 times on this, and they assured me that Personal listings do not take priority... however, in my experience I cannot see how this could be the case.

Has anyone else experienced this? Would love to hear about it.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Personal listings taking priority?

@caminokids

The goods sales where maybe related to the new listings. Because new listings are much higher ranked than older ones. 

This is why GTC makes only sense when items sell well. For item that don't sell I use 30 days - and I never relist them. After 30 days I list them as similar item

Because similar items are treated as new item, but relisted start with probably not good search rank you had before.

Being curious about the search ranking I wrote a little free tool to check my search ranking for chosen keywords. Feel free to try: https://ranktool.bid

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Thanks Cooltronix... very helpful

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Actually, I do think eBay favour private or newbie sellers via best match.

Their reasoning would be that if these are encouraged by a few sales, they may well take up a store subscription.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

Interesting thinking, dazzledayz. That would actually make sense as part of the whole picture.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

Countess, there is very little about best match that is either transparent or understandable.

None of the rules eBay sets regarding seller perormance seem to apply to rankings via that algorithm.

I do see a fairly high number of newbie sellers appearing in the upper echelons of best match results though.

I've come to the opinion, as have many others, that BM has become a methodology whereby sales can be spread around according to the company's desires.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

When I started selling on another ID they certainly didn't favour me, even though my product was extremely popular.
Message 16 of 16
Latest reply