Power seller sent wrong size- won't accept return

Good day fellow Ebayers. Help or advice will be appreciated with the following.

I purchased a size 18 blouse from a large, power seller, new with tags. The item arrived in good time but I received a Small instead. (Item price $19 with free postage)

I contacted the seller to ask how to rectify it. They responded with a $6 partial refund offer and advised me to resell or gift to a friend. I declined and asked to return item with full refund - with seller covering postage.

The response just came in saying they don't accept returns and asked "what amount would be acceptable to me".

The listing shows returns within 30 days with buyer paying postage.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Open a case for "Item Not as Described". The seller will HAVE to pay for the return postage.They have to accept returns as Ebay policy overrides whatever policies they have.

Is the seller Aussie based?

On the other hand, they might just refund you in full rather than incurring return postage costs. If this is the case, you get to keep the item and do what you want with it.

Their hand will be forced once you open the case.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

The seller's return policy (whether they accept them or not) does not apply in cases where you receive an incorrect item. It is actually a breach of Australian consumer law (if they are an Aussie business) to advise you that they don't accept returns if you receive an item that is not as described in this way (a seller can refuse to accept a return for change of mind, eg you bought a small and found out it doesn't fit after receiving it, but they can not refuse if you bought one size and received a different size).

If they did indeed send the wrong item in error, and are not willing to assist with a refund, the best option would be to open a return request with eBay, citing that the wrong item was sent. 

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Don't humour the seller!

You did the courteous thing and gave them a chance to rectify the situation.  Now go straight to EBay and open a Not as Described case.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

That's outrageous. I personally would be furious. Mistakes i understand. Anyone can make them. But I would have expected a better response froma  seller, especially a 'power seller'.

As someone else said, that's not a change of mind return at all, it is a case of the seller giving you the wrong item in the first place. Regardless of his returns policy, it is his responsibility to fix this. That's the law.

I wouldn't mess around contacting him any more, he had his chance. It would have been okay if he had said he could offer a full refund etc OR if you preferred, a partial refund and you kept the top. But to limit it to offering only a partial refund was ridiculous.

Open your not as described case asap & he will have to pay return postage then.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks to everyone who responded. Your time is appreciated!

I opened an Ebay case and stated the facts. The seller and I have until 9 June to try and resolve it before Ebay steps in.

Seller responded today with the following:

"Size may be 2cm/1inch inaccuracy due to hand measure. We have size chart on our page. You also can measure it and compare it with the one at our size chart. Or do you agree to keep it or resell to others and we refund AUD1.50 as our sincere apology"

I don't want to resell the item or gift it. I just want my money back now and not be out of pocket for the postage.

I responded yet again stating that I do not want to resell and would like a refund. I pointed out that size small and size 18 are two opposite sides of the size spectrum and that slight size variation has nothing to do with it as I'm going by the size label.

Do I have to entertain this message exchange until the 9th when Ebay will step in. I can see it's going to go nowhere.
Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

A large seller is perfectly aware of eBay's policies and their own responsibilities to adhere them.  Don't worry about going back and forth replying to any further messages from the seller - they're just trying to talk you out of following through with the "item not as described case", and the defect notice they'll receive from it.

If you can be bothered messaging them again (through the resolution centre of course, no the general eBay messaging), politely reaffirm that as per eBay's policy, the seller is responsible for accepting a return on an incorrect item, you won't be accepting any other proposals from them, and you would appreciate their prompt attention to the situation.

Hope the situation is sorted out quickly for you!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

A powerseller is not necessarily a large seller.

The criteria are 100 sales and $1000 gross per annum. Hardly a high bar or a full-time business at anywhere near the threshold. I am PS on my 2 other accounts, and I still have to go to work every day.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

davewil1964, second line from the OP:

"I purchased a size 18 blouse from a large, power seller, new with tags."

I have no reason to doubt the OP's assessment - do you?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Psssst, Tazzie, run.   running smiley.gif         Don't look back.      Run fast  

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply