Returns

I've got a situation that I'm wondering about.

I purchased a DVD from a UK seller (purchased from them before) that shipped the DVD from the UK. It's region 2, no problem there as my DVD player plays all regions.

It's a german import of an Icelandic movie and this is where the problem lies. No english subtitles. I only found this out when I received the DVD and checked. I rechecked the listing, and it does not mention this anywhere in the listing. I don't think it's asking too much to expect that a UK company, shipping something from the UK, to at least mention on the listing that it doesn't have english subtitles.

So anyways, obviously I would like to return it. And there lies in the problem. I contacted the company who advised it would need to be returned and provided the return address. However, I would have to pay the return shipping, which I've checked will be more than the value of the item. So I would get a refund, and be out of pocket and without the item.

I haven't contacted eBay yet, just wondered if people have experienced anything similiar?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Returns

Yes, that link was a good find by tazzie terror.

it always helps to be able to see the actual ad.

It appears to me that the only thing in English is the name of the movie and the rest of the DVD cover is in German. The title of the ad also says German import so it isn't as if a buyer could miss that information.

I think that if I were a buyer and I saw that cover, and read the title of the ad, that would be a heads up to me that the movie was not in English and I can't think of any logical reason why a person would expect English subtitles on any movie unless it is mentioned.

So if the seller does allow returns, I would classify that one as a change of mind return.

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

And for what it's worth, a 10-second google search of the barcode number given in that listing (4042564155044) leads to several product pages on various sites indicating that particular DVD release has audio in German and Icelandic only, and subtitles only in German.

I also found that tazzie when I found a listing for the same DVD on Amazon, it listed the languages and the subtitles (the DVD actually has Icelandic subtitles as well).

Here is the link to the listing of the DVD that I bought:-

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAGASON-RAGNAR-METALHEAD-GERMAN-IMPORT-DVD-NEW/303062247361?_trkparms=a...

As you can see, all it lists is Region 2 and it being a German import. It is my fault for not asking, but I've bought over foreign films plenty of items and never had an issue with not having English subtitles. I had also asked Rarewaves questions about listings in the past and they never responded, so I took a chance. It is my fault at the end of the day, I just think how hard is it to update a listing? I even said to them that they should update the listing so others don't get caught out, but it must be in the 'too hard' basket. I'm going to be returning so will see what happens.

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

I don't think you can assume subtitles unless they are specifically mentioned, so that's a lesson for next time I guess, but what you are telling us about the seller is not impressing me at all.

A seller (and I personally do not care how big or small they are-if they are big, they can get staff) should normally respond to questions. I realise they might miss the occasional one, but you say you have asked several questions in the past & he has ignored them all.

In my opinion, that is a seller to ignore. I would not buy from him. 

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

I have had just the opposite experience with that seller Springy.

I have bought a number of DVDs from them and they have always answered any questions that I have asked....not that I have had to ask many because I mainly buy UK releases with no subtitle complications.  In fact, these day if I am after a Region 2 DVD I will actively seek them out to see if they have what I want as I have always found their prices very competitive and shipping very fast.

I don't think it fair to write off a seller based on the experience of one member when the actions of that member left a lot to be desired.

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

I was more or less suggesting it for draven, lyndall. Not necessarily everyone else.

I think a buyer should go on their own experiences. Personally, if i had a seller ignore several messages from me, I would not be inclined to buy from them.

If we look at it, a lot of sellers here probably have some people on their blocked list, based on one personal experience, yet some of those buyers may have been fine with lots of other sellers.

I've also seen some people here suggest it is risky to buy from any seller with a % under 99.5%.

That in itself is a pretty wide sweep I always think. But the seller in question falls slightly below that.

I have bought from sellers with lower % where other people have obviously had issues, yet found the sellers were fine and obviously you have had good experiences with draven's seller.

So I suppose the situation is every buyer has to make their own decision but for sure, my own personal experiences with a seller do influence me. I don't buy DVDs so I won't be tempted one way or another with this seller though.Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Yes, that link was a good find by tazzie terror.

it always helps to be able to see the actual ad.

Took some finding, too - was on page *50* of "Feedback left for others" by the seller, at the time I searched for it.  Add a few more pages onto that now no doubt.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

Tazzie, that is true dedication!!!

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply