Returns

I've got a situation that I'm wondering about.

I purchased a DVD from a UK seller (purchased from them before) that shipped the DVD from the UK. It's region 2, no problem there as my DVD player plays all regions.

It's a german import of an Icelandic movie and this is where the problem lies. No english subtitles. I only found this out when I received the DVD and checked. I rechecked the listing, and it does not mention this anywhere in the listing. I don't think it's asking too much to expect that a UK company, shipping something from the UK, to at least mention on the listing that it doesn't have english subtitles.

So anyways, obviously I would like to return it. And there lies in the problem. I contacted the company who advised it would need to be returned and provided the return address. However, I would have to pay the return shipping, which I've checked will be more than the value of the item. So I would get a refund, and be out of pocket and without the item.

I haven't contacted eBay yet, just wondered if people have experienced anything similiar?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Returns

Not as expected is not the same as not as described.

If the seller didn't mention subtitles one way or another, there's no reason to assume they would have been a feature. The UK is in the EU, as is Germany and Iceland, this makes the import / export situation a little more unique than importing to Aus from other countries, etc. 

It is not a good idea - or fair - to make assumptions about a product, turn those assumptions into expectations, and then view it as the seller's fault, or that they have to be the one out of pocket, just because your assumptions were incorrect. 

This is a change of mind purchase, and you are responsible for return shipping if that's what you want to do. 

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

Assumptions can lead to disappointment.

Communication is the key.

If it was me, I would slap my forehead and think - silly me, I should have asked.

To expect the seller to rectify is way out of line IMO.

image host
Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

Communication is the key, I agree. As stated, they listed about the region code on the listing, something like doesn't have english subtitles is something they should be listing.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

@draven281973 wrote:

Communication is the key, I agree. As stated, they listed about the region code on the listing, something like doesn't have english subtitles is something they should be listing.

Sure, but when it's not mentioned at all, you can't blame the seller for any assumptions that get made about a product by others.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

But I can say 'hey, I've bought heaps of items from you before and never had a problem. Isn't it poor form to not mention it on the listing and then for it to cost me more to return it to you since it's useless to me than the value of the item?'.

I assumed but it's pretty smoke and mirrors to leave it off. They mention the region as people have been caught out about it before, this is something just as important to mention.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

Isn't that just another way of saying "my assumptions in the past turned out to be correct, so I assumed my assumption would be correct this time" ? 

And you can hardly blame the seller for the cost of return postage, either - they sell DVDs, they don't run postage services in Aus, or price those services. 

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

It comes back to it should have been in the listing. If mentioning the region code is important, mentioning the subtitles is important.

I actually read the listing before I purchased to see specifically if it mentioned it. It didn't. Yes I know now, but they should at least update the listing, I messaged them to say that they should mention it, they still don't. You're right, I shouldn't have assumed, but they should also mention it on the listing.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

Why should the subtitle status be mentioned?

Region codes are necessary as we all know but why should the seller have to check whether the buyer is a speaker of the language on the DVD?  

What is to say that you are not a native of Iceland living in Australia....you would not need subtitles.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Returns

Oh come on lyndal, that's ridiculous.

That is dodgy at best and you know it. The seller has over 700+ negative feedback for the last 12 months, no wonder why. Silly me, a DVD being sent from the UK by a UK seller. Why on earth wouldn't I expect it to have at least english subtitles or be mentioned that it doesn't. Paticularly when on the front cover of the DVD the title of the movie is written in English.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply