Return goes missing

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone could provide some insight on this situation.

I recently had a buyer return an item due to change of mind. The item was worth nearly $1,000.

The tracking says it was delivered, but I have not received it. I am in contact with Australia Post, but they say they have limited information due to the service the buyer used to send the item back.

The buyer did not purchase a signature on delivery or insurance!

Am I screwed here? I've read that eBay require buyers to get signature on delivery for valuable items. Is that true?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Return goes missing

Thanks so much for that - I figured this is what had happened.

Definitely not left near my house. I have a giant letterbox (the size of a small fireplace). I have checked everywhere inside it many times. I seriously doubt someone stole it - I was home all day (car in driveway) and checked the letterbox about 20 minutes after it was marked as delivered.

I've had mail misdelivered before - each time people have been kind enough to return it. Fingers crossed someone does this.

Really all deliveries should have GPS scans - it would make things like this so much easier.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

But I'm guessing it was a small parcel post satchel that the postie would have stuffed into your letter box.

If they gave it to the postie instead of the parcel contractor it is definetely a small parcel, although some small parcels they give to posties are too large for the letterbox. However in this case if the tracking says delivered obviously they didn't card it.

It would probably be helpful if AusPost could ask the postie if he remembers what happened. Once I remember that I was waiting for a small express parcel they gave to the postie, and the postie just put it on the wall where all the mailboxes are because it didn't fit in... Needless to say it disappeared.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

Buyer has sent case to eBay for review. They placed a two week hold on the case while they investigate. I guess I'll find out soon what happens.. Thank you guys for all the advice.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

@hoodiejs wrote:

Buyer has sent case to eBay for review. They placed a two week hold on the case while they investigate. I guess I'll find out soon what happens.. Thank you guys for all the advice.

I was thinking they had already opened an INR case. So do you mean they have just now opened up a formal INR case?

If so, then make sure you upload the tracking number onto the case itself.

Don't just rely on it being loaded against the original order.

Also within the case send the buyer a request message to provide a copy of the signature on delivery as this is an ebay requirement for items valued at over $750 which this is.

It just gets the relevant information recorded within the case so that the ebay reviewing team have everything in front of their eyes.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

She's already opened the return case, but now she's asked eBay to review it. I was never able to add any information to the case, the only options I had was to issue a refund or ask eBay to step in.

I've contacted eBay several times with the relevant information and they've ensured me they've added it to the notes of the case.

I'm assuming next they'll be asking the buyer to provide proof of signature. All the customer support staff I've spoken to have agreed without a signature there's no refund.

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

Well I'm thinking you should be ok then.
If, for some unknown reason, they do find against you then you should be able to successfully appeal based on the fact that no signature has been requested or provided. Quote their own policy at them if this should happen.
Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

Does eBay require the signature must be the seller's signature or could be anyone's signature?

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply