Posting OOSHIES

Ooshies, those horrid plastic Woolworths things. My mum had a heap of them so I was looking at what they are selling for. People are selling the individual Ooshies for $4 or $5, up to $10 each with free postage. The only way they could make a profit on that is to send them as a large letter. I measured my Ooshies and the smallest is 25mm wide, up to 35mm, too big to send as a large letter. So 1 Ooshie would be a parcel. I imagine these sellers are sending their Ooshies in an envelope with 2 stamps. I bet Australia Post hate that, as things bigger than 2cm can get caught in their sorting machines. How do people get away with this? As a rule I don't send anything thicker than 18mm as a large letter. Anyone else selling Ooshies???
Message 1 of 130
Latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

Re: Posting OOSHIES

I can understand people (mostly adults, I suspect) being interested in collectables.

And I can see how the little shop things may be of interest to people in eg 50-100 years time.

I would certainly be interested in seeing a replica set of the items on sale in 1919, if they had made them back then.

But here's the thing. If they had made them back then, they would have been made to last. They would have been in a decent material and the display case would have been made of wood.

What we are seeing with the Little things is display cases that cost $4.

I think that this time round, Coles has learnt a lesson and is limiting sales(or at least in our supermarket they are) but last year, the cases sold out immediately and were later fetching $50-$140 on ebay. Now, these little cases are the cheapest of the cheap plastic. They will be brittle and probably will disintegrate within a few years. They had the trolleys last year as well. Again, they're pretty flimsy things.

I wouldn't mind if shops came out with collectable/memorabilia but would prefer to see it come at a price, with perhaps a discount for other purchases over a certain amount. But I would like to see the quality rise about 1000%. At the moment, these things are pretty much junk.

Message 41 of 130
Latest reply

Making them flimsy can help with collectability due to the fact not as many will survive 100 years. The only problem is to make money on them would be if you found a set in 50 years in new condition and sold them the next day. 

Message 42 of 130
Latest reply

Probably. Except I won't be here in 50 years.

It wouldn't be much fun having a collectable set though if you couldn't take it out sometimes to look at or show your children & grandchildren.

I've no doubt the little things will be a collectable in 50 years because I think a lot of them have just been thrown out and even in 20 years or so, people may toss out the cases as junk.

Some of the early McDonald's toys (unopened) are now worth a bit, apparently. But who can bother keeping every bit of plastic junk that comes into the house. Most of these things just become landfill.

Message 43 of 130
Latest reply

I collect them for the grandkids. It does clearly state on each wrapper NOT FOR RESALE.... so whatโ€™s the consequences of selling them? Maybe I could list this 10 as a lucky dip ๐Ÿ˜€

make a quick buck! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

D2E701E2-99B7-4BF2-BB28-4BB1FDC524B8.jpeg

45D003EF-BDE6-4F5B-B977-0BE15CEDEF3E.jpeg

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 44 of 130
Latest reply

The Not for Resale is for Retailers and businesses.

Private individuals can sell their own.

image host
Message 45 of 130
Latest reply

I'd be selling them Jane, if the kids have completed their collection. I have a stack here. I have sold some, unopened. I'm tempted to open the rest, because one might be the illusive hairy Simba. I'd hate to sell it unopened for $5, when I could sell it for $250,000!!!

Message 46 of 130
Latest reply

Wouldn't you be able to tell if it was a furry Simba inside just by feeling it (unopened)?
Message 47 of 130
Latest reply

According to woolies they don't support the resale of the ooshies.

Message 48 of 130
Latest reply

Scammers are placing fur on the regular ooshies and saying that it's the fury ooshie lol and asking $5K 

Message 49 of 130
Latest reply

There might be a bit of fur flying when the buyers receive them.

I was talking about feeling the packets from Woolies before they're opened, which wouldn't be tampered with.
Message 50 of 130
Latest reply