Postage Perception

When I have a buyer who purchases 2 of my items, I sometimes send them in a plain envelope as a parcel which costs $7.95 and I get a tracking number.

Today I discovered that the Yellow Express Post envelope costs exactly the same as a parcel - $7.95 and of course you also get tracking.

So, my question is - if you were a buyer and you received an Express Envelope, would you immediately think - "I didn't want Express Postage - I want to have just paid for regular postage!"

I guess it's all a matter of perception of value, and I'm keen to use the Express Post service, but I just don't want to invite any negative comments about postage.

I hope that all makes sense, lol.

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Postage Perception

Why are you paying $7.95 to send a parcel, I thought the standard rate was $7.60 ?
Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

Julie - the price went up recently.

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

The rules are a bit different for express. Ordinary letters don't have to be paper or documents only.

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

But the OP question is specifically about express post

replies about ordinary post are irrelevant.

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

@cushioncovers wrote:

When I have a buyer who purchases 2 of my items, I sometimes send them in a plain envelope as a parcel which costs $7.95 and I get a tracking number.

Today I discovered that the Yellow Express Post envelope costs exactly the same as a parcel - $7.95 and of course you also get tracking.

So, my question is - if you were a buyer and you received an Express Envelope, would you immediately think - "I didn't want Express Postage - I want to have just paid for regular postage!"

I guess it's all a matter of perception of value, and I'm keen to use the Express Post service, but I just don't want to invite any negative comments about postage.

In answer to  your original question:   As a buyer I would not object to the seller sending it by express - as long as it didn't cost me anymore than it would have by ordinary post.   So in your example you were going to charge $7.95 for a parcel.    But you think you can send it as express for the same, so why wouldn't the buyer be happy?

Of course it does raise the question as pointed out ^^^  you can't send your cushion covers in an Express Post envelope which says "for letters and documents only".Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

Hi Julie, Aust post booklet "Aust Post charges" covers everthing, free at the PO. It is released twice a year approx.

And once you get over all the stuff in there, it is a very valuable little booklet.

Increase in pricing occured 2nd oct 2017, now $7.95.

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

If I received something via Express service, and didn't pay any more for that specific delivery service, I think I would be very happy. As presumably would have arrived earlier than expected.

But have to agree with the other posters you might be opening yourself up to some problems with AP with it not meeting their requirements for that service. You might have been lucky so far. 

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

The point was that books, consisting wholly of paper, are documents.

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

I wish I could convince my local post office of that

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

Postage Perception

@cushioncovers wrote:

Well, it looks as if that idea has been nipped in the bud by the sounds of things as you won't be able to pass off cushion covers as documents.

But as a general principal (just supposing you had been able to go ahead), I think the answer to your question is probably that all buyers would be very happy to receive their parcel pronto. No doubts about that. But there would be a few who would think to themselves-hmm, maybe she could have done it slightly cheaper with regular mail, I wouldn't have minded saving a couple of bucks.

There would be bound to be. Buyers are a mixed species, as you know.

I know all the arguments sellers here put forward about people knowing the price before they bid and all that matters is the total price and so on but human nature is human nature.

So.. if the opportunity ever arises where postal regulations change & you can send your items express at the same cost,  I would definitely use express BUT I would do what someone else said previously and have a little cut & paste spiel for each buyer where you explained you could send express at no extra cost to standard so you were doing that in order to get their item to them faster.

People love fast & they love getting extra for their money, but not as many like paying for it.

Message 20 of 25
Latest reply