Postage Perception

When I have a buyer who purchases 2 of my items, I sometimes send them in a plain envelope as a parcel which costs $7.95 and I get a tracking number.

Today I discovered that the Yellow Express Post envelope costs exactly the same as a parcel - $7.95 and of course you also get tracking.

So, my question is - if you were a buyer and you received an Express Envelope, would you immediately think - "I didn't want Express Postage - I want to have just paid for regular postage!"

I guess it's all a matter of perception of value, and I'm keen to use the Express Post service, but I just don't want to invite any negative comments about postage.

I hope that all makes sense, lol.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Postage Perception

I'd send it Express....you could always ask the buyer if they want it sent Express at no further cost to them 🙂 ....Makes you look good
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

Express envelopes are for documents only, so they have greater restrictions on them than they do standard post large letters.

I have to charge a few dollars for standard post, and over $10 for an upgrade to express because of this. Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

Digi, are you sure that they're only for documents?

I'm looking on the Aus Post website and can't see anything that specifically says so.

It only says that the max weight is 500g and the thickness is 20mm.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

I'm afraid so.

I believe some of the terms are printed on the envelopes themselves, but I always refer to the full Aus Post letter guide for things like this, as the info on the website can be vague and misleading - this is from the latest version:

express letter terms.PNG

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

Thanks Digi!

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

This is a bit silly then - you can send CDS in the Express Post envelope   - but you can't send a  book.

@digital*ghost wrote:

express letter terms.PNG

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

Yes, definitely documents only. I tried a year or so ago to send something that wasn't a document, but still under 20mm and they wouldn't allow it. They are very strict about it I believe.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

Books are documents as far as I'm concerned. Especially paperbacks as they consist entirely of paper, like any other document.

Doesn't worry me, I don't offer express unless specifically requested. Which has been once.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

ditto....I send books (thin) & magazines in envelopes & have done for 7 years

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply