Postage of items 10 ~ 30 kgs

Greetings,

Does anyone have any experience in calculating postage cost and sell prices for otems from a fixed location to anywhere within australia?

I am not real confident in just having to guess at costs.

Question 2

Can anyone recomment acourier company that can integrate with ebay for aforementioned postage decisions?

Cheers

Darren

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I use the Australia Post calculator and randomly pick post codes in several states incl. WA & Tas to get a reasonable idea. I then add a few more dollars just to be safe. This works OK ..........BUT I only sell expensive items in large sizes with very high profit margins ie. I need to make perhaps $250 profit on a $300 item to be worth mucking around with large expensive stuff. This way if the postage cost goes pear shaped, I just take a hair cut on my profit. It would be too risky to use this strategy with new or low profit items. 

I have sold 20 kg car parts and vintage electronics / computers and mailed them interstate without dramas.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Australia Post and their courier arm, StarTrack, will only handle up to 22kg.   Most couriers are the same.

If you need to ship larger items you will need to look at freight companies not couriers.   They use bigger trucks and load with forklifts.....they also carry pallet loads, heavy machinery etc.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for that.

Do you know of a way to integrate their services into your listings?

Cheerz

Darren

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Australia Post and their courier arm, StarTrack, will only handle up to 22kg.   Most couriers are the same.

If you need to ship larger items you will need to look at freight companies not couriers.   They use bigger trucks and load with forklifts.....they also carry pallet loads, heavy machinery etc.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@peeknservices wrote:

Thanks for that.

Cheerz

Darren

Most simply put freight in the postage section.
The buyer is then instructed to get a quote from the seller to their location.
image host
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@peeknservices wrote:

Thanks for that.

Cheerz

Darren

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Sorry, I am not an ebay seller so have no idea how to do a listing.

My expertise is in the transport industry.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks for that.

I guess I am going to have to re phrase my question

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

from the Spring update....maybe this is what you have been waiting for:

Later this year, weโ€™ll be bringing a new carrier onto the platform with competitive postage rates.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Be interesting to see.

It looks like it is only for small parcels upto 5kg, my smallest parcel is 5.5kg's...

Cheers

Darren

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I use the Australia Post calculator and randomly pick post codes in several states incl. WA & Tas to get a reasonable idea. I then add a few more dollars just to be safe. This works OK ..........BUT I only sell expensive items in large sizes with very high profit margins ie. I need to make perhaps $250 profit on a $300 item to be worth mucking around with large expensive stuff. This way if the postage cost goes pear shaped, I just take a hair cut on my profit. It would be too risky to use this strategy with new or low profit items. 

I have sold 20 kg car parts and vintage electronics / computers and mailed them interstate without dramas.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply