Postage rip off-Post office ripping me/customers off

If there is an Australia Post rep out there then can you please explain to me why Aust Post is ripping people off with postage cost as I have been ripped off many times now and all I get for an answer is sorry but you are wrong.For example I have just been ripped off today,I went and posted a letter with registered postage and it weighs 35 grams and when the postal worker placed it on the scales it came up as 246 grams which she then charged me $1.40 instead of $0.70 **bleep**???????.The letter did not weigh 1/4 of a kilo! The scales are totally out of wack and the post office knows this and I am sick and tired of being ripped off.I remember years ago when Coles in my local area tampered with their scales to make things weigh more and they were caught and fined for it,I have a feeling that this is what is happening with my local post office?

I think that I might have to carry my own scales with me when I go to the post office from now on.

I don't mind paying for postage as long as I am charged the correct costs but to be totally ripped off like this is just very unfair.

Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
8 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I guess the way to be sure of this would be to take a calibration weight along with you: eg 100g and stick it on their scales to test that they are out (or not). You can buy calibration weights pretty cheaply from eBay ๐Ÿ˜‰

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 58
Latest reply

Weigh your items before you go and write the weight on the package. When they put them on the scales and there is a significant difference, refuse to let them process them. That way you will not be caught wondering.

In that case of a letter, just ask for stamps and put them on yourself and put it in letter box..

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!

Message 3 of 58
Latest reply

That's a very good idea. Following a number of discrepancies with item weights at my local LPO, I started writing down the precise weights on all of my articles, whether they be letters or parcels, and in some cases there was in excess of 100g difference between mine and the LPO's indicated weights (in their favour, of course) so after nothing was done about it, I made an official complaint to AP and amazingly, the very next (and subsequent) times I took my mail to the LPO, their scales suspiciously began measuring precisely the same as mine, and have done so ever since.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that all LPO franchisees are dishonest but given the number of articles they process on a daily basis, there is certainly an incentive to increase their profits quite substantially by adding just a very small amount to every item processed, and the absolute vast majority of customers wouldn't have a clue.

Message 4 of 58
Latest reply

I took my scales down to a post officce once to prove a point, but I have changed post offices since then. I always write the weight and price on letters and parcels now so I know what to expect.

Also remember that letters over 5mm thick cost $1.40 minimum. I have a letter gauge to keep an eye on that and the 2cm meaurement.

Message 9 of 58
Latest reply

I'd be taking my business elsewhere.

When I first started selling my LPO gave me a little trouble too, not with weights though,, it was more the rudeness and lack of customer service.

When I told them within 2 years I'd be their biggest customer they suddenly got it right and have treated me with courtesy and respect ever since - and whilst i'm not their biggest customer, I'm not far off.

Message 23 of 58
Latest reply

Zelly, I would still be reporting this to Aust Post - complaints/enquiries??  it is definitely an issue for Aust Post authorities to deal with. Not only for you but all others who are dealing with this LPO,  If the people running this franchise aren't up to speed, then they need to be sorted out by Aust Post officials

Message 28 of 58
Latest reply

I also was continually getting a different weight to the local post office.  I then bought a set of digital scales from the post office for

the grand sum of $39.95.  Even after weighing my items the post office was always coming up with a heavier weight.  I then took

the scales back to exchange for another set.  Each time the same thing happened.  A worker at the post office told me that they

took each and every set of scales out of the boxes to compare and not one of them had the same reading.  They said they would

send the lot back to the supplier.  A week later I noticed all the scales in the post office out on special for $19.95.  I would encourage everyone who can be bothered to take their scales down to the post office for comparisons if they have any doubt that the weights

are not aligning. 

Message 29 of 58
Latest reply

Some of the operators of LPO's can be quite dodgy in my experience.

They are also very often not up to date with AP pricing policies.

This matter however is quite serious implying, as it does, an outright fraud but  there are a couple of options open to you:

1. Fair Trading in most states is responsible for weights and measures these days - make an official complaint.

2. Contact Australia Post and make a formal complaint via phone - 137678 or email via the "contact us" link on their website.

You should probably do both.

AP have area supervisors who's job is to keep LPO's in line.

Message 31 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

I guess the way to be sure of this would be to take a calibration weight along with you: eg 100g and stick it on their scales to test that they are out (or not). You can buy calibration weights pretty cheaply from eBay ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 2 of 58
Latest reply

Weigh your items before you go and write the weight on the package. When they put them on the scales and there is a significant difference, refuse to let them process them. That way you will not be caught wondering.

In that case of a letter, just ask for stamps and put them on yourself and put it in letter box..

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 3 of 58
Latest reply

That's a very good idea. Following a number of discrepancies with item weights at my local LPO, I started writing down the precise weights on all of my articles, whether they be letters or parcels, and in some cases there was in excess of 100g difference between mine and the LPO's indicated weights (in their favour, of course) so after nothing was done about it, I made an official complaint to AP and amazingly, the very next (and subsequent) times I took my mail to the LPO, their scales suspiciously began measuring precisely the same as mine, and have done so ever since.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that all LPO franchisees are dishonest but given the number of articles they process on a daily basis, there is certainly an incentive to increase their profits quite substantially by adding just a very small amount to every item processed, and the absolute vast majority of customers wouldn't have a clue.
Message 4 of 58
Latest reply

We have invested in a set of good quality digital scales at home.

When we go into our LPO we always weigh the package on our scales before we go.

We know that the weight given by the LPO scales is always within one/two grams of ours.

They tell us that their scales are calibrated every 12-months.

Just make sure that there is no other items/paperwork touching the scale surface at the time they are weighing the item.

So we are confident our LPO is not ripping us off, but that may not be the same for all LOP's.

Message 5 of 58
Latest reply

Thanks for your advise,I usually do put stamps on the envelopes myself apart from when I need to send items registered.And I do weigh my items before I post them and this letter only weighed 35 grams so there was a hugh difference in weight,my eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw the scale weight when the worker placed it on the scales.I even told her that this envelope only should weigh 35 grams not 246 grams but she refused to agree with me.

Message 6 of 58
Latest reply

I'm not suggesting that all post agencies are dishonest either but this one seems to be dishonest and I'm always one step away from going crazy.I post 100s of items each month and when you are getting ripped off it adds up to plenty of $$.

Message 7 of 58
Latest reply

Hi thanks for your advise,I have scales and I do weigh the items that's why I couldn't believe what their scales showed so from now on I will be taking the scales with me just to prove my point cheers

Message 8 of 58
Latest reply

I took my scales down to a post officce once to prove a point, but I have changed post offices since then. I always write the weight and price on letters and parcels now so I know what to expect.

Also remember that letters over 5mm thick cost $1.40 minimum. I have a letter gauge to keep an eye on that and the 2cm meaurement.

Message 9 of 58
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

35g to 246g is a huge discrepancy.  

Surely there must be a dept of Aust Post that you can contact, so someone in authority can check the scales at your local PO.  It may well be a franchise LPO, but would still come under the jurisdiction of Aust Post, and as such should not be able to get away with such blatant over-weighing/over-charging.

I believe it is time for you to be proactive on this one.

Message 10 of 58
Latest reply