Prices of postage is why to high. Could it be monitored?

bellee78
Community Member

I have been buying sewing patterns on ebay recently and have noticed the postage prices vary quite abit. And when I have recieved them there has been 2 or 3 x 60Cent stamp on them and I have been charge $2.00. I know it's not much but do that for awhile to so many people and your making a nice little profit. It would be good to have a basic link with the price of postage in our own and around the world, then we can determine wether to buy the item or not, and this may also make the some of the sellers pull their heads in with over charging on postage. If they want to see a item for a certain amount then put a reserve on it and not make up the differance on postage.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Nobody else has mentioned the cost paid to Paypal just to collect that postage cost.

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

thats right peridot, paypal fee on the postage is another .5cents

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

@adornedau wrote:

WOW. So glad you haven't bought from me. I sell sewing patterns and my postage costs are either $1.50 or $2.00 depending on the size and weight of the pattern. If I drive for 20 minutes to the nearest officeworks I can get B5 envelopes for 13 cents each, otherwise about 7 minutes away by car is a kmart which I can buy C4 (which aren't the ideal size) for 20 cents each if they have them in stock. I also combine my postage so that the buyer pays the least amount possible. I also put the pattern in a thin plastic bag before putting it in the envelope and sealing it with sticky tape so that I can get it to my buyers as quickly as possible and I've done my best to make sure it arrives undamaged.

Also take a moment to think about the fact that you probably buy them online because either you don't want to pay full retail price for patterns, or you don't live near a retail store, or you want something out of print. All of my patterns are well below the RRP and that includes the postage, so please tell me, do you want us to offer free postage but then charge RRP? Also sewing patterns are not a high cost item, sellers are not making much money at all from them. I hate to break it to you but after excessive ebay fees and buyers who send it back because they didn't read the listing and thought they were getting a dresss, we probably make a couple of bucks a pattern. So excuse me if I don't want to take the price of the envelope out of that couple of bucks. Just had a nice addition to my BBL!

I can buy C5 prepaid envelopes for $1.40 or C4 for $2.70 from most AP outlets. 500g max weight, so cheaper for anything over 125g and not much more expensive for anything under, given you need to buy the envelope as well as postage.

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

My local PO is a newsagent and they don't sell many prepaid envelopes (they usually only have a couple in stock at a time and they are C5's) and a B5 is the best envelope for patterns (a C5 requires you to fold one edge of a certain brand and a C4 more often than not gets folded to go in a box even if I write do not fold on it). To go to an actual post office is 10-20 mins drive away, the 10 min drive one is in a shopping centre that is undergoing expansion and parking is limited, it's been all this year and next that these works are going on, I have a disability so walking at least 1km from a parking space isn't an ideal option. So I buy envelopes and stamps in bulk (50-100 packs) and post in my local red post box. If someone buys 4 or 5 (or more) patterns I use click and send for an ebay bag and only charge them $6. most patterns are between 55 and 85 grams so most of my postage costs are $1.50. 10 patterns and you get free postage from me. I think that's fair?

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

Just pointing out that the prepaid large letter option is available. A lot of people don't seem to realise this. I sell books. Very few are under 125g packed, but anything under 2cm will fit.

My local PO is also the newsagent. They didn't stock C5s (my most used large letter) until I asked them to. Now they do. I buy a 10-pack per fortnight, BUT they sell them to other people as well. Win-win.

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

Thanks for clarifying that. 🙂

Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

bellee78
Community Member

Jesus I didn't expect to have my head bitten off.  Ok you have made your point.  But as I said I have notice quite a difference in postage. I don't understand how one can charge $2.00 for one pattern and then someone else charge $5.00.  And I forgot to mention I brought two items charged $2 for each recieved in one envelop. This is the point I ment to make.I have used ebay for a few years on and off. And even though this happened I still gave the seller a top score and great comment. I didn't mean to upset anyone, It was just a question.

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

Just so you know I have now replied.

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

What's to understand? Some people charge more for postage than others. (They could just not do the smart thing and send in envelopes and all post their stuff in satchels, thus costing you a lot more than a couple of bucks). If you believe the postage is too high, don't bid/buy it, simple. But you can't make every person on eBay charge the exact same amount for delivery, that's ridiculous.
Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

Hi bellee - don't let it bother you too much -

Nipping away at the head occurs often on the boards depending what mood....... or beverage has influenced any particular responder and a few just can't help themselves as it is part of their nature and they sharpen their fangs almost daily.

There were a few informative and helpful replies in the 2 pages.

Most.....or a large number of

Sellers - post as letters, envelopes, AP small parcels, C&S satchels/boxes

Sellers - add a handling fee to cover price of envelope, satchel, box, bubble wrap, tape, label printing  etc etc

Majority of my postage is with C&S and the lightest weight is a 500gm satchel @ $7.15 

Auspost now have tracking on small parcels @ $6.95

I think postage all boils down to what a seller is comfortable/happy with and provides the best seller protection

The thing is - to have a look before bidding -  check seller feedback, compare item price and shipping cost - it's pretty easy to see which sellers are rorting the system in regard postage charges.

Have a great weekend

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply