Postage

OK, I'm fed up.  I sell CDs and DVDs mostly.  Each item costs me $2.20 to post using stamps from my local post office. All of my items offer free postage. Each item sells for an average of around $12+-.  Of course, by using stamps, I cannot add tracking to my items. (Within Australia). Ebay insists on tracking. The cheapest I can post an item in Australia using tracking is $9.15.  I cannot run this business when my slim margins are eroded by paying $7 more for postage than my (up till now) successful usage of stamps.  I can't even print a proper invoice with the new changes.  Does anybody else have the same problem? What's the answer? Cheers, Warren.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Postage

Not true.

AP have been offering envelopes with tracking for some time.

small - 2.95,  medium - 4.95, and large 5.95.

The medium is up to 500g and 20mm thick.

And even cheaper if you buy them in packs.

Also, perhaps it's time to put a couple of dollars for postage and handling.

I know if you had a cd I was looking for, if it was free postage or $2.50 for postage wouldn't make any difference to me. Granted, if it was 9-10 dollars postage I would think twice. Even with $3.00 - 4.00 I would buy.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Postage

You can get the green envelopes which are tracked.

They are made of a firm/rigid  cardboard and come in 3 sizes. If your local PO does not have them, they can order them for you and you get a bit of a discount if you buy a pack of 10.

The biggest size is an A4, which costs just over $7.00, so the other sizes will obviously be cheaper.

In reality, there is no such thing as "free postage" - you are simply losing money by paying out of pocket. Perhaps one way is to add postage but split it, so that you add in part of the cost to the listing (say $2.00) and put the rest as an actual postage charge (say $3.00). The bonus is that you get tracking so both you and the buyer will have peace of mind.

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 11.05.41 am.png

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Postage

Hi,

I've decided to stop selling for other reasons, but;

I used to send items like CDs through registered mail.. used to be $5.40 prepaid envelope or $4.30 postage only. you are limited to 5mm thickness, however.

you just might have to add the cost or partial cost to the free postage selling price.

Good luck

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Postage

I generally just ignore all the pressures ebay tries to put on me for whatever change they want businesses to adopt (get this badge, get that badge, do free post, pay for COM returns, blah blah blah) - my advice to any seller is that first and foremost, listen to yourself and your buyers over anything eBay might say (unless it is a mandatory policy type of thing I suppose) - what do they (buyers) want, what do you need, and what works best for both? eBay will only tell you what some out-of-context and unquantified statistic "wants".  If you are running successfully, no buyer issues etc, then ebay doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to you and your customers and their push (shove) to tracked postage is not currently applicable to you and your business, and you won't need to read the rest of my post. 😁

I'm not sure how in-demand CDs are these days so the market may be a bit more sensitive to changes, but in your case, if I were to introduce tracked postage, I would try keeping your prices as is, but add the cost of the tracked upgrade as postage, then implement a promotion for free postage on X or more number of items (presumably each item has X amount built in for untracked shipping, so if someone buys 4 or 5, tracked shipping should be covered?). This will have a lower impact on perception of item price + postage, and give people and incentive to purchase multiple items.

For myself, I sell small, low-value items (starting from around $3) and always listed postage costs (untracked letter rate) separately to item prices as free post really doesn't suit craft supplies that well (IMO). A few months back, I decided to double my postage charge and send everything tracked. The decision was made largely to test if my market would accept higher postage costs for low-value items, but also I did want to take some pressure off, and the latter has certainly been successful. 

I actually chose a pretty unfortunate time for my experiment, in retrospect, as it's been difficult to gauge the full impact of the change when my other platforms (Etsy and my own website), where I made no postage changes, have also been affected by a downturn in sales, but it definitely has had an impact - however, they are not all bad, and I still get people buying only one item and paying more than twice the price in postage on top of the item price, though that is rarer now. 

Sales are down, but still high enough to keep eBay worthwhile. Problems with buyers have been reduced by about 90% - that may sound hyperbolic, but it really isn't. Not only do I not get any "where is my item?" messages any more, but I get far fewer petty complaints, too - the higher postage costs seems to have eliminated many of the "I got exactly what I ordered but not what I imagined so now I'm going to throw a tantrum" buyers. (Interpret that however you will 😆 )

Honestly, I think that for eBay, the writing is on the wall and while tracked postage may not ever become compulsory, it will become expected by the vast majority of buyers (may be years away, but I am convinced it'll be the case sooner or later), which is as good as mandatory, and I really got tired of explaining to people why the item they bought with $3 postage didn't have a tracking number, lol. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Postage

I agree with everything you've said...and (for me) the only way around all this is to sell all my items in 'bulk', thereby eliminating most of the item specifics, whilst having everything 'tracked'....but I hope it doesn't come to this

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply