Postage

I have been posting with my own packaging and paying the flat rate.A parcel taken to the post office today was cubed and the postage was so high that is not possible to post so I will have to cancell the sale. I contacted Aus. Post and they tell me that the flat rate only applies if Satchels are used.If using own packaging and cubing postage is higher than the flat rate that is the postage that is charged. Is this correct? Perhaps I misread something. Please make allowances for old age 89yrs. this year!  Patricia.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Postage

Any parcel using your own packaging is always cubed if it weights over 1kg. If it is excessively large and under 1kg they reserve the right to cube, it would need to be quite big or the staff to be new and just read the traing manual.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Use your own packaging. 

Just put it inside a satchel to get the flat rate.

If it packs, it posts -

https://auspost.com.au/flat-rate-sending

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

For your larger items the old Bx4 box option is still available on ebay and might work for you

Australia Post Parcel Post Extra Large Box

Up to 5 kg

Max. 43cm x 31cm x 19cm

$18.50  plus the cost of the box  (using ebay labels, it might be a little less)

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I Have found over the years some Post Offices cube some items or everything over 500g and some do not. I never go back if they cube my items as it costs a lot more to Tas or WA ect. I believe they have always had the right to cube in the terms. Luckily I found a good PO that never does and have lots of others around here. As for cubing items that that are not square or rectangular >> it is theft.
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@tennis_bagel wrote:
I Have found over the years some Post Offices cube some items or everything over 500g and some do not. I never go back if they cube my items as it costs a lot more to Tas or WA ect. I believe they have always had the right to cube in the terms. Luckily I found a good PO that never does and have lots of others around here. As for cubing items that that are not square or rectangular >> it is theft.

They have no volume?

I use AP satchels. Simple. Up to 5kg, if it packs, it posts.

Plus, I don't have to muck around with calculated postage.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:
 As for cubing items that that are not square or rectangular >> it is theft.

They have no volume?

Yeah, but AP charge for volume that often isn't there when an irregular package is cubed, since they'll measure the extremities and cube that.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Sounds fair to me. They take up as much room in the truck as a 3-d rhomboid would.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Sounds fair to me. They take up as much room in the truck as a 3-d rhomboid would.

An L-shaped package wouldn't - neither would many other shapes.

Can't tell me the workers don't play a little Tetris when loading the trucks. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply