Return Request

I sold some thongs a few weeks ago and got a return request the other day which says 'Item Not as Described' and her messaged added says she can't wear them.

They were brand new as described and they were the size that they were described as, so I don't know what she means that they aren't as described and why she can't wear them.

The Return Request gave me the option to send a message, so I asked in what way were they not as described and why she couldn't wear them.  I didn't get a response.  I see that she only joined ebay just before buying them and therefore has no feedback.

I contacted ebay via they're chat line aand explained the situation and said I'm always happy to refund and have done in the past, when there is a problem, but that I wasn't prepared to do it on this occassion as I know they are exactly as they were described. I told them that I had sent a message, but so far had not had a response

The person I was chatting with said that I had done the right thing by messaged and agreed with me that I shouldn't have to refund....though I do take this with a grain of salt. 

They said to wait the 3 days and if I don't hear back to contact them again and they would escalate the matter.

I'm concerned that if I do escalate this matter that they will turn around and find in their favour and automatically refund them.  I mentioned this to the chat line person and they were all 'No, we wouldn't do that....blah, blah'

It's now been 4 days since the return request was received and I sent a second message to them explaining that I had contacted ebay and they had suggested that if there was a genuine problem to send  me pictures to support their claim.....but I have had no response from them.  If it is left as it is, what will happen?  Or should I contact ebay and ask them to escalate the matter?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Return Request

No, don't ask eBay to escalate.

You have done all the right things and if the buyer doesn't respond or escalate, the case will time out and close.

Unfortunately if buyer escalates, they will probably get a refund.

But maybe the buyer cannot be bothered to send pics and will forget about it.

Good job on asking for pics. 

image host
Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

You have rightfully placed the ball into the buyer's court by asking them questions about which they have not responded.

If the case remains in this status, then after 30-days it should just time out and close in your favour.

However, they have been known not to time out, and in my case after the 30-days I called ebay and they did indeed close it in my favour when this had happened. It took a couple of days after the phone call to actually close tho.

It is risky for the seller to wait the 30-days... this is becasue at any time during this 30-days the buyer can simply come back to the case and escalate it without any further response to you. If they do this then ebay will instantly find in their favour and you will be awarded a defect of the worst kind for a case unresolved by the seller.

*** edited to correct a typo ***

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

Never escalate to ebay as a seller.

The case will be closed automatically if the buyer does not escalate it. New buyers tend to open a case on a whim, then back down and do nothing. Don't send any more messages to the buyer if they don't reply and just wait for the case to close.

In my experience, if the buyer does not respond, it usually means they have backed down. Only once in my history that a (brand new) buyer opened an INR case the first day he could on an untracked item, I asked him if he would mind waiting a little longer as AP is sometimes late, he didn't reply. Then the very first day he could escalate the case he escalated and I received an automatic defect. But that's a horror story and horror stories don't happen everyday.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

Thanks for all the responses.....It seems everyone is saying not to escalate. I have heard before that ebay will usually support the buyer in these situations.  I mentioned this to ebay and they were adamant that this isn't necessarily the case...but it seems everyone seems to think otherwise

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

I've not had one myself, but every single person I know who has, ebay has sided with the buyer 100% of the time

Personally I can't (actually, yes I can) believe the rep claimed 'they would'nt do that'

Most certainly a shoe in for pants on fire of the year award that one

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

dont forget, the buyer has been given the power to lie and get away with from ebay.

if they just say they dont fit, too small/large then i suspect ebay will side with them.

not much different than if you buy a pair of thongs in woollies, get home and find they dont fit, would you throw them away or take them back for a different size or your money back.

has something to do with 'fit for purpose' laws i think.

with ebays 'guarantee your a happy vegimite' policy sellers are in a corner with every sale, fingers crossed the buyer is 'a happy vegimite'

i'm still waiting for 'that buyer' who isnt a 'happy vegimite' or is a 'i want it free buyer'

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

Ebay's motto is

"We don't care if you're a liar as long as you're the buyer" 

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

@munchkin83munchkin wrote:

Thanks for all the responses.....It seems everyone is saying not to escalate. I have heard before that ebay will usually support the buyer in these situations.  I mentioned this to ebay and they were adamant that this isn't necessarily the case...but it seems everyone seems to think otherwise

The call centre reps are in the Phillipines, NOT eBay staff.

They often say things to keep the peace but then eBay does the opposite.

image host
Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Return Request

There is also something about "Not of merchantable quality" with regards to the "Not fit for intended purpose" argument.

I bought a Vax stick vac from Target & it wouldn't suck! (Excuse the pun!) I got my money back straight away upon return. A lot of laughs but no further questions asked from the sales staff. I had the reciept.

So I suppose the expectation is that the item will do what it's meant to do; & if it doesn't you have the right to a refund. I bought a Wertheim upright with the refund money. It was cheaper & much better than my cumbersome Dyson; but a tad heavier than a cordless stick vac to manouvere! - But I can't recommend it more highly for price & useability!

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply