Power seller sent wrong size- won't accept return

Good day fellow Ebayers. Help or advice will be appreciated with the following.

I purchased a size 18 blouse from a large, power seller, new with tags. The item arrived in good time but I received a Small instead. (Item price $19 with free postage)

I contacted the seller to ask how to rectify it. They responded with a $6 partial refund offer and advised me to resell or gift to a friend. I declined and asked to return item with full refund - with seller covering postage.

The response just came in saying they don't accept returns and asked "what amount would be acceptable to me".

The listing shows returns within 30 days with buyer paying postage.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Power seller sent wrong size- won't accept return

Define large, because the OP hasn't. Large to the OP could be several hundred $4 sales per year. We don't know.

Large to me is thousands of transactions per year with turnover ex postage of at least $70k. Otherwise it is not a full-time business. MY definition of the minimum size for 'large'.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I don't need to define it - the OP described the seller as large - that's good enough for me, and regardless of their size, by selling on eBay they're bound to adhere to eBay's conditions, whether fully aware of them or not.

While a new seller might not be aware of some of the conditions pertaining to an incorrect item being sent and the requirements for a subsequent return, a large/experienced/high volume seller most likely is, hence my comment.

I think it's safe to infer from what the the OP has shared that the seller is aware of the OP's right to return the item, but is trying to avoid that happening.

Regardless, I'm not sure nit-picking the OP's choice of adjective offers anything useful to the discussion - do you have any advice you'd like to share with the OP for their situation?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Hi everyone. Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll wait it out now until Ebay can step in.

For what it's worth, and based on some of the questions above, the seller averages about 200 feedbacks per month - not sure how that sits size wise in terms of Ebay trader.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

What brand was it? If it was plus-sized clothing then S would be about 16-18 depending on stretch etc. But a regular S, 8-10 is a long way off. Were there measurements in the listing?
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Did you look at the size chart? Often a size 18 on the Asian market is what we would call a size 12 at best. If the measurements match up with the size chart then I am afraid the seller is in the right. There is no industry standard as far as clothing items are concerned and there is often a vast difference in the same size between different countries.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

The size chart on the listing shows an 18 to be XL. I received a small.

Another message from seller tonight telling me that they are sorry for "my situation" but no returns accepted and another token refund offered.

Not doing any more communication with them now. I have a day job... :-). will wait for Ebay.

Interestingly they have a recent negative from a customer who bought the exact same top in a size 18 but received a small.

Thanks for input. Will advise of Ebay outcome.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

It's the 9th today, any progress?

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@lovingbricks wrote:
The size chart on the listing shows an 18 to be XL. I received a small.

Another message from seller tonight telling me that they are sorry for "my situation" but no returns accepted and another token refund offered.

Not doing any more communication with them now. I have a day job... :-). will wait for Ebay.

Interestingly they have a recent negative from a customer who bought the exact same top in a size 18 but received a small.

Thanks for input. Will advise of Ebay outcome.

I'd be livid by now. They seem to keep repeating they don't accept returns but they just don't get it that this is not a normal return, & that it is not okay to send the entirely wrong product. As a regular seller, he/she should know better.

Yes, for sure, just follow through with your ebay case. I suspect they are trying to bluff you into accepting things their way. Don't.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply