Postage

Can I post an item using the ebay mailing  address or do I have to use  the paypal receipt address?  

What are the consequences if they are different to each other?  Is it written as policy anywhere?

I have been searching and tried asking ebay chat but just got given the entire user agreement policy which

it does not appear to be in.  Any help much appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Postage

As far as eBay is concerned you can send it to either address.

BUT, you have zero protection if NOT sent to PayPal address.

SO, make it a habit to always send to the address in PayPal NOT the address shown on the eBay order.

And if a buyer of a substantially priced item messages me after to give a different address, I refund and ask them to complete checkout again with the correct address.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Postage

Listen to Kopes extremely sound advice.

If an item's tracking shows as delivered to the PayPal registered postcode, PayPal will cover you in the event of an INR claim.

That coverage extends to the full cost of your product plus postage ie the full value of the PP transaction.

If you send to a different address (postcode) you are on your own and eBay certainly will NOT help.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Postage

@mybookstoreonline wrote:

Can I post an item using the ebay mailing  address or do I have to use  the paypal receipt address?  

What are the consequences if they are different to each other?  Is it written as policy anywhere?

I have been searching and tried asking ebay chat but just got given the entire user agreement policy which

The address on the PayPal email and in the order details on ebay should be identical, as the buyer confirms the address when going through eBay's checkout and whatever address that may have been provided or on file with eBay prior to that is irrelevant. (In general, you can consider the eBay registered address as the billing address, and the PayPal address as the shipping address).

I did have one instance where the eBay and PayPal addresses differed but it was a minor detail (i.e. they almost matched, but one had a different state or suburb and postcode), and I think it's a PayPal issue where - for whatever reason - the primary PayPal address overrides the eBay address confirmed at checkout, so if the address currently showing on the eBay order details is completely different to the one on the PayPal receipt, the chances are slightly higher the buyer intended to have the item shipped to the eBay address. If it's a higher value item, though, you may want to cancel the transaction citing that there is a problem with the address, and the buyer can re-purchase to hopefully correct the error.

Earlier in the week, I sold an item on a different platform, where the buyer paid with PayPal. The address on the PP receipt was in the US, so I created a postage label using that, but when I went to update the order on said platform, the shipping address showing on the site was an address in the Ukraine Smiley Surprised

Thankfully, I had not actually handed over the package at that point, so I messaged the buyer and asked which was the correct address, and they said it was the Ukraine address. I cancelled and fully refunded the order, as the buyer can't dispute the transaction via the platform, but they can with PayPal, so in that case I would only ever ship to the PayPal address. I gave them two methods to re-purchase the item and advised they may need to update their address in PP to make sure they matched, but I haven't heard from them since - others have suggested it may have been a highjacked account, so when there are discrepancies between eBay order details, and the PayPal receipt address, better to be safe than sorry because the transaction can be disputed on eBay or PayPal. 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Postage

In these cases I always conatct the buyer and tell them that there is a discrepancy with the postage address. I tell them the address I will be sending to, which is the PP one and that if there are any problems to contact me.

Usually it works out ok as it is normally the Ebay address which they haven't updated, but best to double check.

Ebay policy is to send to the PP address on file.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Postage

Uness there has been a change in policy which I am not aware of, sellers must only  send to the address provided by the buyer in paypal 

Having said that, I have not seen any address for the buyer on ebay email notifications for some time now

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Postage

As far as eBay is concerned you can send it to either address.

BUT, you have zero protection if NOT sent to PayPal address.

SO, make it a habit to always send to the address in PayPal NOT the address shown on the eBay order.

And if a buyer of a substantially priced item messages me after to give a different address, I refund and ask them to complete checkout again with the correct address.

image host
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Postage

Listen to Kopes extremely sound advice.

If an item's tracking shows as delivered to the PayPal registered postcode, PayPal will cover you in the event of an INR claim.

That coverage extends to the full cost of your product plus postage ie the full value of the PP transaction.

If you send to a different address (postcode) you are on your own and eBay certainly will NOT help.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Postage

@mybookstoreonline wrote:

The address on the PayPal email and in the order details on ebay should be identical, as the buyer confirms the address when going through eBay's checkout and whatever address that may have been provided or on file with eBay prior to that is irrelevant. (In general, you can consider the eBay registered address as the billing address, and the PayPal address as the shipping address).

I did have one instance where the eBay and PayPal addresses differed but it was a minor detail (i.e. they almost matched, but one had a different state or suburb and postcode), and I think it's a PayPal issue where - for whatever reason - the primary PayPal address overrides the eBay address confirmed at checkout, so if the address currently showing on the eBay order details is completely different to the one on the PayPal receipt, the chances are slightly higher the buyer intended to have the item shipped to the eBay address. If it's a higher value item, though, you may want to cancel the transaction citing that there is a problem with the address, and the buyer can re-purchase to hopefully correct the error.

Earlier in the week, I sold an item on a different platform, where the buyer paid with PayPal. The address on the PP receipt was in the US, so I created a postage label using that, but when I went to update the order on said platform, the shipping address showing on the site was an address in the Ukraine Smiley Surprised

Thankfully, I had not actually handed over the package at that point, so I messaged the buyer and asked which was the correct address, and they said it was the Ukraine address. I cancelled and fully refunded the order, as the buyer can't dispute the transaction via the platform, but they can with PayPal, so in that case I would only ever ship to the PayPal address. I gave them two methods to re-purchase the item and advised they may need to update their address in PP to make sure they matched, but I haven't heard from them since - others have suggested it may have been a highjacked account, so when there are discrepancies between eBay order details, and the PayPal receipt address, better to be safe than sorry because the transaction can be disputed on eBay or PayPal. 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Postage

Thank you all for your replies.

Paypal address it is.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply